The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield - Journalism Studies 2014

Scroll to see replies

In terms of accredidations for journalism in Sheffield when we graduate does it mean we will have all three accredidations or does it mean te modules support all three and we have to take the exams privately?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by cyndikinz
In terms of accredidations for journalism in Sheffield when we graduate does it mean we will have all three accredidations or does it mean te modules support all three and we have to take the exams privately?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes we'll have all three, we have to take the exams set by all three acredited bodies, and if we pass then it means we have their qualifications. Normally we only really need the qualification from the NCTJ for a job being a journalist, but having the other two will make us all stand out!! And we take the exams at Sheffield! I think they pay for the first exam, then if we fail we have to pay for the resit ourselves
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sophiestewart
Yes we'll have all three, we have to take the exams set by all three acredited bodies, and if we pass then it means we have their qualifications. Normally we only really need the qualification from the NCTJ for a job being a journalist, but having the other two will make us all stand out!! And we take the exams at Sheffield! I think they pay for the first exam, then if we fail we have to pay for the resit ourselves

My gosh that's amazing !!
I really didn't want to leave my hometown London but the only university's there that do njtc accredidiated course ( and are decent university's) is Brunel and I hated it 😭
I guess it'll be stupid to go to a non accredidiated I'm still waiting from offers from city university and ual , but I'm doubting if it's worth it now eek!!
Original post by cyndikinz
My gosh that's amazing !!
I really didn't want to leave my hometown London but the only university's there that do njtc accredidiated course ( and are decent university's) is Brunel and I hated it 😭
I guess it'll be stupid to go to a non accredidiated I'm still waiting from offers from city university and ual , but I'm doubting if it's worth it now eek!!

It really is! That's shy Sheffield is so amazing for Journalism! makes it even better that they have around 600 applicants and they only have 60 places, so we're the lucky ones!
Got a conditional offer off Sheffield, like most of you, for ABB. Predicted grades are also ABB. I will be attending the open day at the start of April, anyone else attending that day?
Original post by liambcfchunt
Got a conditional offer off Sheffield, like most of you, for ABB. Predicted grades are also ABB. I will be attending the open day at the start of April, anyone else attending that day?

Congrats! i'm going on 5th March
Hey guys, applied what seems like ages ago now (late october) and I also have a conditional offer of ABB.

Is anyone else going on an applicant visit day? I'm going 5th March :smile:
Original post by thewhoviannerd
Hey guys, applied what seems like ages ago now (late october) and I also have a conditional offer of ABB.

Is anyone else going on an applicant visit day? I'm going 5th March :smile:

I'm going on 5th march tooo!!!
Reply 28
Likewise 5th March.

Also have any of you purchased the Shorthand book they suggested on the open day? I got it for Christmas, haven't had a chance to start yet due to A level work
Original post by ConnorMcD
Likewise 5th March.

Also have any of you purchased the Shorthand book they suggested on the open day? I got it for Christmas, haven't had a chance to start yet due to A level work

I got it for christmas and i'm on 30 words per minute atm!
Reply 30
I got it for christmas and i'm on 30 words per minute atm!

Wow, good job :smile: H

How have you found it so far? Looks pretty difficult looking through ti
Wow, good job :smile: H

How have you found it so far? Looks pretty difficult looking through ti

It was pretty simple up to unit 6 I think, but now it's literally impossible! :frown:
Reply 32
Going to the journalism department visit on the 26th Feb!
Original post by liamausten
Going to the journalism department visit on the 26th Feb!

is this a department open day? i'm going on the 5th March! :smile:
Reply 34
is this a department open day? i'm going on the 5th March! :smile:

I think so, I've already recieved an offer and this is to have a look around the journalism department and have talks etc! I don't know anyone going on Wednesday hahaha :frown:
Original post by liamausten
I think so, I've already recieved an offer and this is to have a look around the journalism department and have talks etc! I don't know anyone going on Wednesday hahaha :frown:

Well i'm going next week! :smile: excited to go back to sheffield!
Reply 36
Facilities were pretty poor to be honest. NTU and DMU were better in my opinion. They are moving building, so that should be better.

Still will be my firm choice, went to Endcliffe to look at accommodation, and looked really good.

How was everyone else's days?
Facilities were pretty poor to be honest. NTU and DMU were better in my opinion. They are moving building, so that should be better.

Still will be my firm choice, went to Endcliffe to look at accommodation, and looked really good.

How was everyone else's days?

It was great! loved it! yeah the dept doesn't look as good as Lincoln, but the room at the end of the tour with all the tv's around it was nice!
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to this site so I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I hope this is right haha. I also have an offer to study Journalism with AAB requirements and just wanted to see what other potential students are talking about.

I went to an open day last September and more recently yesterday, which just ended up making me even more excited to study here! How are you feeling about Sheffield - are you still all intent on going there?
Reply 39
Original post by settleforadraw
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to this site so I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I hope this is right haha. I also have an offer to study Journalism with AAB requirements and just wanted to see what other potential students are talking about.

I went to an open day last September and more recently yesterday, which just ended up making me even more excited to study here! How are you feeling about Sheffield - are you still all intent on going there?

Hello, this is the right place however this thread has been pretty dead recently.

I had an offer of ABB, so surprised if you had AAB? Either way, Sheffield is my firm choice. I have been twice (once in September and in March for the department open day) I really liked the city and university itself. The Journalism department in all fairness was pretty average compared to NTU and DMU however they are moving buildings for September so I expect it to be better then, nevertheless, Sheffield remains my firm choice with Nottingham Trent as my insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending