Turn on thread page Beta

What's with the stigma against messaging friends of friends'? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why is it "creepy" to message friends of friends on Facebook? I don't understand why I shouldn't do it... I wouldn't mind anyone messaging me, they could be a new friend.

ReputationRep:
    Because people may think you are stalking them. Thats why you should just wait till they say something or well thats how I am. Don't want to look desperate or anything. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Because most people have enough social contacts in their life to not have any desire to talk to random people who message them out of the blue on Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Have you met them in real life?

Did you have a cool conversation on friend's wall regarding a topic or the like?

If neither then perhaps it'll just seem oddly random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Have you met them in real life?

Did you have a cool conversation on friend's wall regarding a topic or the like?

If neither then perhaps it'll just seem oddly random.
    It's not like I'm a total stranger...ends with the We're friends with the same person.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it kind of implies you've been "surveying" them a bit, as a potential friend?

If you've swapped comments a few times or something though, I imagine it's not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    It's not like I'm a total stranger...ends with the We're friends with the same person.
    If you use that as a basis for argument then you're saying (assuming each person has a 150 friends), then you are no stranger to 22'500 people. Who knows what type of people I'd be conversing with in that pool!

My conditions still remain I'd say

ReputationRep:
    I've done it once!

But that was because he was fluent in French so I thought why not :lol:

It's a bit weird though, in that they can be completely different and you only have your one friend as that link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    Why is it "creepy" to message friends of friends on Facebook? I don't understand why I shouldn't do it... I wouldn't mind anyone messaging me, they could be a new friend.
    Because you don't know them and have no reason to contact them, beyond your own.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it to be a bit 'desperate', unless of course you had good reason to be messaging them...

ReputationRep:
    There's an unspoken rule of etiquette with social media and it is considered odd to message friends of friends.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the person. I've done it several times but only if I actually have met / spoken to the person. If they don't know who you are then it's a bit weird

ReputationRep:
    You don't know them?

ReputationRep:
    I did a lot of that, mostly I had very nice conversations with them. I had the most success with my classmate's siblings tbh - I never met them personally but we spent ages talking

But not many people like the "mutual friend" thing though and prefer to keep their FB friends close and everyone else further away.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.