The Student Room Group

Does the retainer after braces close gap(s) between front teeth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Endless Blue
I suspect it's the latter. Therefore, I guess I'm going to have to see if I can get train tracks again if I want this gap closed? :frown: I'm not even sure they will do it as my treatment's on the NHS.

Once they're off, they charge to put them back in on the NHS.
I'm sure your orthodontist will give you a solution, just ask him/her when you see them. Or you could call them if you're really worried. Everything will be fine!

I would like to know what he says.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kill3er
Once they're off, they charge to put them back in on the NHS.
I'm sure your orthodontist will give you a solution, just ask him/her when you see them. Or you could call them if you're really worried. Everything will be fine!

I would like to know what he says.

Oh. Great. Yeah, I really hope so, but the more I think about it the more convinced I am they won't do anything. So I guess my next option is seeing if there's an easy cosmetic solution for gaps in teeth. Yay.
Reply 22
Oh. Great. Yeah, I really hope so, but the more I think about it the more convinced I am they won't do anything. So I guess my next option is seeing if there's an easy cosmetic solution for gaps in teeth. Yay.

One option could be going for the bonded retainer and paying for it. Most orthodontists AFAIK will allow you to pay for that individual treatment if you wish and it would obviously be cheaper than a whole course of braces etc.

xxx

EDIT: Though I was under the impression the bonded retainer was simply a wire to hold the teeth in place. But the poster above obviously had one which was tightened every now and then so I guess ask your ortho about that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Nope. Certainly nothing like the one I have now. The thing is, it developed as my treatment progressed; it was only really noticeable within the last few months. I thought that they would close it back up but today he said "right, let's take them of then" and it all happened rather quickly. If the retainer doesn't fix this, I will protest and hopefully see if I can get another top train track fitted for a few months or something. It's a really small gap but it's definitely noticeable and I hate it! But my logic is this: if the gap wasn't there in the first place, they can surely close it?

Yes of course.
Listen -
I wore braces twice because originally I wore them to just fill the gap as I had a wide-ish one, which I was never bothered about but my mom strides towards perfection so we went to the dentist. Later after some time they took it off and the gap was closed, it was all good, only to find that with time the gap started to appear again, so I went and got braces again :redface: And then when they took them off to make sure the problem didn't happen again they put a metal wire behind my front 4 upper teeth and it held my teeth and there was never a gap until once I took a bite of an apple or smthng and metal wiring broke. About week ago I took off the wire, and there's a gap there now but it's smaller and I am not bothered whatsoever :wink: My point is wiring is very good for holding the teeth and preventing the gap :smile:
Reply 24
I have retainers and all they do is maintain your teeth just how they looked after you get your braces removed. If you do not wear your retainer, then the gap will get bigger. Talk your orthodontist about this because really that gap should have closed off when you have the braces. However it may be the case that you have undersized teeth like me and so you may need some cosmetic work to close up the gaps.
Original post by chur
I have retainers and all they do is maintain your teeth just how they looked after you get your braces removed. If you do not wear your retainer, then the gap will get bigger. Talk your orthodontist about this because really that gap should have closed off when you have the braces. However it may be the case that you have undersized teeth like me and so you may need some cosmetic work to close up the gaps.

The thing is though, if I don't wear my retainer the gap will probably close because it was never there before I had braces, but my teeth will no longer be straight. I'm just praying that my orthodontist will be able to fix this next week because I've already had them off now in an unexpected fashion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. Certainly nothing like the one I have now. The thing is, it developed as my treatment progressed; it was only really noticeable within the last few months. I thought that they would close it back up but today he said "right, let's take them of then" and it all happened rather quickly. If the retainer doesn't fix this, I will protest and hopefully see if I can get another top train track fitted for a few months or something. It's a really small gap but it's definitely noticeable and I hate it! But my logic is this: if the gap wasn't there in the first place, they can surely close it?

Can you post a picture or get your braces back on?
Reply 27
The thing is though, if I don't wear my retainer the gap will probably close because it was never there before I had braces, but my teeth will no longer be straight. I'm just praying that my orthodontist will be able to fix this next week because I've already had them off now in an unexpected fashion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From my experience when I had functional appliances (a special type of brace) I got a big gap in my front teeth that I didn't have before. Then I had about 2 to 3 months off without any sort of braces before having by wired braces put in. During that 2-3 month period my gap didn't close up. But yeah just ask your orthodontist about the gap he will give you a solution.
Original post by chur
From my experience when I had functional appliances (a special type of brace) I got a big gap in my front teeth that I didn't have before. Then I had about 2 to 3 months off without any sort of braces before having by wired braces put in. During that 2-3 month period my gap didn't close up. But yeah just ask your orthodontist about the gap he will give you a solution.

Ok, this sounds pretty similar to me. Was your treatment on the NHS?
Reply 29
Ok, this sounds pretty similar to me. Was your treatment on the NHS?

No private. It would have been if I waited a little longer but I had to get it done quickly because the functional appliances wouldn't have worked if I waited for a year or 2.
Original post by chur
No private. It would have been if I waited a little longer but I had to get it done quickly because the functional appliances wouldn't have worked if I waited for a year or 2.

I see. Well hopefully my orthodontist will give me a solution to this; if they've moved my teeth this much they must be able to close a gap they created.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did your gap ever close ?
I have the same problem with my teeth and I'm worried about it. I get my braces off in 8 days :/
Ok so did your gap close up? I have one in between my front teeth and I get my braces off in 8 days... So I'm kinda freaking out.
Reply 33
I just got my permanent bottom retainer taken off after four years because it was doing more harm than good. I have a top one that I'm supposed to wear at night, but I haven't worn it in forever and my teeth haven't really moved at all.
Reply 34
Hello,

I have the same problem. My braces were taken off today and I have the tiny gap between my two middle front teeth (upper arch) which I am concerned about. I was fitted with bonded retainers for the time being. I will wear removable ones as well when they are ready. I really don't want that gap there. Can anything be done? Should I raise my concern with my orthodontist?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Karine
Reply 35
i got my braces removed 6 moths ago n i didn't take the retainers....n now i hv a gap in my front teeth...:'( how to get rid of that gap....:frown: do i need to take the ortho treatment again???
If you dont wear your retainers and your teeth move...yes....you will need braces to move them back again...moral of the story is WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!
Unfortunately, I wouldn't have thought retainers would close gaps; I think they're used just to stop teeth from moving.
Reply 38
Hi there,
I can see your post from 2013 and I wonder how your teeth are now since then. I also had braces and a gap appeared between the front two teeth and it's getting wider. I wore my retainer every night and now I'm worried about this matter. Can you please advice???
Reply 39
I've had the exact same problem. I took them off today and already I got a very noticeable gap in the front two teeth. I'm gettin my retainers next week. Could you let me know if the retainers helped with your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest