The Student Room Group

Sixth form colleges for a 27-year-old international?

Hi :smile: I'm a college student outside the EU.

Recently I decided to continue my studies in the UK which I have been stopped after the GCSEs. My plan is to apply with my old GCSE results and 3~4 A LEVEL grades.

The thing is, I'll be about 27-28 after graduation. So.. would there be A LEVEL colleges accepting people at that age? I did happen to read about some people starting late A LEVELs on this website, but they are still too young! (22~24,25..) Besides, I'm not English or a EU citizen... This makes me a very unusual case.

I've made some contact with a few colleges where they say mature students are welcomed.. However so far I'm not receiving nice responses from them :frown: I'm a bit down these days because of this.

So, anybody around 27-28 who've managed to start A LEVELs in somewhere, please give me some info/advice :smile: I'm soooo desperate!

Have a nice day!
Reply 1
What do you mean by you're not receiving nice responses? They've said you are welcome..... or are they trying to push you to do an access course instead?
Reply 2
Original post by SAFFLOWER

Recently I decided to continue my studies in the UK which I have been stopped after the GCSEs. My plan is to apply with my old GCSE results and 3~4 A LEVEL grades.

The thing is, I'll be about 27-28 after graduation. So.. would there be A LEVEL colleges accepting people at that age? I did happen to read about some people starting late A LEVELs on this website, but they are still too young! (22~24,25..) Besides, I'm not English or a EU citizen... This makes me a very unusual case.

I've made some contact with a few colleges where they say mature students are welcomed.. However so far I'm not receiving nice responses from them :frown: I'm a bit down these days because of this.

So, anybody around 27-28 who've managed to start A LEVELs in somewhere, please give me some info/advice :smile: I'm soooo desperate!

Have a nice day!

You should first contact the university you are interested to pursue a course in and ask them if your existing qualifications are adequate or if it isn't they could suggest something that you could do such as a foundation year.

You could also self-study the A Levels through distance learning instead of attending a 6th Form.
Reply 3
So.. would there be A LEVEL colleges accepting people at that age?

You could do A Levels at a college of further education, as they don't have age limits. Or you could self-teach, use distance learning or evening classes (although those depend on whether the local education authority runs them).

Sixth form colleges will only accept school-age people to 18/19.
Reply 4
Hi,

I noticed that you are a Korean as I am.

Currently I am on a same situation as you (except that I am 23 years old), trying to study A levels in order to get into the university.

Like the others have said here on your thread, you can either study the A levels through online distance learning, or apply to the colleges within the UK.

I am eyeing on few colleges here in London, just deciding whether i should wait until the course start or start studying right away through distance learning. Currently debating if I should study AS level alone and A2 level at a college.

http://www.openstudycollege.com/
this is the distance learning college i found searching online.

Perhaps we can share some information we come across? It might be beneficial for both of us :smile:
What are the names of the sixth forms you applied to as I am looking to go to a sixth form college to I am 26.

So, anybody around 27-28 who've managed to start A LEVELs in somewhere, please

What is the name of the sixth form colleges you applied to I am 26

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending