The Student Room Group

Are Weight Gainers worth it ?

Hi guys , been steadily lifting for almost 5 months now , I've doubled my strength since I began lifting , put on almost 8kg of mass (Have no clue how much of this is water weight) and made numerous adjustments to my diet .

I've had a long break from lifting as I was away over Christmas and when I got back I was overwhelmed with work and studying , I figured it would be pretty stupid of me to start lifting again until I got my studies on track.

Anyway up until Christmas I was taking Serious Mass , a weight gainer from optimum nutrition -

http://uk.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/sm.html?mcid=GGL_UK_Products-Products_Optimum_Serious_Mass&bbkwid=235411394 - About £25 per tub which lasts a week. You can imagine how that adds up,

. Ridiculously expensive , yet one of the best weight gainers i've seen in terms of calories per serving , though the scoops are huge. 800 calories per scoop. It was quite convenient as it meant I could be flexible with my diet , If I woke up late I could have a quick shake for breakfast rather than skip it.

This year im trying to save money where I can for Uni , so I have to cut back on spending so much on nutrition.

One of the key reasons I took the gainer is because my family are pescatarians so they rarely have meat for dinner , It sucks belonging to a pescatarian family , I would never reach my macros without the shakes , when I was bulking I had to cook all my own meals and it cost ****loads.

Does anyone here know whether its worth buying such an expensive shake ? Or perhaps any natural weight gainer recipes that work out to be cheaper ? (I have a dairy allergy)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's not worth spending large amounts of money on something which is just more calories and protein. Having protein shakes and just eating more is cheaper.
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
It's not worth spending large amounts of money on something which is just more calories and protein. Having protein shakes and just eating more is cheaper.

I've heard this from various places , It does make more sense.

Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.

Do you measure how much of each thing you make ? I do eat quite large portions but its going to be hard to be sure im meeting macros if im just making large portions of tuna and pasta , chicken and rice etc.

How much meals do you eat per day ?

, I used to have a light breakfast (oats most probably) or on the odd day that I start late i'd have a few boiled eggs with toast and beans.

Lunch - Carbs + a chicken breast,

Dinner which consisted of some variation of white meat ,( I don't eat red meat) with sweet potatoes , rice or pasta .

A shake after gym and a shake before bed.

Without the weight gainer I severely doubt this is going to meet my maintenance of around 3000 . and a surplus of 3500 as im trying to bulk.

I guess im going to have to start eating alot more
Oats and milk are the greatest weight gainer if you can't manage to get the food intake. Cheap as hell and decent source of carbs and protein.

You measure your intake with scale and using the nutritional value on the back - you can't just guess how much you're taking in until you're more experienced. Doesn't matter how many meals you have either, as long as you hit the macros. The reason people think more meals is better is because bodybuilders do this, however they're ignoring the fact that they're on great deals of slin which is why they do this.

High carbs, medium protein and low fats is what's best. Add white rice to every meal (don't listen to the bull**** about brown rice being better - white will fill you up less therefore you can eat more in my experience). Add instant oats to every shake you have. Mix with milk.
Original post by Universityofme
Oats and milk are the greatest weight gainer if you can't manage to get the food intake. Cheap as hell and decent source of carbs and protein.

You measure your intake with scale and using the nutritional value on the back - you can't just guess how much you're taking in until you're more experienced. Doesn't matter how many meals you have either, as long as you hit the macros. The reason people think more meals is better is because bodybuilders do this, however they're ignoring the fact that they're on great deals of slin which is why they do this.

High carbs, medium protein and low fats is what's best. Add white rice to every meal (don't listen to the bull**** about brown rice being better - white will fill you up less therefore you can eat more in my experience). Add instant oats to every shake you have. Mix with milk.

Thanks for the help mate , its just Im allergic to large amounts of dairy.

When I first started I drank loads of skimmed milk , consumed protein dense dairy foods like greek yoghurt and cottage cheese and I had a terrible reaction to it .

I've pretty much cut out all dairy in my diet , except the shakes themselves which have casein.
Learn to eat, any supps are useless unless you learn to eat a proper gym diet first.
Use soy milk as an alternative, not as many calories as standard milk but more than water. Add peanut butter, bananas, etc to shakes and blend. Need more calorie dense foods in your diet.
Original post by Double Agent
Learn to eat, any supps are useless unless you learn to eat a proper gym diet first.

:facepalm2: Thanks for the great feedback mate .

I'm going through a incredibly busy time in my life at the moment , with studying/travelling back and forth/working part time I often find myself short for time , if I did have the time I would happily spending time munching away. They weren't really compensating for my bad diet , merely supplementing it.
Use soy milk as an alternative, not as many calories as standard milk but more than water. Add peanut butter, bananas, etc to shakes and blend. Need more calorie dense foods in your diet.

Hmm thanks for this , though im not too sure if it would be worth dumping loads of calorie dense foods in soy milk (practically water) , to get the same I would get through a weight gainer I would probably go through so much peanut butter , nuts , etc that it would probably work out more expensive.
Reply 9
Bulk buy things like brown rice/pasta. Same with chicken and just freeze it.
You can get loads of bulking supplements from myprotein which isn't a ripp off and they are decent, whilst what you are currently doing is paying for the brand name.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Hmm thanks for this , though im not too sure if it would be worth dumping loads of calorie dense foods in soy milk (practically water) , to get the same I would get through a weight gainer I would probably go through so much peanut butter , nuts , etc that it would probably work out more expensive.

Nowhere near, just did some maths and a shake with 2 heaped scoops of oats, soy, peanut butter and a banana adds up to 745 calories. In a single shake. Just picked a generic weight gainer from a decent website and you'd need about 200G of that to hit the same calories, which in a 2.5kg bag will last you 12 days. So £30 for every 12 days isn't cheap. Obviously other brands/products but I picked the one I always use and it's one of the cheapest/best quality in my opinion.

Weight gainers are expensive and pointless but if you have money to throw away then go for it. They're expensive oats with some fillers and protein thrown in.
Reply 11
Nowhere near, just did some maths and a shake with 2 heaped scoops of oats, soy, peanut butter and a banana adds up to 745 calories. In a single shake. Just picked a generic weight gainer from a decent website and you'd need about 200G of that to hit the same calories, which in a 2.5kg bag will last you 12 days. So £30 for every 12 days isn't cheap. Obviously other brands/products but I picked the one I always use and it's one of the cheapest/best quality in my opinion.

Weight gainers are expensive and pointless but if you have money to throw away then go for it. They're expensive oats with some fillers and protein thrown in.

£30 for 12 days of water calories, even Arnold wouldn't promote this scam.
I've heard this from various places , It does make more sense.

Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.

Do you measure how much of each thing you make ? I do eat quite large portions but its going to be hard to be sure im meeting macros if im just making large portions of tuna and pasta , chicken and rice etc.

How much meals do you eat per day ?

, I used to have a light breakfast (oats most probably) or on the odd day that I start late i'd have a few boiled eggs with toast and beans.

Lunch - Carbs + a chicken breast,

Dinner which consisted of some variation of white meat ,( I don't eat red meat) with sweet potatoes , rice or pasta .

A shake after gym and a shake before bed.

Without the weight gainer I severely doubt this is going to meet my maintenance of around 3000 . and a surplus of 3500 as im trying to bulk.

I guess im going to have to start eating alot more

In your case you can just add more portions. At the end of the day you just need to be aware of the amount of food you're eating. Most people who think they are eating a lot really aren't. There have been quite a few times where I've told people to track calories who say they are eating a lot and they find out they are only consuming 2500 calories a day. White rice is great for bulking as it's cheap and you can eat quite a lot of it before getting full.
Original post by KingGym
£30 for 12 days of water calories, even Arnold wouldn't promote this scam.

I wish that was true, his Arnold series **** is more expensive that the other crap out there.
Reply 14
I wish that was true, his Arnold series **** is more expensive that the other crap out there.

Next they will be selling pure oxygen in tubs for them gains for £15 a tub of oxygen for bb's

How much of what exactly ? 2 teaspoons of oats + peanut butter ? I imagine its alot more then that , probably half the jar . How much soy too ?

Just curious as to how you got so many cals out of that.
Can't remember the exact numbers I used but I think it was around:
388 calories for 2 heaped scoops of instant oats which is 100g - usually when you buy instant oats they'll come with a different scoop, not spoon - £3 for 1kg of oats. 80 cal for 200ml soy. 89 calories for a banana. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is 188 calories.

What this guy said. Peanut butter, butter, nuts, oils (yeah just a tablespoon or two of most oils adds a lot of calories), dairy products, hummus etc so many calorie dense foods to choose from! Why waste money on a weight gainer. Weight gainer =/= muscle gainer

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 18
That's really expensive protein, it may or may not be marginally better than the rest of the protein on the market but the difference will be minimum.

I get my protein for £40 for 5KG tub. That is about the best price you can find most places these days as they took away their VAT exception status a couple of years ago.
Hi guys , been steadily lifting for almost 5 months now , I've doubled my strength since I began lifting , put on almost 8kg of mass (Have no clue how much of this is water weight) and made numerous adjustments to my diet .

I've had a long break from lifting as I was away over Christmas and when I got back I was overwhelmed with work and studying , I figured it would be pretty stupid of me to start lifting again until I got my studies on track.

Anyway up until Christmas I was taking Serious Mass , a weight gainer from optimum nutrition -

http://uk.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/sm.html?mcid=GGL_UK_Products-Products_Optimum_Serious_Mass&bbkwid=235411394 - About £25 per tub which lasts a week. You can imagine how that adds up,

. Ridiculously expensive , yet one of the best weight gainers i've seen in terms of calories per serving , though the scoops are huge. 800 calories per scoop. It was quite convenient as it meant I could be flexible with my diet , If I woke up late I could have a quick shake for breakfast rather than skip it.

This year im trying to save money where I can for Uni , so I have to cut back on spending so much on nutrition.

One of the key reasons I took the gainer is because my family are pescatarians so they rarely have meat for dinner , It sucks belonging to a pescatarian family , I would never reach my macros without the shakes , when I was bulking I had to cook all my own meals and it cost ****loads.

Does anyone here know whether its worth buying such an expensive shake ? Or perhaps any natural weight gainer recipes that work out to be cheaper ? (I have a dairy allergy)

Have a read of this buddy.

Quick Reply

Latest