The Student Room Group

Girls, do you prefer your guy to give you lots of space and how much?

Will it come across as needy if I even text her before she texts me?

I've started to feel I should not even contact her until she shows that she is willing to engage in conversation that day because people tell me I'm too clingy wanting to ask how she is every day (unless she specifically says she's unavailable of course, which I would respect, just as I hope she'd respect me if I was in that situation)
Part of the 'guys should be independent' belief I have. Reality is there will be days I'm home doing sweet FA, maybe playing video games or watching TV to chill, or studying. Don't want to have to constantly seem busy to keep interest levels high, it's an artificial way to live.
I really think you're a determined troll.
Reply 2
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
I really think you're a determined troll.

Why?
Reply 3
I like space but not too much space, it's nice to know someone wants to text you randomly but 24/7 wouldn't appeal to me.
If you're a couple then no of course it's not 'needy' to text her first :s-smilie: calm down dude.
Reply 5
I love waking up in the morning and reading a texting saying "morning beautiful" it's the best feeling! If you don't message her she'll think you ain't interested

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're together, then just talk whenever you want, you shouldn't really be giving off a vibe that you are too needy if you're in a relationship, unless of course you're bombarding them with texts and phone calls, not letting the other person breathe.

However, if you're just wanting to get to know the person and nothing is official, then I would just message them every so often, it's not about artificially, pretending to be busy, it's just about continuing to get on with your life, doing what you would usually be doing, if that other person was not there, basically showing that your life does not revolve around them, which I'm sure it doesn't.
Reply 7
I like space. I like to spend time by myself, but i also like intimacy and just spending nights together watching films or just having company.
So both. Probably space though.
Reply 8
Original post by stargirl63
If you're together, then just talk whenever you want, you shouldn't really be giving off a vibe that you are too needy if you're in a relationship, unless of course you're bombarding them with texts and phone calls, not letting the other person breathe.

However, if you're just wanting to get to know the person and nothing is official, then I would just message them every so often, it's not about artificially, pretending to be busy, it's just about continuing to get on with your life, doing what you would usually be doing, if that other person was not there, basically showing that your life does not revolve around them, which I'm sure it doesn't.

So the traditional definition of clingy and needy is actually to be so attached that you have absolutely no life and try to make every waking moment of our day together in some way?
Of course I wouldn't want to do that, that'd suffocate us both. (I have felt I might have texted her one too many times when she was busy in the past though...but then perhaps not)

Well I've been going out with her for 8 months now and for the most part I do this but sometimes I end up thinking of her even while I'm doing it...I like to think it shows I care, but I don't know whether it's being too attached.
I have over-thought on more than one occasion though, for example I'll be sitting in relaxing or studying (or just with no plans!) missing her while she's doing X like a committee or social, and feel 'hmm I really should be doing something too so I don't look like a loser' -but then I'm sure she has times I'm out and she's stuck in missing me, so perhaps this is a non-issue

Tbh this sounds silly, I think I'm about to ask the people of TSR if they're going to approve of the fact I'm in love. Ffs
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I've been with my bf for over 3 years, over 2 of those Long Distance, so we text/FB message/skype every day, several times a day.
What I don't like is having "morning" "boring day" "night" and very little variation on that all week. I like it when we can engage in discussion about what each other did today. I also love it when I get up to a cute animal picture rather than a good morning once every so often, or when I prepare the same in return!
Original post by Riku
Well I've been going out with her for 8 months now and for the most part I do this but sometimes I end up thinking of her even while I'm doing it...I like to think it shows I care, but I don't know whether it's being too attached.
I have over-thought on more than one occasion though, for example I'll be sitting in relaxing or studying (or just with no plans!) missing her while she's doing X like a committee or social, and feel 'hmm I really should be doing something too so I don't look like a loser' -but then I'm sure she has times I'm out and she's stuck in missing me, so perhaps this is a non-issue

Tbh this sounds silly, I think I'm about to ask the people of TSR if they're going to approve of the fact I'm in love. Ffs

I don't think it's a good idea to be comparing yourself to her. Everyone is different. Some people like to be more involved, some people prefer their own company. You don't need to be matching her and being busy every time she is, just do you and she will respect that.
Reply 11
I shall reply on behalf of my ex girlfriend:

"NO! I want to talk to you and be with you constantly and I don't want you to ever not be texting me if you're not with me, and I don't want you to have other friends, and I don't want you to do things that I'm not invited to as well, and I don't want to give you any chance to do the important things you need to do in your life, and I want you to not apply to Cambridge, so then you can go to a university closer to me and we never have to be apart. Or even better, you could not go to university and instead get a full-time job and then we can get our own place, and then I can have your babies and then we can never spend any time apart ever again!".

:biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by stargirl63
I don't think it's a good idea to be comparing yourself to her. Everyone is different. Some people like to be more involved, some people prefer their own company. You don't need to be matching her and being busy every time she is, just do you and she will respect that.

Everyone says this but I also keep hearing that most women want ambitious, successful and downright busy men, which means I now feel guilty/less of a man/less attractive when I am less busy than her/relaxing

Of course I could be taking things to the extreme as I do
Reply 13
Original post by Jamerson
I shall reply on behalf of my ex girlfriend:

"NO! I want to talk to you and be with you constantly and I don't want you to ever not be texting me if you're not with me, and I don't want you to have other friends, and I don't want you to do things that I'm not invited to as well, and I don't want to give you any chance to do the important things you need to do in your life, and I want you to not apply to Cambridge, so then you can go to a university closer to me and we never have to be apart. Or even better, you could not go to university and instead get a full-time job and then we can get our own place, and then I can have your babies and then we can never spend any time apart ever again!".

:biggrin:

Oh God nightmare.
In hindsight I am nowhere near this level of obsession even, if anything feeling, for example, I have to wait 36 hours instead of 32, or until she contacts me first, before contacting her because 36 was the cut off point where her interest levels would have been raised by 50%, is more of an OCD thing by the looks of it :/
Reply 14
Original post by Katie_p
I've been with my bf for over 3 years, over 2 of those Long Distance, so we text/FB message/skype every day, several times a day.
What I don't like is having "morning" "boring day" "night" and very little variation on that all week. I like it when we can engage in discussion about what each other did today. I also love it when I get up to a cute animal picture rather than a good morning once every so often, or when I prepare the same in return!

I can understand that. After all if they're bored all week then it raises the question, are they depressed, are they too negative or is their life actually just kinda boring? All of those would be things to consider
I like the animal idea :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Riku
I can understand that. After all if they're bored all week then it raises the question, are they depressed, are they too negative or is their life actually just kinda boring? All of those would be things to consider
I like the animal idea :biggrin:

Haha I was actualy thinking more along the lines of making a pointless comment about their day that doesn't welcome discussion rather than thinking they find their life constantly boring, but yes, that would suck!
The animal thing is great. Also the occasional 3/4AM sober "you know I really love you and I just had to tell you. right now". Although not by text the night before an exam. That would be bad!
Reply 16
Original post by Riku
Oh God nightmare.
In hindsight I am nowhere near this level of obsession even, if anything feeling, for example, I have to wait 36 hours instead of 32, or until she contacts me first, before contacting her because 36 was the cut off point where her interest levels would have been raised by 50%, is more of an OCD thing by the looks of it :/

I typed my post as a humorous expression of my train-wreck relationship, but I fear that it is possibly actually having a negative effect on you, since you are worried that you will become clingy, and I've provided an example of where possessiveness has ruined my relationship.
Just talk to her, buddy! You'll know if she's not interested in texting if you are the last one to send a message and you get a response that doesn't provoke a reply. That's when you leave it.

Go get 'em tiger! :wink:
I can't stand clingy people so I love my space so you might wanna take a step back but don't walk away
I don't like being left alone. I prefer to spend time with a person I love and care for.
If you're an official couple, you should want to spend lots of time together.
I see my boyfriend everyday and have done for the two years we have been together.
I don't understand it when couples go on holiday seperately or spend their time on their own.

Just my opinion. :smile:
If you want to get in touch, get in touch.

I love my partner, and love spending time with him, but I also like to do my own thing. I could never be part of a couple that does everything together. Even when we're in the flat together I like it on the evenings he's at work because I can have a few hours chilling out watching TV that he might not like - even though I do look forward to him coming home again. When we're both in I might go into the other room to read a book, or I might watch a film while he's using his laptop. Also we will go to see our respective parents alone sometimes, and have friends who we don't see together all the time.

Being together is great, but you always need time to remember that you are an individual person. You're not half of a couple, you're the WHOLE of YOU!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending