The Student Room Group

Where can I buy a (cheap) bicycle?

Ok, this sounds like an absolutely daft question but where's the best place to buy reliable but cheap(student buget!) bicycle?
Our school is pretty much in middle of nowhere, so it's quite difficult to reach anywhere by walking!
In fact, I foolishly bought a vintage Raleigh Cameo bike on ebay for 130 pounds because I was so taken by its appearance; it's awfully heavy(iron frame!) and no good going up the hills. Gah.
I heard somewhere that summer might be a good time to buy second hand bicycles because students are selling theirs before graduating from uni- is this true?
Any advice would be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Maybe you can look on eBay again, or on Gumtree(it has specific sites for different towns and cities)?
Be very careful using GumTree in particular. A lot of the bikes on there are stolen. Remember that it's illegal to purchase stolen goods, and you certainly won't get any sort of compensation if the owner/police take it off you. In general, if it seems too good a deal to be true, it probably is.
Reply 3
bagain pages
A bike really is worth investing in - as I think you've already found out from your experience with the Raleigh!

Try and find a local bike shop that also does second hand bikes. They'll be able to find you one that fits your body (very important, and few people ever seem to realise this! Too big = can't climb on, too small = very inefficient) and fits your needs.

You can also try having a look around for local bike recycling / upcycling projects e.g. Bristol Bike Project, Biko Bikes. They will be very cheap, second hand, and in good working order.

Do try to stay away from eBay and gumtree. 90% of it is either crap or stolen (or both!)
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
A bike really is worth investing in - as I think you've already found out from your experience with the Raleigh!

Try and find a local bike shop that also does second hand bikes. They'll be able to find you one that fits your body (very important, and few people ever seem to realise this! Too big = can't climb on, too small = very inefficient) and fits your needs.

You can also try having a look around for local bike recycling / upcycling projects e.g. Bristol Bike Project, Biko Bikes. They will be very cheap, second hand, and in good working order.

Do try to stay away from eBay and gumtree. 90% of it is either crap or stolen (or both!)

Ah that Raleigh was unfortunate.. yes, several people have told me now that ebay&gumtree are quite unreliable!
Local bike recycling sounds like a safe bet- thank you, I will look in to it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending