The Student Room Group

Pick Paddy a language!!!

This poll is closed

And the language Paddy shall start should be...

Italian21%
Arabic36%
German26%
Portuguese18%
Total votes: 90
Well I thought it was time to shake up this board a little, so what better way then by a poll! About me!
Basically I want to start learning a new language this summer, what with me being bored beyond all belief, and need help deciding. Plus this is more interesting then all the other threads by people deciding on languages.
And it's in this thread because I might also want to continue with this language into uni, which is why it needs to rock.
So, get polling:biggrin:
Also please include reasons where possible. I've done Spanish and Latin A Level and French GCSE if that helps!
AND I will commit to whatever language is picked out for me! I am leaving my linguistic fate in your hands!!

Disclaimer: I take no responsability for the complete self-centredness or conceitedness shown by me or any other persons in this thread, especially not me.
Except Mr Jim. He can be responsable.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
portuguese or italian!
Portuguese I'm going for :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hmmmm it would be awesome if you learnt arabic, but I think its way too hard! Unless you already have some background in it.
Reply 4
Reasons people! Thanks!
Well I went for Portuguese because it's pretty useful and sounds like an interesting language. Quite a few countries speak Portuguese (like Brazil :biggrin:), no-one really speaks German or Italian, and Arabic is just too much effort to learn the symbols and the language, so Portuguese wins :biggrin:
Reply 6
Ok, arabic would be very interesting to learn and different as well so exciting :p:

But pronounciation is VERY hard if you're trying to learn from scratch and so is the general grammar.

On the other hand, its very beautiful (aesthatically writing wise) and you'll have people ooing and aahing as you write their names :p:
Italian. Sounds good and should be relatively easy seeing as you already do Spanish.
Reply 8
I would have thought that would have been more true for portuguese?

And italian's meant to be really hard.

I agree with ollie - learn portuguese! :biggrin:
Reply 9
And the next person to have a post in this thread which has a post number which is a multiple of 7 gets rep*:biggrin:

*so basically the 14th person to post:smile:
Reply 10
mangomaz
I would have thought that would have been more true for portuguese?

And italian's meant to be really hard.

I agree with ollie - learn portuguese! :biggrin:

Get voting then:biggrin:
Reply 11
paddylad
Get voting then:biggrin:

Done! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Ooooo do I get rep now??

I'll say something real too - portuguese would be really cool to learn. But learn some arabic too :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 13
mangomaz
Ooooo do I get rep now??

I'll say something real too - portuguese would be really cool to learn. But learn some arabic too :biggrin::biggrin:

Yes:biggrin:

EDIT: The person who posts the 30th post in this forum will get my rep tomorrow:smile:
Reply 14
paddylad
Yes:biggrin:

EDIT: The person who posts the 30th post in this forum will get my rep tomorrow:smile:

And you expect sensible posts with that promise?!

Anyway, go for German: challenging and a nice gap from all your Latin-based languages. Plus, might be useful later: Germany still is one of the leading economies.
Jammertal
And you expect sensible posts with that promise?!

Anyway, go for German: challenging and a nice gap from all your Latin-based languages. Plus, might be useful later: Germany still is one of the leading economies.

Nein! Deutsch ist scheiss :wink:
Reply 16
Entweder scheiße oder Scheiße.
Jammertal
Entweder scheiße oder Scheiße.

Couldn't figure out how to get the double-s symbol :frown:
Reply 18
Meant the e that was missing.
Jammertal
Meant the e that was missing.

Ah my bad, haven't looked at any German since I did my GCSE in it about 4/5 years ago :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending