The Student Room Group

IUD Experiences?

I'm considering the IUD for double barrier contraception. I'm currently on the pill but much prefer the idea of a non-hormonal contraception and wondered if anyone would mind sharing heir experiences of it
I have one and I love it :smile: I have a GyneFix though, which is different from the normal T-shaped one. Do you have any specific questions?
Reply 2
Two friends of mine had it fitted, they said they were horrible, both suffered migration and heavy bleeding. Another friend of mine couldn't have it inserted as her vaginal muscles contracted- effectually her vagina shut.

I love the implant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I also have one and love it! I've got a normal T shaped one that lasts for 5 years. I was on the pill before and it's soooo much better! Periods are slightly heavier but bearable, but that's the only side effect I've found really!

Any specific questions just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had mine since June 2013 and the only issue I've had in the long term is that my periods are a bit longer, which doesn't bother me.

In the first few weeks after having it, I had a bit of cramping and spotting in the evenings, but thats fairly normal. You need to give it 6-8 weeks to settle and your body to get used to it.

I've never used condoms with it and its never been an issue. Its one of the most reliable methods of contraception available, so if you're in a committed relationship, you should be able to ditch the condoms.
Thanks everyone!

I already have fairly heavy periods with cramping- do you think they could become unbearable? Also, I'm worried about the invasive nature of insertion, I think my body would be totally unwilling

The only real preference for me is the lack of hormones I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Starrydog
Thanks everyone!

I already have fairly heavy periods with cramping- do you think they could become unbearable? Also, I'm worried about the invasive nature of insertion, I think my body would be totally unwilling

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you already have heavy painful periods it might not be great for you, but Saying that, it has only affected the length of my periods, and I know of several other people who have said the same.

I won't lie, the insertion for me was painful. Its best to get it fitted during a period when your cervix is more relaxed, but an experienced person should be able to fit it.

What might be worth considering is the vaginal ring or mirena coil. While these have hormones, they're absorbed pretty much directly into your reproductive system so there can be less side effects.

What I'd suggest is going to a sexual health clinic and discussing your options
Reply 7
I've had one since the summer my periods were longer the first few months but they've gone back to their normal length now. Not anymore painful either, but the cramps were different at first. My cycle has been iregular since I had it fitted to (Ive never been on hormonal contraception so this wasnt due to my body withdrawing from hormones) but its starting to settle now. The fitting felt like bad period cramps and I had cramping and spotting for a few days after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard the gynaefix one doesn't cause more cramping as its a string of beads instead of being T shaped, not many places fit it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case I'd definitely recommend the gynefix instead of the normal t-shaped one, as it doesn't make the cramps any worse. That was my concern with getting an IUD as my cramps were horrendous, but I really haven't noticed a different since I had my gynefix fitted :smile:
Reply 10
x

A online community I have found useful for information and advice about IUDs. A lot of women's personal experience stories on here to:

http://iud-divas.livejournal.com/

Quick Reply

Latest