The Student Room Group

How does one afford car insurance?! :'(

Okay, so you're a student, just passed your driving & want to get on the road. But cheapest insurance is approx £5k a year. :eek:

5k is more than the car is worth!

How do you guys do it?! :confused:
Reply 1
Where are you getting 5k from??? You tried online comparison sites?
That was the cheapest from moneysupermarket comparison site :/ and the others were coming as high as 9.5/10k :O
The price doesn't really match up to the spec I put in: - its a small car, 5 door, manual, locked garage, low mileage etc
Reply 3
Original post by Princess Kawaii
That was the cheapest from moneysupermarket comparison site :/ and the others were coming as high as 9.5/10k :O
The price doesn't really match up to the spec I put in: - its a small car, 5 door, manual, locked garage, low mileage etc

its not the spec they look at, its you as a young driver because your statistically more likely to have an accident. Try putting yourself on your parents insurance, its what most young people do and it makes it cheaper.
Original post by jelly1000
its not the spec they look at, its you as a young driver because your statistically more likely to have an accident. Try putting yourself on your parents insurance, its what most young people do and it makes it cheaper.

1) most young people dont do that- most young people have their own policy.
2) If you put yourself on your parents insurance when you are actually going to be the main driver of a car- then its fronting and illegal.
3) Even if you did go on the insurance of your parents car and it was legal, you wont be much better off financially when you come to get your own policy anyway. You might as well get your own policy as it works out cheaper- especially once you start getting some no claims. And its not always cheaper to be on your parents policy anyway- sometimes its cheaper to get your own policy.

Sometimes going to a company directly can work out cheaper than going through a comparison site. Plus some companies- such as aviva, direct line and churchill arent on comparison sites.
Reply 6
Put one or more of your parent(s) as a named driver on your policy quote (NOT as the policy holder), and you should notice a distinct difference. Also, occasionally experimenting with fully comp vs. third party can reveal some interesting results - but for god's sake, if you crash on third party, unless its all caught on camera as the other driver's fault - the insurance company won't be of any help. Sometimes changing your voluntary excess helps, but not always.

Emma is right, calling up companies directly can get good results e.g. Aviva, Direct Line, Admiral - they also have some dirt cheap "women's only" companies that have some good rates - not sure if they're allowed to discriminate, but whatever.

Drive safe! Remember, you're not invincible despite being on cloud nine on the road for the first time.
Original post by Mr Rob
Put one or more of your parent(s) as a named driver on your policy quote (NOT as the policy holder), and you should notice a distinct difference. Also, occasionally experimenting with fully comp vs. third party can reveal some interesting results - but for god's sake, if you crash on third party, unless its all caught on camera as the other driver's fault - the insurance company won't be of any help. Sometimes changing your voluntary excess helps, but not always.

Emma is right, calling up companies directly can get good results e.g. Aviva, Direct Line, Admiral - they also have some dirt cheap "women's only" companies that have some good rates - not sure if they're allowed to discriminate, but whatever.

Drive safe! Remember, you're not invincible despite being on cloud nine on the road for the first time.

I agree. The comparison sites are good for getting an idea of which companies are cheaper, but then go to the companies directly- getting a quote (either online or on the phone). Basically the comparison site usually takes their cut- hence why it can be more expensive.
Most people afford it through the bank of Mum and Dad.

Try insure the box. It's not ideal but it's cheap.

Really? I just got a quote of £1,554.34 for a '04 1.2L 5dr Renault Clio, with 73,000 miles, which I don't think is too bad. Although admittedly the rest of the quotes were £3,000 and upwards.
Original post by Emma:-)
1) most young people dont do that- most young people have their own policy.
2) If you put yourself on your parents insurance when you are actually going to be the main driver of a car- then its fronting and illegal.
3) Even if you did go on the insurance of your parents car and it was legal, you wont be much better off financially when you come to get your own policy anyway. You might as well get your own policy as it works out cheaper- especially once you start getting some no claims. And its not always cheaper to be on your parents policy anyway- sometimes its cheaper to get your own policy.

ah id just heard from others it was
Reply 11
Do you really need a car?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Try putting your parents on as additional drivers, this brings the cost down and is not considered fronting so long as you're the main policy holder.

My insurance was originally expensive it was initially around 3k and then I looked at black box insurance companies which were significantly less by £1600. Some of them even give you money for driving well, I totally recommend ingenie, they were so good! You get an app, and an online account, which rates your driving every three weeks, for cornering, breaking, speeding and accelerating which is color coded (green is best) and if you maintain that, which is very easy as they are lenient with mistakes etc, then they give you money back.

Hope this helps.
Reply 13
daddy paid for it
Reply 14
£120 a year for my motorbike insurance :biggrin:
Reply 15
If your parents have several cars then it might be worth looking into a multi-car policy by Admiral, can work out to be cheaper depending on the cars involved and the post-code involved.

Otherwise Tesco insurance is pretty cheap these days, you could also go through a black-box monitored insurance scheme with them. Does seem to help lowering rates especially if you are into setting fuel-efficiency records :P
Reply 16
Try co-op young drivers insurance from co-op and they were the cheapest by a mile compared to these comparison sights they gave me a quite for £1890 while the comparison sites were asking for £6000 plus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
1. Get a small car with a small engine. You don't need loads of horsepower!
2. Put yourself as the main driver and registered keeper of the car, with one of your parents on the insurance too as a second driver.
3. Get a smartbox/telematics box installed. It's a small box that is installed near your engine (out of sight) and helps the insurer to track things like your driving habit (accelerating/braking habits) as well as how many miles you drive. You're usually insured up to a maximum number of miles. Sometimes the insurance policies who require one of these boxes will also have curfews as a condition of the policy - but if you're gonna be driving late at night I don't recommend getting a curfewed policy. Try finding other ones that allow you to drive at any time of day or night. The box takes about an hour to be installed and can be done at your home.

:smile: hope that helped. Also, don't drive like an *******.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending