The Student Room Group

Guys who work out obsessively are just as bad as girls.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TurboCretin
Are guys that much different?

I doubt it. I think guys are more motivated to take care of their general health and fitness, with the obvious corollary of a nice body.

Whereas girls just think of the latter.
Reply 21
Original post by DorianGrayism
A) The average person needs to go the Gym more than once a week.

B) Most people watch what they eat.

C) You do not spend that long in the gym to get a good body.

D) Guys want to sleep with girls.

Yeah okay :rolleyes:
Reply 22
Original post by Red one
I'm talking about the double standard here that all of the gym monkey people are missing. I'm not talking about going to the gym to stay healthy once a week or what have you. I'm talking about people who sculpt their bodies and spend every waking moment lifting a weight or watching what they're eating.

I think it's so dumb. :rolleyes:

So much ignorance.:facepalm:. In order to to build a muscular physique you have to lift weights ideally 4-5 times a week and no one spends more than around an hour lifting because that would be counter-productive.
Original post by Red one
I'm talking about people who sculpt their bodies and spend every waking moment lifting a weight or watching what they're eating.

I think it's so dumb. :rolleyes:

I'd rather spend my time lifting in the gym than spending it getting myself worked up over what other people do.
Original post by tehforum
Don't be mad.

Guys have to eat properly, sleep properly and train hard to get that six pack.

That's a sign of dedication to health and fitness.

All girls have to do is eat a slice of bread, some water, and a slice of ham to get the body that they think is so beautiful i.e. be a skinny stick.

I don't know any girls that want to be stick thin...

I'd much rather be healthy and fit.
Reply 25
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I don't know any girls that want to be stick thin...

I'd much rather be healthy and fit.

T'was a hyperbole.

Point still stands -> skinny reigns supreme.
Original post by Red one
This is okay?

Well….you said it was dumb.

I am just saying it makes sense to want to have a good body if you want to have sex with a lot of women.

It can be unhealthy. There are more guys coming into clinics now with eating disorders because they want to achieve a certain body.

However, I am not sure it is comparable to the extent to which women are scrutinised in the media on a daily basis.
Don't be mad.

Guys have to eat properly, sleep properly and train hard to get that six pack.

That's a sign of dedication to health and fitness.

All girls have to do is eat a slice of bread, some water, and a slice of ham to get the body that they think is so beautiful i.e. be a skinny stick.

Well said, OP you're mad, I told you that you're jelly earlier.
Reply 28
Original post by The_Dragonborn
I go to the gym to stay healthy - I've always been crap at sports but I do care about my fitness and health.

If it makes me better looking and the ladies like it, then I'm certainly not complaining!

If you are not good in any sports then you don't DESERVE to be fit. FACT
Original post by RedArrow

Erm.

What?
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Erm.

What?

He is a troll.

You can no longer tell because they got rid of the neg rep.
Original post by RedArrow

O_o
Original post by Red one
When ever a boy goes to the gym and works out, gets the ol' six pack :rolleyes: he is celebrated and praised. I think this is just as bad as the media perpetuating the ideal female beauty in every magazine stand on the front cover.

Why is it okay for guys to care so much about their body? Just go on youtube and you'll be horrified at all the wanabes raking in millions of views from equally desperate "fans"

/Discuss

The difference is provided he isn't on the juice, it's real, what he is developing is a part of him. Make-up is not a part of the woman, on the other hand I am totally fine with women who work out a lot to develop "dat ass". Although tbh, I don't have a problem with women wearing make-up either :dontknow:

P.S. with the greatest of respect, and this may not apply to you yourself, a lot of people hate on men (and women) who make the effort to look good because they want to bring them down to their level, which is absolutely disgusting imo
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
He is a troll.

You can no longer tell because they got rid of the neg rep.

Of course! I thought I could smell troll ****.

TSR lost a large part of itself when the neg was taken away.
Original post by Machop
So much ignorance.:facepalm:. In order to to build a muscular physique you have to lift weights ideally 4-5 times a week and no one spends more than around an hour lifting because that would be counter-productive.

This is false, the whole after an hour your body releases a mega-dose of cortisol and you lose your gainz is junk-science
Original post by Red one
Can muslim girls go the gym?

hahaha

dat seething jealousy
I doubt it. I think guys are more motivated to take care of their general health and fitness, with the obvious corollary of a nice body.

Whereas girls just think of the latter.

I think that's a fairly gross generalisation, personally, as well as unfair.

Some guys go to the gym for the sake of their fitness, sure. Meanwhile, a lot of guys compete with other gym-going guys on what they can lift, while others focus on attaining six-packs or adding inches to the diameter of their arms. You can't tell me that the pursuit of the six-pack is motivated in the majority of cases by a desire for greater health. Some also work out just because they enjoy working out as a recreation in itself.

What basis do you have for saying that girls think only of improving their appearance? My view is that there is a real mix of motives amongst guys, and it seems plausible if not likely that the same is true for girls.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by TurboCretin
I think that's a fairly gross generalisation, personally, as well as unfair.

Some guys go to the gym for the sake of their fitness, sure. Meanwhile, a lot of guys compete with other gym-going guys on what they can lift, while others focus on attaining six-packs or adding inches to the diameter of their arms. You can't tell me that the pursuit of the six-pack is motivated in the majority of cases by a desire for greater health. Some also work out just because they enjoy working out as a recreation in itself.

What basis do you have for saying that girls think only of improving their appearance? My view is that there is a real mix of motives amongst guys, and it seems plausible if not likely that the same is true for girls.

It's a strong intuition based on the pressure that is exerted by 'society, and the 'media'.
I'd rather be obsessive over the gym than sitting on the sofa watching tv.

The point that you're making about vanity can be easily explained by the media's representation of beauty. Men are seen to need a muscular physique to be desirable therefore many men with flock to the gym to get that physique.
Why shouldn't a person be praised for reaching their goals whether they be aesthetic, for strength, academic etc?
Reply 39
Original post by yo radical one
This is false, the whole after an hour your body releases a mega-dose of cortisol and you lose your gainz is junk-science

Yes but you can build a great physique training for around 45mins to an hour 4-5 days a week and that's what the majority of people are doing. If you are lifting heavy for hours every day, you are clearly going to be overstraining.

Quick Reply

Latest