The Student Room Group

Will my friend forget me?

Not sure how guys operate. I got kind of close-ish to a guy, we have been friends for 2 years but my mental health kinda went downhill. I started focusing too much on every friend and I just want time away to detach because I'm putting unhealthy expectations on them and I don't want to become resentful.
So I told him about this, and eventually we both actually finally opened up to each other. He reassured me a lot, even told me his story when he didn't need to, just all that stuff. I admit I impulsively tried to end the friendship, I may have already got to that mental stage, but I regretted it soon after. I even asked for him to ignore my message. But I think, sensibly speaking, it's best for me to take time away.
I have a lot of abandonment issues and this is the first time I've ever found a guy that I can kind of get comfortable with. Sorry for generalising, but I feel like guys just don't care as much... I always wanted a connection that just felt like a friendship between 2 girls.
If I go on a break for a month or 2, (bare in mind, he also went on a 3 week break before this), will he forget about me?
If things get awkward, can you guys give me ways to just accept this?

We are also purely platonic, thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Not sure how guys operate. I got kind of close-ish to a guy, we have been friends for 2 years but my mental health kinda went downhill. I started focusing too much on every friend and I just want time away to detach because I'm putting unhealthy expectations on them and I don't want to become resentful.
So I told him about this, and eventually we both actually finally opened up to each other. He reassured me a lot, even told me his story when he didn't need to, just all that stuff. I admit I impulsively tried to end the friendship, I may have already got to that mental stage, but I regretted it soon after. I even asked for him to ignore my message. But I think, sensibly speaking, it's best for me to take time away.
I have a lot of abandonment issues and this is the first time I've ever found a guy that I can kind of get comfortable with. Sorry for generalising, but I feel like guys just don't care as much... I always wanted a connection that just felt like a friendship between 2 girls.
If I go on a break for a month or 2, (bare in mind, he also went on a 3 week break before this), will he forget about me?
If things get awkward, can you guys give me ways to just accept this?

We are also purely platonic, thanks

he won't forget you. he sounds like a good friends who is really putting in the effort to be there for you. it'll hurt him yes, but im sure he'll forget all about that when you eventually talk to him again in a better mental state.
Are girls really this oblivious? You think he wants to be friends with a girl??

He’s in love with you ffs

You assume that every guy who has a platonic female friend is secretly in love with her?
Dude, life isn't a rom com. That's just not the case at all.
It sounds like he won't forget you.
A close & committed plantonic friend will be fine with giving you some space to work on improving your health and other issues.
Are girls really this oblivious? You think he wants to be friends with a girl??

He’s in love with you ffs

no he's in love with somebody else. I'm not in the mental state to pursue anyone anyways. can't imagine the paranoia
Original post by ihatedctinrs
he won't forget you. he sounds like a good friends who is really putting in the effort to be there for you. it'll hurt him yes, but im sure he'll forget all about that when you eventually talk to him again in a better mental state.

Original post by londonmyst
It sounds like he won't forget you.
A close & committed plantonic friend will be fine with giving you some space to work on improving your health and other issues.

yeah, thank you guys... I guess we'll just never know though. truthfully I overthink a lot when it comes to him, sometimes he can be like I describe him here, but sometimes he feels cold. it's hard to tell what he wants. I guess I can't expect too much but makes it feel one-sided. that's partly why I'm going, just to stop this stress and to just see him casually, not like he's one of my other close friends
no he's in love with somebody else. I'm not in the mental state to pursue anyone anyways. can't imagine the paranoia

You don’t know that. He is obviously in love with you or would never have opened up to you.

Stop making stuff up to make your self feel better about not wanting him.

You don’t need to do that. If you don’t want him that’s fine. tell him that and don’t speak to him again as you’ll lead him on. (Don’t ask if he loves you/has feelings for you because you know he won’t admit it).
You don’t know that. He is obviously in love with you or would never have opened up to you.

Stop making stuff up to make your self feel better about not wanting him.

You don’t need to do that. If you don’t want him that’s fine. tell him that and don’t speak to him again as you’ll lead him on. (Don’t ask if he loves you/has feelings for you because you know he won’t admit it).

are you a guy yourself? if not then you should stop insisting it.
i'm not making up anything... if i wanted to leave him i had the chance right there.
he likes someone else, he told me himself. he's a friend that probably finds it easier to talk about love and crushes with a girl rather than a guy who'd probably laugh at him for it
are you a guy yourself? if not then you should stop insisting it.
i'm not making up anything... if i wanted to leave him i had the chance right there.
he likes someone else, he told me himself. he's a friend that probably finds it easier to talk about love and crushes with a girl rather than a guy who'd probably laugh at him for it

He’s a weak simp. He will never get any girls he wants.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
You assume that every guy who has a platonic female friend is secretly in love with her?
Dude, life isn't a rom com. That's just not the case at all.

No way. TSR removed my post 💀. The censorship on this platform is worse than North Korea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending