The Student Room Group

i'm 18 and my bf is 41 so is it possible to have a success marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by beckaroo7
There's nothing actually wrong with an age gap but
1 How long have you been going out?
2 How did you meet him?
3 18 is very young to be getting married anyway

playing tennis, swimming and watching movies for 2 years :h:
tennising :tongue:
we might not marry maybe just plan to :smile:
we live like i'm a wife anyway lol.

Original post by Nathanielle
The only problem I see here is that you may act to fast, as if you love each other, living together some time before marriage and getting used to actually livving with each other, doesn't seem a problem to me. And I understand that a big career is not for everyone and a marriage is also working in the classical way, that two persons work together for one family, without there has to be one left out (be shure you are financially safe after something would happen!!!). Nevertheless why don't you wait one or two years? You are just 18, which means you relationship hasn't even got the legal time, so it doesn't last very long!

Another thing is, you will have to care for your husband and stay with him, at an age, other may go on to adventurous holidays, just because he will be too old to be as fit as you. That can become a big problem!

we could live with each other a while instead of marrying quick i guess :/
i only like tennis and the swimming pool and everything else just indoors cos i don't know why but i never wanted to vacation. i'm simple.

Original post by -bill-
I'd say it will last 6 months, tops. Women don't know what they want half the time, I'm sure it's the same for you as well, probably even worse since you are only 18.

i just like to squeeze my squeeze, play tennis, swimming pool, nothing else really :biggrin:
You are a fool and he is a paedophile.
Reply 82
How long have you two been together?? I think that a lot of people rush into marriage in the first year or two, and I think you really need to know each other better than that before deciding if you want to be tied together forever! (same goes for having babies!!)

Also, you've mentioned about not having a father, and him recently losing his wife... so it could be that people think you're getting married for the wrong reasons. If you stay together, and get married at say 25, firstly you'll know you want to stay together, and secondly, people wouldn't have so much of an issue with it.

You could relate this to two friends of mine who got together at 15 and 21... People thought it was weird at the time, and there may have been upset if they got married straight away, (when she turned 16 a few months later) but now that they are 21 and 27, it would be normal if they got married.
Reply 83
Original post by ania_dancer
tennising :tongue:
we might not marry maybe just plan to :smile:

we could live with each other a while instead of marrying quick i guess :/
i only like tennis and the swimming pool and everything else just indoors cos i don't know why but i never wanted to vacation. i'm simple.

i just like to squeeze my squeeze, play tennis, swimming pool, nothing else really :biggrin:

Tennis, swimming and squeezing? You sound like my kind of girl, shame you're into old geezers.
I don't know your exact situation, but seriously, 40 yr old guy, 18 yr old girl, marriage? Come on, you've got your entire life ahead of you yet! And he hasn't. you've got to be sure that you want this, and I'm not sure you do if your asking whether it would even work, I presume that you can't have been together for more than two years, when you turned 16, or else he has committed a criminal offence. Be very, very careful, and if a situation should arise do not take any crap off this bloke. Do your parents know of this, what do they think?

What do you do (uni or work?), don't you live with your parent(s)?
Li really think you should make the most of your life before getting married- I've met the man of my dreams who's the same age but I don't want to marry him for at least 8/9 years as I want to make the most of my young adult years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Architecture-er
It's dumb, but if you're attempting to lock your life up and throw away the key this early in your life then whatever, nothing any of us say will convince you that we're right and you're wrong to do this. You'll just try harder to justify something which is inherently a bad idea.

Ignore any romantic feelings you have right now, since you don't know anything about how you'll be in 4/5 years time let alone 10-20 years, and look at it this way. You skip your early adult years and catapult right into a relationship running at his, far slower, pace. He has, for some reason, pursued a girl far below his age. It's not because of your sparkling conversation, because you know far less about the world and don't have the maturity of his peers, he has sexual desires for you, that's all.

The fact that this is how you define your relationship with this man shows just how utterly unprepared you are

i hope he has desires so do i :h:
its ok i think good idea just keep living with him unwed till we get more experience together :smile:

Original post by Ayesha1234
Lol, obviously not. :colondollar:

How long have you known him and how long have you dated? I'd honestly give it a few years, why do you need to rush into marriage? Also, is he your first serious boyfriend?

umm not sure if date means tennis+dvds+swimpool but if it does then 2 years but we only started living as man and wife when i turned 18!
i think we will wait before marrying just to be safe :smile:
i had 2 other serious bfs but both only liked undress instead of love and one made my leg sting :frown:

Original post by Architecture-er
What do you do (uni or work?), don't you live with your parent(s)?

i study at tafe :smile: i have my mum but this month i moved into my bfs home. mum doesn't like me coz i accused her bf of something so i don't like being with them :/ and they are getting married :/
(edited 10 years ago)
i have my mum but this month i moved into my bfs home. mum doesn't like me coz i accused her bf of something so i don't like being with them :/ and they are getting married :/

Ahh I see, what about your dad, did he leave when you were young?

I definitely think that you're looking for someone to look after you, I just don't think that this guy you call your boyfriend has the same pure intentions :frown:

You shouldn't be in such a rush to grow up, you'll miss so much of your life and I can't imagine you having many friends your own age if you stay with him.. you'll just know other 40-something year olds, not people you can relate to and have fun with
Reply 89
Original post by Bobbi!
How long have you two been together?? I think that a lot of people rush into marriage in the first year or two, and I think you really need to know each other better than that before deciding if you want to be tied together forever! (same goes for having babies!!)

Also, you've mentioned about not having a father, and him recently losing his wife... so it could be that people think you're getting married for the wrong reasons. If you stay together, and get married at say 25, firstly you'll know you want to stay together, and secondly, people wouldn't have so much of an issue with it.

You could relate this to two friends of mine who got together at 15 and 21... People thought it was weird at the time, and there may have been upset if they got married straight away, (when she turned 16 a few months later) but now that they are 21 and 27, it would be normal if they got married.

i guess we will wait, it seems smart for sure after reading about others and opinions etc

Original post by KatieBGeek
I don't know your exact situation, but seriously, 40 yr old guy, 18 yr old girl, marriage? Come on, you've got your entire life ahead of you yet! And he hasn't. you've got to be sure that you want this, and I'm not sure you do if your asking whether it would even work, I presume that you can't have been together for more than two years, when you turned 16, or else he has committed a criminal offence. Be very, very careful, and if a situation should arise do not take any crap off this bloke. Do your parents know of this, what do they think?

i have a mum and she doesn't approve but i don't feel safe at her house cos her bf is not good :frown: so i got to stay with my bf + i like to be around him always and its the first time i've felt safe around a male (or male's hands etc).

:biggrin:

Since you were 16, right? ew at him.

I really think you shouldn't burn any bridges with your Mum, just so you'll have someone to confide in, or turn to if your marriage turns out to not be what you'd hoped.
Although the age gap is unusual my biggest concern is that you're rushing into marriage. If that's what you both want then that's fair enough, but why not wait until you've got a few years experience of living together first? I don't doubt your feelings for your fiancé but without knowing him I can only project my own impressions about him, and I can't help but wonder if he's coping with the loss of his wife through you. There's nothing stopping you from living together and acting like a married couple but without the lifelong commitment just to see how things go for a while. If you're still just as in love and dedicated to each other in a few years time then I'd start thinking about marriage then, but at the moment there's really no rush!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
At least there is the considerable inheritance when he pops off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
"Its fun to live with him"
You remind me of a child playing 'house'
You sound far too immature to marry him.
And if you knew his wife before she died then isnt he grieving? Have you thought that maybe youre the last link he has left to his deceased wife and hes taking you for a ride?

People can act like theyre in love and act like they are passionate and want you to the moon and back, but it could all be false.

Posted from TSR Mobile

umm not sure if date means tennis+dvds+swimpool but if it does then 2 years but we only started living as man and wife when i turned 18!
i think we will wait before marrying just to be safe :smile:
i had 2 other serious bfs but both only liked undress instead of love and one made my leg sting :frown:

You sound sweet and rather young tbh, definitely wait a few years - you've got some growing left to do and as you mature, you may find that you have a change in heart. In the meantime, it sounds like you're both really good together, I hope he treats you well. Good luck :smile:
Daddy issues.

And he has just got issues period.
Reply 96
Original post by Piko_Piko
Since you were 16, right? ew at him.

I really think you shouldn't burn any bridges with your Mum, just so you'll have someone to confide in, or turn to if your marriage turns out to not be what you'd hoped.

oh ok i'll try that :smile:

Original post by tígertíger
Although the age gap is unusual my biggest concern is that you're rushing into marriage. If that's what you both want then that's fair enough, but why not wait until you've got a few years experience of living together first? I don't doubt your feelings for your fiancé but without knowing him I can only project my own impressions about him, and I can't help but wonder if he's coping with the loss of his wife through you. There's nothing stopping you from living together and acting like a married couple but without the lifelong commitment just to see how things go for a while. If you're still just as in love and dedicated to each other in a few years time then I'd start thinking about marriage then, but at the moment there's really no rush!

thats ok with me i think we will just live together for now and then decide after some more experience together :smile:

Original post by Shazzarr
"Its fun to live with him"
You remind me of a child playing 'house'
You sound far too immature to marry him.
And if you knew his wife before she died then isnt he grieving? Have you thought that maybe youre the last link he has left to his deceased wife and hes taking you for a ride?

People can act like theyre in love and act like they are passionate and want you to the moon and back, but it could all be false.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i guess i just sound that way coz i am joyful about him :smile:
he said he was grieving at first but not after a while yep.
yup very complicated :frown:
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Hahaha, I think your BF needs to take a seat with Chris Hanson

Posted from TSR Mobile

NBC Dateline, To Catch a Predator. haha, that's funny, but Chris Hanson then says, 'you're now free to leave the house' and then the guy gets arrested!
defy the (n+1) rule much
Original post by theoferdinand
i would disown you if you were my daughter . And i cant even say what i would do to him on this sort of forum

Bit harsh don't you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending