The Student Room Group

Passive Aggressive Emotional Guy Friend - Getting Rid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Serendipitee
Thanks :smile: I don't want to say something like "I know you fancy me," though, because knowing his personality he'll probs just deny it outright and create a bit of a song and dance/argument about it?

Do you reckon just saying/insisting "leave me alone" point blank would work?

Also, how did you get the guy to stop staring at you? :redface:

Ok then maybe, 'you are acting like you fancy me and it is awkward'

He won't stare at you once you've spoken to him about it unless he is a real creep because he will be worried you will say something again!

Get him on his own though, you need to be blunt but there is no need to be mean. In my experience if you are nice about it nothing changes, but there's no need to make them feel awful over it!
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
Passive aggressive people are often master manipulators and deceivers... they'll twist the conversation into something else and make you feel like whatever you're saying is irrational and uncalled for.

Ah, OK. Makes sense, I guess - he can be charming when he wants to, so while I don't fall for that crap I don't have time to waste either. I know if I give him an inch he'll try to take a mile. Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by redferry
Ok then maybe, 'you are acting like you fancy me and it is awkward'

He won't stare at you once you've spoken to him about it unless he is a real creep because he will be worried you will say something again!

Get him on his own though, you need to be blunt but there is no need to be mean. In my experience if you are nice about it nothing changes, but there's no need to make them feel awful over it!

Hmm OK :smile:

What if he tries to come up with a reason/say he isn't really staring, though, like SuperDuperNoob suggested?
Reply 43
Hmm OK :smile:

What if he tries to come up with a reason/say he isn't really staring, though, like SuperDuperNoob suggested?

Then just say well that is how you have been acting, it is awkward and I want you to stop. If you aren't prepared to do that then I would appreciate it if you would avoid me because you passive-aggressive behaviour makes me feel uncomfortable.

Stick to your guns!

People like him will for example, turn things around - so if he felt you up and you call him out on it he will say 'I can't believe you called me out on it, you make me feel like a pervert' - turning himself into the victim. So you just need to stand up for yourself and if he starts doing that let other people know how uncomfortable he made you feel and what he said and did. Anyone reasonable will take your side :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Then just say well that is how you have been acting, it is awkward and I want you to stop. If you aren't prepared to do that then I would appreciate it if you would avoid me because you passive-aggressive behaviour makes me feel uncomfortable.

Stick to your guns!

People like him will for example, turn things around - so if he felt you up and you call him out on it he will say 'I can't believe you called me out on it, you make me feel like a pervert' - turning himself into the victim. So you just need to stand up for yourself and if he starts doing that let other people know how uncomfortable he made you feel and what he said and did. Anyone reasonable will take your side :smile:

Ah OK, thanks, I think I know what to do now - will say something along those lines and just be really matter of fact :smile: Fingers crossed it'll be dealt with soon :biggrin: :yep:

He hasn't gone as far as feeling me up lol... more creeping from a distance xD :tongue:
Reply 45
Ah OK, thanks, I think I know what to do now - will say something along those lines and just be really matter of fact :smile: Fingers crossed it'll be dealt with soon :biggrin: :yep:

He hasn't gone as far as feeling me up lol... more creeping from a distance xD :tongue:

The guy on my course who was like that started feeling everyone up (Except me because I pulled him up on his passive agressive behaviour early) , so I'd nip it in the bud :tongue:
The guy on my course who was like that started feeling everyone up (Except me because I pulled him up on his passive agressive behaviour early) , so I'd nip it in the bud :tongue:

Holy crap that's weird. I'd have punched him even if I saw him doing it to a complete stranger :eek:
Reply 47
Holy crap that's weird. I'd have punched him even if I saw him doing it to a complete stranger :eek:

Yeah and then when my friend asked him to stop touching her legs he had a go at her for making him feel like a pervert!
Yeah and then when my friend asked him to stop touching her legs he had a go at her for making him feel like a pervert!

Typical of someone like that :rolleyes: Did he wheel out the whole "u would not do that if i looked like brad pitt!!!" argument too?
Reply 49
Typical of someone like that :rolleyes: Did he wheel out the whole "u would not do that if i looked like brad pitt!!!" argument too?

No but he did pull her up because she is always hugging her two male best friends. So clearly he should be allowed to feel up her legs!?
No but he did pull her up because she is always hugging her two male best friends. So clearly he should be allowed to feel up her legs!?

Jesus ****ing Christ, creep logic eh :rolleyes:

Would have punched and probably kicked in the balls/10
Ah, OK. Makes sense, I guess - he can be charming when he wants to, so while I don't fall for that crap I don't have time to waste either. I know if I give him an inch he'll try to take a mile. Thanks! :biggrin:
No problem! I think you'll be fine now, if you don't make the mistake of giving him that opening.

Jesus ****ing Christ, creep logic eh :rolleyes:

Would have punched and probably kicked in the balls/10

Off topic question - If this happens, can the guy report you for sexual assault?
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
No problem! I think you'll be fine now, if you don't make the mistake of giving him that opening.

Off topic question - If this happens, can the guy report you for sexual assault?

Yeah, I will do, thanks :smile:

I'm quite well-read on law as I'm switching careers to become a lawyer - if someone of either gender feels you up without consent, then yes it is sexual assault. Self-defence, however, is not if that's what you meant.
Yeah, I will do, thanks :smile:

I'm quite well-read on law as I'm switching careers to become a lawyer - if someone of either gender feels you up without consent, then yes it is sexual assault. Self-defence, however, is not if that's what you meant.

Ah so you're the right person to ask then! Afaik, you can't punch anyone in self defence... just push or trip...

But I'm sure you can get away with punching a guy in the balls if he doesn't sustain any serious injuries. No one will listen to him XD
Would it be too harsh to just go over and say "why are you staring at me," do you reckon? I don't want to come off as oversensitive as there are usually mutual friends around whenever we see each other, having said that they are the kind of guys who condone that kind of behaviour! Thanks btw :smile:

It depends how you say it I guess. You don't have to shout it, more just politely bit firmly ask.

Some more options:
"sorry, can I just ask why you're staring?" (a very British apologising-first way)

"Oh have I got something in my hair or something?!" "No, why?" "Well you were looking at me a lot, I was just wondering" (a bit of passivity yourself!)

How about "are you alright? Do u want me to help with something? You're looking over at me that's all" (less forward as the 'you're staring at me' part is diguised as a question about him)

"what's wrong?" is a bit more forward, you can still make it sound relatively friendly if your raise your voice

Those are some ideas for the staring, but with his other offhand comments, I'd try and snap them down i.e. "haha that was a bit rude wasn't it!/ jeez you don't mince your words/you don't hide your feelings do you!?" (whilst looking at your other friends and half laughing so it's not as awkward)

Can you ask your mutual friends to say something?
Original post by Jebedee
Go to the post office and ask for a friendship termination form or FT69.

I don't know what kind of answer you expect, just let the guy know how you feel and offer an ultimatum.

"**** off and don't talk to me any more" is usually nice and clear if you really don't care for the friendship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending