The Student Room Group

Type of laptop to take to uni?

Hi everyone,

It's my birthday soon and the fam' want to buy me a new laptop for uni. I'd absolutely love a Mac but my Mum was saying how universities recommend having Windows because of easier compatibility etc. I have no idea what word processing etc is like on a Mac. So was just wondering if anyone had one that they had taken to uni and if they had experienced any problems?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni computers will use Windows, but I had a Linux laptop(another operating system, different to both Windows and Mac) for the first two years of uni. I've since got a Windows laptop for reasons that didn't involve me making an active choice to have Windows, and I can't say that I've noticed any particular improvement in compatibility.

For instance, you don't need MS Word to be able to save documents in an MS Word format. I use Open Office (a free word processor that's available for Windows, Mac and Linux) and it gives you the opportunity to save in any file format you like. Similarly, MS Word also allows you to save in .odt format, amongst others.

One thing I will say with choosing a laptop is to go for one with a long battery life. There won't always be a socket available (especially in lecture theatres) and battery life does degrade over time. There's nothing worse than your laptop suddenly dying at an inopportune moment, like in the middle of a lecture if you type notes! The other thing is that as a geography student you simply don't need anything particularly powerful - the vast majority of what you'll be doing will be writing essays, reading journals and writing notes, which requires only the most basic of laptops, and certainly not a Mac!
Reply 2
You can save a lot of money if you get a normal lappy rather than a mac, I don't think most people need them tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by daisystones
Hi everyone,

It's my birthday soon and the fam' want to buy me a new laptop for uni. I'd absolutely love a Mac but my Mum was saying how universities recommend having Windows because of easier compatibility etc. I have no idea what word processing etc is like on a Mac. So was just wondering if anyone had one that they had taken to uni and if they had experienced any problems?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i take a macbook pro and my 2 ipad's with me to lectures and practical seminars at med school.
Reply 4
- Jeeez I didn't realise the spec of bog standard laptops now, like 8 gig memory terrabyte hard drive, i3 or i5 processor for £400 or less, nice.
Original post by daisystones
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not 100% sure they have them in the UK, but I have a chromebook. It's small and incredibly lightweight. Plus the battery life is awesome. It doesn't use windows though, but most things can be compatible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending