The Student Room Group

What's with the stigma against messaging friends of friends'?

Why is it "creepy" to message friends of friends on Facebook? I don't understand why I shouldn't do it... I wouldn't mind anyone messaging me, they could be a new friend.
Reply 1
Because people may think you are stalking them. Thats why you should just wait till they say something or well thats how I am. Don't want to look desperate or anything. Hope that helps:biggrin:
Reply 2
Because most people have enough social contacts in their life to not have any desire to talk to random people who message them out of the blue on Facebook.
Have you met them in real life?

Did you have a cool conversation on friend's wall regarding a topic or the like?

If neither then perhaps it'll just seem oddly random.
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Have you met them in real life?

Did you have a cool conversation on friend's wall regarding a topic or the like?

If neither then perhaps it'll just seem oddly random.

It's not like I'm a total stranger...ends with the We're friends with the same person.
I guess it kind of implies you've been "surveying" them a bit, as a potential friend?

If you've swapped comments a few times or something though, I imagine it's not that bad.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
It's not like I'm a total stranger...ends with the We're friends with the same person.

If you use that as a basis for argument then you're saying (assuming each person has a 150 friends), then you are no stranger to 22'500 people. Who knows what type of people I'd be conversing with in that pool!

My conditions still remain I'd say :tongue:
I've done it once!

But that was because he was fluent in French so I thought why not :lol:

It's a bit weird though, in that they can be completely different and you only have your one friend as that link.
Original post by MylittlePlusle
Why is it "creepy" to message friends of friends on Facebook? I don't understand why I shouldn't do it... I wouldn't mind anyone messaging me, they could be a new friend.

Because you don't know them and have no reason to contact them, beyond your own.
I always thought it to be a bit 'desperate', unless of course you had good reason to be messaging them...
Reply 10
There's an unspoken rule of etiquette with social media and it is considered odd to message friends of friends.
Reply 11
I think it depends on the person. I've done it several times but only if I actually have met / spoken to the person. If they don't know who you are then it's a bit weird
Reply 12
You don't know them?
I did a lot of that, mostly I had very nice conversations with them. I had the most success with my classmate's siblings tbh - I never met them personally but we spent ages talking :h:

But not many people like the "mutual friend" thing though and prefer to keep their FB friends close and everyone else further away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending