The Student Room Group

How strict is the dosage limits for Ibuprofen?

Had my braces put on on Thursday and obviously they're causing me a bit of pain
I'm currently taking Nurofen/Ibuprofen (200mg) usually 2 at a time.
But it says not to exceed 6 in 24 hours, and leave at least 4 hours between doses
Do I have to stick to this? Or can I possibly take more?

This is like my second time of actually taking tablets for pain, I hate taking them so I usually just deal with the pain but obviously now I really need them haha
Reply 1
You can alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen but leave at least 4 hours between doses of the same drug. You can take ibuprofen then 2 hours later paracetamol, then 2 hours later ibuprofen, or even take 400mg ibuprofen and 1000mg paracetamol together if you're in a lot of pain, but be sure to leave at least 4 hours before the next dose.

Both drugs affect your stomach and liver which is why it's imperative to observe the dosage limits. Talk to the pharmacist if you need stronger pain relief- you can buy other pain relief options over the counter.
Reply 2
Original post by TashTLM
You can alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen but leave at least 4 hours between doses of the same drug. You can take ibuprofen then 2 hours later paracetamol, then 2 hours later ibuprofen, or even take 400mg ibuprofen and 1000mg paracetamol together if you're in a lot of pain, but be sure to leave at least 4 hours before the next dose.

Both drugs affect your stomach and liver which is why it's imperative to observe the dosage limits. Talk to the pharmacist if you need stronger pain relief- you can buy other pain relief options over the counter.

Oh I didn't know that, thats very useful thanks :smile:
Unfortunately I don't have any painkillers at the moment, but I will get some tomorrow
I think if the pain hasn't eased by Monday then I go see a pharmacist for something stronger

Quick Reply

Latest