The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

June 2019 - Getting back into lifting after a 3 year break. Moved to Singapore April 2019 and rejoined a gym.

Spoiler

Ramblings from the beginning

Spoiler

Starting stats (21/01/14)
Height 5'11.5"
Weight 84 kg

Aim is to look like I actually lift so basically just get bigger.

Starting lifts 23/01/14

Spoiler

Update, PBs as of June 2014

Spoiler

Milestones
200kg x 1 Deadlift 10/5/14
200kg x 5 Deadlift. 24/7/14
100kg x 1 Bench Press 30/7/14
220kg x 1 Deadlift 3/8/14
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First workout :biggrin:
Smith squat 90kg 5x5 plus warmups on 60 and 80
bench press warmups 20, 40, 45 then 47.5kg 5x5. Felt I could have gone heavier but as never done barbell bench before didn't want to push it.
Bent over row 45kg 5x5
shrugs 69kg 3x8 did these with cable machine as gym only has 1 barbell which can go above 45kg and it was being used. Figured the movement is the same anyway and shouldn't make much difference. Could use smith also? Also felt that I could have gone heavier.
skullcrushers 24kg 3x8
straight bar curls 25kg 8 8 6 (failure :frown: )
cable crunches 69kg 10 12 15. never done these before and felt a bit strange. Didn't really burn so maybe should go heavier.

Didn't do hyperextensions as no machine for them and a tad worried about good mornings. Back was pretty well worked anyway so didn't feel like it needed more.
(edited 10 years ago)
In.

We have pretty much the same body stats. So I'll be eyeing your progress with great interest :smile:

Good luck mate
Reply 3
First workout B. Felt pretty good overall, some stuff was pretty easy and I'll be looking to progress pretty quick. Also first time I've ever deadlifted, got to 100kg x5 but didn't want to push it further on first day when form probably pretty dire.

Squat 90kg 5x5. Same as 2 days ago, legs still pretty sore as before tuesday hadn't squatted for a month. Have done reps of 100kg few months ago so looking to progress to that soon.

DL 60x8, 70x5, 80x5 90x5 100x5. Grip was an issue, especially as I got a nasty cut on the inside of middle finger on right hand on tuesday night. Too much to drink... Anyway, did overhand grip for 60-90kg and tried mixed grip for 100kg. Seemed easier, especially considering I couldn't press my right middle finger into the bar.

OHP 30kg 5x5, last rep of each set was pretty hard, don't think I'll be going up that fast. Will see.

BoR 45kg 55x5. Really quite easy. My gym has premade barbells going up to 45kg but only 1 free barbell for bench/DL. Might have to use DB for these sometimes as otherwise will be using the only barbell for 3 sets of exercises which would be a bit selfish when gym is busy. Will try to do 47.5kg next time, otherwise will attempt with DB.

CGBP 47.5kg 5x5. Pretty easy, will go to 50 next time

Straight bar curls 25kg 3x8. Last rep of last set hard, but otherwise no issue.

Cable crunch 68kg 3x10. Last rep of last set was agony. Good stuff I guess.

Overall pretty happy with today, didn't feel like as hard work as workout A but sample size of 1 means **** all.

Having done both workouts now seems like a good routine overall. Only thing I would say is it doesn't seem to work my chest all that much - would adding cable flies be appropriate or will my chest start to feel the burn as the bench gets higher (neither variants of bench were hard tbh)
Reply 4
Decided to jump on the protein bandwagon. From reading around a bit it seems that MP has gone downhill recently and people are suggesting the protein works? Also, in terms of shaker/scoop will anything come with the powder packet or do I need to purchase both separately. I anticipate buying a shaker but unsure about whether a scoop is required.
Original post by illusionz
Decided to jump on the protein bandwagon. From reading around a bit it seems that MP has gone downhill recently and people are suggesting the protein works? Also, in terms of shaker/scoop will anything come with the powder packet or do I need to purchase both separately. I anticipate buying a shaker but unsure about whether a scoop is required.

MP is perfectly good provided you pick a half decent flavour. Go Nutrition is good as well. I can't comment on protein works

You'll need to buy a shaker but buying a scoop isn't required for GN or MP
Reply 6
Original post by Angry cucumber
MP is perfectly good provided you pick a half decent flavour. Go Nutrition is good as well. I can't comment on protein works

You'll need to buy a shaker but buying a scoop isn't required for GN or MP

Cheers bud
Reply 7
26/01/14 workout A. Touch session because I was quite hungover as odd night on saturday. Met some student who my dad teaches and he told me my dad was a ****, i took offense, challenged him to a strawpedo and won. He had backed himself, and was annoyed at losing, asked for rematch with bottle of wine. He paid, I won. Family pride restored. Prompt tc but still rather hungover today!

squat
50x8
70x8
80x2x5
90 5x5
No increase in weight but focused on going as close to atg as I could, and pausing slightly at the bottom (ie not bouncing) to make it as hard as I could. Was very tough.

bench
40x10
45x 8 8
50x2x5
52.5x3x5
working weight was 50 but wasn't feeling anything being worked so went to 52.5 for last 3 sets

ohp
30x3x5
35x2x5
working weight should have been 32.5 but only 30 and 35 premade available so alternated 30 35 30 35 30

barbell row
47.5 2x5
50 5x5 with bonus rep at end :biggrin:

shrugs
50x8
60x8
70x3x8

skullcrusher
24x2x8
26x7
did 24 last week so did 1 set of the next size dumbbell, couldn't get the last rep for love nor money

incline curlz
12 8 8 7
couldn't get last rep of last set

no time for ab work as mum rang asking why i wasn't back for dinner yet! had to run home.
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha drop the DB curls because mum rang. That's sweet actually. Good luck with the blog bro.

My only advice would be think long-term, which means be consistent (food, sleep, lifting), don't miss workouts, equally don't overwork yourself (be a hero and increase your lifts before you're supposed to). It's a marathon.

Btw 5'11.5 I'd tell everyone I was 6ft. You know, girls will throw themselves at you brah

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by silent ninja
Haha drop the DB curls because mum rang. That's sweet actually. Good luck with the blog bro.

My only advice would be think long-term, which means be consistent (food, sleep, lifting), don't miss workouts, equally don't overwork yourself (be a hero and increase your lifts before you're supposed to). It's a marathon.

Btw 5'11.5 I'd tell everyone I was 6ft. You know, girls will throw themselves at you brah

Sent from my HTC One

Cheers for the advice.

Given that I seem to spend more time on lifting related internet sites than doing preparation for my interview on london on weds I think it's safe to say I won't be skipping any workouts in the forseeable future. I don't get enough protein at the moment (family meals etc, smashing the peanut butter/milk/cheese as much as I reasonably can) but am about to order some pow. Sleep is alright, I think!

I'll admit I've increased more than the plan says to a couple of times, perhaps I shouldn't but it's only happened when I really wasn't feeling any burn/tiredness at the end of my sets of 5. When I was doing my bro split I'd make sure that I was knackered at the end of my session ie couldn't do a single chin up having done 3x5-8 at start. This is the case for my squats and a few of the exercises, but some of them just haven't taxed me at all so my logic was to get to the level where they tire me out somewhat. Probably over eagerness on my part.
Burn and fatigue aren't indicators of a productive workout. In fact fatigue can be a bad indicator in some ways. On ICF, which is relatively high frequency and good volume, you don't want to get to the stage 3 months down the line that you dread each workout because you're tired or recovering from the last workout. Gains are made when you hit that weight and feel fresh, energised, ready to attack. It's a conditioning process too.

Starting light can feel a bit crap but you're actually ramping up the weights very quickly. Enjoy it, and take this chance to perfect your technique. Starting light is very smart.

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 11
Original post by silent ninja
Burn and fatigue aren't indicators of a productive workout. In fact fatigue can be a bad indicator in some ways. On ICF, which is relatively high frequency and good volume, you don't want to get to the stage 3 months down the line that you dread each workout because you're tired or recovering from the last workout. Gains are made when you hit that weight and feel fresh, energised, ready to attack. It's a conditioning process too.

Starting light can feel a bit crap but you're actually ramping up the weights very quickly. Enjoy it, and take this chance to perfect your technique. Starting light is very smart.

Sent from my HTC One

Fair enough. I just ****ing love DOMS. Seems strange but I really like it. Have been tensing my thighs/glutes all day after yesterdays session lol. Feels good man.

Advice noted though, cheers.
Reply 12
in
Reply 13
been watching so you think you can deadlift in preparation of 2nd workout B. Gonna video deadlifts as complete noob and none of the trainers in the gym have a clue about it.

Might video some other stuff as well, am sure form isn't anywhere near ideal for lots of stuff. Also just realised I shouldn't have done OHP last workout, should be today. Oops.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
28/01/14 Workout B

Squat
50x5
70x5
80x5
90x5
95 5x5

Deadlift
60x6
80x5
90x5
100x5
110x4

Felt my form going on 110 so stopped at 4. Videoed myself and learnt a bit but will post on here.

OHP
30x5
35 5x5

Bent over Row (-10%)
40 2x5
45 5x5

CGBP
40x5
47.5 3x8

Incline curls
12s 3x8

Crunches
68 3x10

Felt good today. Nice to not be hungover! Squat was pretty easy, will go to 100 next time. Deadlift form needs work, I'm starting too far from the bar and pulling it back into myself, and also bending my knees too early on the way down so the bar has to go out to get past them. Probably more can learn from someone with experience watching vid. CGBP was harder than last time, think that's because my form is improving and actually isolating the triceps. Was difficult so didn't increase weight (difficult because not cheating).
Reply 15
squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-1aJCBcFI

Before anyone shoots me for squatting on the smith, I have no other option. I know it's not ideal but making the most of a bad situation. If dorian yates can use it sucessfully then I hope I can.

DL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQdziu9tahI
Bit too close, will have to try a new angle to see my upper body but can see a bit. From watching myself I think I start too far away from the bar, and also bend knees too soon on the way down, because the bar is having to come out over them rather than straight up/down. Need to get another video to see back/shoulders as I go up. Oh also ignore the fire alarm, they were testing it. I'm not casually deadlifting during a fire :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-1aJCBcFI

Before anyone shoots me for squatting on the smith, I have no other option. I know it's not ideal but making the most of a bad situation. If dorian yates can use it sucessfully then I hope I can.

DL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQdziu9tahI
Bit too close, will have to try a new angle to see my upper body but can see a bit. From watching myself I think I start too far away from the bar, and also bend knees too soon on the way down, because the bar is having to come out over them rather than straight up/down.

I see you're doing skullcrushers, aren't you meant to be doing tricep extensions?
Reply 17
Original post by tehforum
I see you're doing skullcrushers, aren't you meant to be doing tricep extensions?

In his video JB says skullcrushers with shoulder extension
Reply 18
In his video JB says skullcrushers with shoulder extension

oh.

i was going by the following

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

is there anything that I missed out?
Reply 19
Original post by tehforum
oh.

i was going by the following

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

is there anything that I missed out?

That doesn't miss anything, but in the video (embedded on the page) he says skullcrushers lying down with weight coming behind head, and also chins instead of curls IF you can do 3x 5-8.

Quick Reply

Latest