The Student Room Group

Can I stop my ex being a ****?

Broke up with my bf recently, he couldn't be bothered anymore and said I was 'obsessive and controlling'. I didn't like him drinking and as usual all he does is prove my point. He used to be very abusive when he drank but never in front of anyone so no-one believed me.
Anyway in my effort to keep it civil, we were talking I said something like go to sleep big boy.
He then retaliated for no reason with 'you're a snob' que repeating this, along with 'you have no friends' 'everyone hates you' 'no-one want to live with you' 'your friend hates you' 'i never liked you' blah blah. I never actually insulted him or anything because telling me things that I know aren't true isn't going to work. Turns out oh wait he was drunk.
He then was claiming he had a girl in his bed 'she didn't want to talk' lol, that he was going to sleep around the town etc. basically insulting me no end for no reason.
This all comes after when sober him saying he doesn't want to be with anyone else anyway etc.
I just kept saying lol but you aren't everyone, you do not stand for everyones opinion. Told him yet again he has SERIOUS alcohol and anger problems.
Problem is, he is making out to everyone while being a pillock and presumably at work (where I want to go back in summer) that I'm some crazy controlling psychopath - when all of this that he does with the abusiveness is done behind their backs. No-one else really ever gets to see this very often. While he can go ahead and ruin his own life and pretend he is a child; he is now doing so at my expense.. He pretty much turned my best friend against me.
Reply 1
:-(
Well, ignoring him would probably be the best way to go.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Broke up with my bf recently, he couldn't be bothered anymore and said I was 'obsessive and controlling'. I didn't like him drinking and as usual all he does is prove my point. He used to be very abusive when he drank but never in front of anyone so no-one believed me.
Anyway in my effort to keep it civil, we were talking I said something like go to sleep big boy.
He then retaliated for no reason with 'you're a snob' que repeating this, along with 'you have no friends' 'everyone hates you' 'no-one want to live with you' 'your friend hates you' 'i never liked you' blah blah. I never actually insulted him or anything because telling me things that I know aren't true isn't going to work. Turns out oh wait he was drunk.
He then was claiming he had a girl in his bed 'she didn't want to talk' lol, that he was going to sleep around the town etc. basically insulting me no end for no reason.
This all comes after when sober him saying he doesn't want to be with anyone else anyway etc.
I just kept saying lol but you aren't everyone, you do not stand for everyones opinion. Told him yet again he has SERIOUS alcohol and anger problems.
Problem is, he is making out to everyone while being a pillock and presumably at work (where I want to go back in summer) that I'm some crazy controlling psychopath - when all of this that he does with the abusiveness is done behind their backs. No-one else really ever gets to see this very often. While he can go ahead and ruin his own life and pretend he is a child; he is now doing so at my expense.. He pretty much turned my best friend against me.

Sorry you've had to put up with what essentially sounds like a pretty **** relationship and aftermath. Better times will come, hang on in there! :smile:

Have you tried talking to your best friend about what the actual truth is? I think you should come out in the open about what went on to th epeople you actually care about. To be honest, if they are actually worth your time they won't belive anything unless it comes straight from the horses mouth. People love to talk crap about situations they know nothing about, but thats usually just ridiculous people, which is actually a surprising amount of people. I know it's quite depressing how easily people believe lies and tittle tattle. I've always been surprised about how readily people who know literally nothing about what's gone on will spread rumours and cast their aspersions, as if they a)know what's been going on and b) are perfect people themselves. They're really not worth worrying about. Surround yourself with people who know you for you, and know what you're actually like. Don't let him or anyone else degrade you as a person or turn you into a bitch. Only weak people become bitches. Instead rise above it and live your life in such a way that if anyone heard anything bad said about you, they wouldn't believe you.

This is coming from someone who knows how bd it feels to have untrue crap said about you, but at the end of the day you have to let go of 'social status'. It really aint that important. Just get where you need to be, do what you need to do and forget anyone else that is foolish enough to make things up, believe them and spread them without further verification. Keep those who actually care about you and know the true you close to you, cause they are all that matters. All the best
Reply 4
Original post by fictive
Sorry you've had to put up with what essentially sounds like a pretty **** relationship and aftermath. Better times will come, hang on in there! :smile:

Have you tried talking to your best friend about what the actual truth is? I think you should come out in the open about what went on to th epeople you actually care about. To be honest, if they are actually worth your time they won't belive anything unless it comes straight from the horses mouth. People love to talk crap about situations they know nothing about, but thats usually just ridiculous people, which is actually a surprising amount of people. I know it's quite depressing how easily people believe lies and tittle tattle. I've always been surprised about how readily people who know literally nothing about what's gone on will spread rumours and cast their aspersions, as if they a)know what's been going on and b) are perfect people themselves. They're really not worth worrying about. Surround yourself with people who know you for you, and know what you're actually like. Don't let him or anyone else degrade you as a person or turn you into a bitch. Only weak people become bitches. Instead rise above it and live your life in such a way that if anyone heard anything bad said about you, they wouldn't believe you.

This is coming from someone who knows how bd it feels to have untrue crap said about you, but at the end of the day you have to let go of 'social status'. It really aint that important. Just get where you need to be, do what you need to do and forget anyone else that is foolish enough to make things up, believe them and spread them without further verification. Keep those who actually care about you and know the true you close to you, cause they are all that matters. All the best

I don't think I want to talk to her yet, she works with him on her gap year and part of this all happened because of something she said (told me she said one thing, told him another).

I get the they're not really my friends but when they are all people I would have to work with if I went back there that makes it more difficult.. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think I want to talk to her yet, she works with him on her gap year and part of this all happened because of something she said (told me she said one thing, told him another).

I get the they're not really my friends but when they are all people I would have to work with if I went back there that makes it more difficult.. :s-smilie:

Yeah well, why do you give a **** about what people who will believe anything about you think? You're there to get money not for a social event so you may as well just hold your head high. You're not going to have amazing social status everywhere you go and people will believe b.s. about you, that's just a fact of life. If it bothers you that much why don't you look for another job?

Oh and you're welcome for the advice. Gosh, no one says please or thank you anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending