The Student Room Group

gaining weight

how can i gain weight in 6 months recovering anorexic bmi is 14 and i am tring to gain weight

bmi 14

male

19 years old

76lbs
Reply 1
stay shredded bro, keep that bf down. add 25g carbs a week.
Original post by massmonster
stay shredded bro, keep that bf down. add 25g carbs a week.

Gosh you make it seem so easy..hahaha
Original post by gerdymc2k14
how can i gain weight in 6 months recovering anorexic bmi is 14 and i am tring to gain weight

bmi 14

male

19 years old

76lbs

You need medical advice with regards to gaining weight safely.
Reply 4

bmi 14

male

19 years old

76lbs

Eat 1900 calories a day.

You'll gain a pound a week.

bmi 14

male

19 years old

76lbs

eat plenty? work up from your current calorie intake 200-300 every 2-3 days until you reach 2500-3000

also don't work out while you're so underweight, you'll just create a whole host more problems for yourself, I was working out masses while I was on weight gain and I just ended up badly injured and not recovering at all
Original post by doodle_333
eat plenty? work up from your current calorie intake 200-300 every 2-3 days until you reach 2500-3000

also don't work out while you're so underweight, you'll just create a whole host more problems for yourself, I was working out masses while I was on weight gain and I just ended up badly injured and not recovering at all

When is it safe to exercise normally again?
Reply 7
Best to see your doctor, rather than ask here.

I eat really healthy, roughly 5% of my bodyweight every day, but I'm only gaining a pound every month or so.
Original post by cheeriosarenice
When is it safe to exercise normally again?

I really couldn't say, it depends on the person really, as I said I exercised pretty much throughout my weight gain except for a short time where I was on crutches after getting stress fractures - I think in general most people would say you should be at BMI 18.5 minimum (although you should still be eating enough to gain more than this), confident you can eat back the calories you burn, not showing any symptoms of malnourishment (e.g. anaemia etc), and females should be getting their period

be aware when you start exercising you will be more prone to injury as your muscles will not be properly developed or as well rounded as you've starved them all away, you should also start very gently so as not to put too much stress on your body which is still recuperating

if you've been considerably underweight or under nourished you should really get a doctor to clear you for exercise as you want to be sure your heart/bones/rest of your body will cope
I really couldn't say, it depends on the person really, as I said I exercised pretty much throughout my weight gain except for a short time where I was on crutches after getting stress fractures - I think in general most people would say you should be at BMI 18.5 minimum (although you should still be eating enough to gain more than this), confident you can eat back the calories you burn, not showing any symptoms of malnourishment (e.g. anaemia etc), and females should be getting their period

be aware when you start exercising you will be more prone to injury as your muscles will not be properly developed or as well rounded as you've starved them all away, you should also start very gently so as not to put too much stress on your body which is still recuperating

if you've been considerably underweight or under nourished you should really get a doctor to clear you for exercise as you want to be sure your heart/bones/rest of your body will cope

I'm not properly anorexic. I usually weigh 72kg 5 foot 9 male, but haven't eaten well for about 7 months and now weigh 62kg. I was thinking of exercising normally once I'm at 70kg. when i wasnt eating, i was getting about 1000 - 1500 a day, but since I've started eating normally again, I am eating about 3500 a day huge proper meals.
I did get pains at the front right of my head/brain when I was skipping meals, so really worried that I've messed up my brain power or something.
I'm not properly anorexic. I usually weigh 72kg 5 foot 9 male, but haven't eaten well for about 7 months and now weigh 62kg. I was thinking of exercising normally once I'm at 70kg. when i wasnt eating, i was getting about 1000 - 1500 a day, but since I've started eating normally again, I am eating about 3500 a day huge proper meals.
I did get pains at the front right of my head/brain when I was skipping meals, so really worried that I've messed up my brain power or something.

well starvation can cause your brain to shrink and if you are massively carb depleted it wont have the glucose required to function properly, I doubt you've seriously damaged it long term it is likely to be headaches relating to malnutrition that you've experience (although I'm obviously not a doctor!)

I'd say what you're suggesting sounds good, you'd be around your pre-ED weight which is likely where your body will naturally sit, it's good you're eating properly to gain weight, see far too many people trying to get by with 1500-2500, you'll gain weight on that but your body will have nothing to repair the damage you've done and your metabolism will remain slow, what you're doing is MUCH better
well starvation can cause your brain to shrink and if you are massively carb depleted it wont have the glucose required to function properly, I doubt you've seriously damaged it long term it is likely to be headaches relating to malnutrition that you've experience (although I'm obviously not a doctor!)

I'd say what you're suggesting sounds good, you'd be around your pre-ED weight which is likely where your body will naturally sit, it's good you're eating properly to gain weight, see far too many people trying to get by with 1500-2500, you'll gain weight on that but your body will have nothing to repair the damage you've done and your metabolism will remain slow, what you're doing is MUCH better

Should I be eating more than this though? Part of my ED was actually caused by having no money, so I just got used to the stomach pains etc. I've noticed that now that I am eating normally my appetite has become absolutely crazy and I just cannot stop eating, and I love it. I've missed eating good food so badly. It's amazing how much more alive you feel.
Should I be eating more than this though? Part of my ED was actually caused by having no money, so I just got used to the stomach pains etc. I've noticed that now that I am eating normally my appetite has become absolutely crazy and I just cannot stop eating, and I love it. I've missed eating good food so badly. It's amazing how much more alive you feel.

personally my view is to listen to your body as much as possible (provided that doesn't mean UNDEReating) so if your body wants more, eat more, there were some days in my recovery when I ate 4000+ and I'm a 5'5 female, it is very normal to want huge amounts of food once your appetite returns in recovery, your body still isn't sure that it's going to get food consistently and it has a lot of damage to repair, as long as you don't keep eating that amount forever you wont do yourself any harm by eating lots and you wont eat it forever, once you hit a good weight for your height you'll find your appetite slowly normalises
Reply 13
For More weight, Eat rich protein diets, eat more fat food, eat more junk food, take 5 or 6 meal per day. Do some types of physical training, physical work-out etc.

Is 62kg at 5 foot 9 underweight? That should be a BMI of ~20 which is perfectly healthy.

Quick Reply

Latest