The Student Room Group

What sort of school did you go to?

Poll

What type(s) of school did you go to?

Just out of interest really, I wondered what sort of school most TSR users went to. :smile:

I personally went to several. But for primary up to yr9 I was in state schools, and then I moved to my local state-funded grammar for GCSEs and A-levels.

I also went to a middle school for a bit, which used to take yr6-yr9s but which has now converted to a normal high school, I think, and that was a really cool experience. My primary school was also C of E, and I think most of my friends went to faith schools for primary too.

I find it interesting to think about, because there are so many different types of schooling when you think about it, and I wonder if they produce different types of people.

And lastly, do you think the type of school you went to has helped shape the person you are / your career?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

State school
Reply 2
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
State school

do you think that going to a state school affected you as a person? or affected your career choice at all?
Reply 3
state school, which turned into an acadamy after i left and was ruined by that move :yep:
State. It was awesome. I'd love to teach there.
Original post by willbee
do you think that going to a state school affected you as a person? or affected your career choice at all?

In some ways. It was **** and I was picked on pretty badly, which left me with severe depression and anxiety which still causes me problems. So there's that.

But on the positive side, we also had really awesome PSHE where we actually learned about decent stuff so I came out really knowledgable about stuff that actually mattered.

But my best experience that actually shaped me was going to a state college in the city. Absolutely fabulous. Really amazing people, so much diversity, met my friends and partner and had some brilliant teachers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
My schools for primary and middle school have been state schools, but for high school I am now in private school - all schools have been equally as good.
Reply 7
But no, my schools didn't shape me as a person :tongue: My parents did; friends etc. but not school much - however they did help me with shaping my uni choices and provided very supportive education and teachers, and also provided countless activities and opportunities (whether for uni applications or else).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
state and private school on the weekends for a while, i also had private tutoring
Technology College for me. I'm not sure what this meant particularly, other than we had to choose a technology for GCSE (which resulted in me making jam tarts for the best part of a year.. got an A for them though)!
Reply 10
State, all girls' school. I liked it there but that probably isn't the case for most but I can honestly attest to the fact that I think I have become less bothered about relationships and all the fuss that happens normally and was better focused on my work and studies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by BlossomS
State, all girls' school. I liked it there but that probably isn't the case for most but I can honestly attest to the fact that I think I have become less bothered about relationships and all the fuss that happens normally and was better focused on my work and studies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard all girls' schools have got bitchy atmospheres - is it true or is it just another generalization in your opinion?! :tongue:
Private only-girls Methodist boarding school (Year 1-Year 7) , American international mixed 'druggy' school (Grade 8-Grade 12) and then back to the first (Sixth Form). The first school was rather strange as an atheist, in junior school no one bothered reading out bible passages but in senior school we had to go to church occasionally for services, and there were assemblies twice a week. I quite enjoyed the hymns though, and it had an excellent theatre and music block. As for the second, it was rather small. It was beside a lake in a sweet little building which (ironically) used to be a nunnery. I found it hard to get settled in. People were far less 'ladylike' there, and often got kinda bitchy. I arrived when everyone else was about 14 though, and they mostly grew out of it. It's reputation improved a little as time went on, though I met a guy everyone referred to as 'Stoney' in a bar once. I immediately understood why it had had the reputation. We had these awesome trips every year (called PDWs)- they were mixed year groups, and we got to choose which one we wanted to go on out of a selection of about 10. Also, for the first half term after Christmas we got to participate in an activity every Monday afternoon (again, of our choosing). In summer, we swam in the lake. It was a lot less formal there and most of the teachers didn't mind if you called them by their first names. They (unofficially) allowed high school students one unexplained absence per year before they did something about it. When I returned to England I was a little shocked by all the rules. We weren't allowed to leave during free periods anymore, which was like going back two grades, and we had to wear suits and call teachers "sir" and "ma'am". We did have our own building and an unlimited supply of tea and biscuits though, so it wasn't all bad. The teaching wasn't really comparable, the different schools were stronger in different subjects, and you couldn't do A-Levels at the international school. The boarding school had better on-site facilities.
(edited 10 years ago)
I went to a private school and absolutely loved it. Though I went to a state 6th form I can't really compare my experiences as I assume a different kind of student stays on for 6th form anyway. I'm not sure if it helped form my personality but it did wonders for my education. I studied Latin at GCSE which greatly helped my comprehension of many other languages, and school trips were invaluable (trips to Rome, skiing etc). I'd recommend it to anyone if they could afford it (which my parents barely could + I had a 1/3 scholarship) and I would certainly send my children to a private school. The main reason it was better was a focus on all-round student development as a person, and not just forcing you through an exam system to keep the school afloat - there was greater focus on extra-curricular achievements.

As for career prospects etc I don't really think it's been a massive advantage apart from in a private school the expectation is that you will go to uni and succeed etc, whereas I don't think the culture/attitude is the same in all state schools (please correct me if wrong)?
Original post by SoftPunch
I've heard all girls' schools have got bitchy atmospheres - is it true or is it just another generalization in your opinion?! :tongue:

I don't think there is any more of a bitchy atmosphere than in any other school :confused:
Reply 15

Actually no, even I had this view before I started attending but tbh, we were a friendly bunch :tongue: not saying there weren't any b***hs but they just were ignored.
Reply 16
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I don't think there is any more of a bitchy atmosphere than in any other school :confused:

Don't know. Two of my best friends were at such schools before and they said the girls there were nasty.
Original post by BlossomS
Actually no, even I had this view before I started attending but tbh, we were a friendly bunch :tongue: not saying there weren't any b***hs but they just were ignored.

I see :tongue:
Don't know. Two of my best friends were at such schools before and they said the girls there were nasty.

I see :tongue:

I think you'll find nasty people from all walks of life, just depends on how much you let them affect you! We didn't have any particularly nasty people in our year, but I think having a small class size/year size helps - you tend to bond with everyone in your class which makes it difficult for people to get away with being a bitch.
Reply 18
I think you'll find nasty people from all walks of life, just depends on how much you let them affect you! We didn't have any particularly nasty people in our year, but I think having a small class size/year size helps - you tend to bond with everyone in your class which makes it difficult for people to get away with being a bitch.

Ah, good for you and I see what you mean :h:
What I think my friends were saying is that there was a large proportion of such girls at those schools, so if let's say wherever you go you will meet 50% nice people, 50% of people who are rude, look down at you and think they are better, at their schools the latter percentage was 80.
Basically they said making friends there was particularly hard as the atmosphere wasn't pleasant.
Reply 19

But I think it also comes down to the school itself; I don't think we can generalize - I know some schools which are plain nasty and some that are more or less balanced and some that are exceptionally good. So, I think it all comes down to the particular, specific school itself :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest