The Student Room Group

Biology a level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madting101
standard deviation is not in unit 1 and 2, possibly unit 3

There is some mention of Standard Deviation in chp 7 (Unit 2) - do we need to know it for BIOL2 exam?
Reply 81
Original post by joeymr
What do you mean 'what type of A'? :s-smilie:
Absolutely!

What's your UMS score? did you get into medicine in Oxford?
Reply 82
my teacher said they only come in unit 3
Reply 83
but still learn never know AQA might try being a pain in the nose lol
Reply 84
Original post by sunandstars
There is some mention of Standard Deviation in chp 7 (Unit 2) - do we need to know it for BIOL2 exam?

Yeah its mentioned but it will only be in unit 3. However make sure you know how do do it just incase
Reply 85
Original post by joeymr
What do you mean 'what type of A'? :s-smilie:
Absolutely!

I'm guessing he/she is asking for the percentage in a nice way.
Reply 86
Has anyone tried the unit 1 biology june 2013 paper on aqa website?
Reply 87
Yeah its mentioned but it will only be in unit 3. However make sure you know how do do it just incase

I did a past paper this week on BIOL 2 and it was there.

You are mis informed.
Reply 88
Original post by JackTeh96
What's your UMS score? did you get into medicine in Oxford?

I got 265/300 altogether :smile: No I didn't, my BMAT wasn't great :smile: in hindsight I'm very happy that I didn't get in there, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as somewhere else with early patient contact. I have got into Manchester for medicine though so I'll be starting there in September :smile:
Reply 89
Has anyone tried the unit 1 biology june 2013 paper on aqa website?

Yeah the sixth form gave it to me to do as a mock.

I got a B in it which wasn't too bad considering we hadn't finished unit 1 at the time and I was barely used to the technique.
Reply 90
Original post by zed963
I did a past paper this week on BIOL 2 and it was there.

You are mis informed.

what??!!!! what paper?????????
Reply 91
This is usually a 6 mark question
Antheroma is a cholesterol. Accumilations of antheroma in the artery wall will increase the blood pressure. Antheromas could leas to thrombosis by blood clots and also aneyrusm. The accumilations of antheroma cause the coronary arteries to become blocked. This then reduces the amount of oxygen being supplied to the heart muscle for respiration. As a result the heart muscle dies by a heart attack/ mycordial infarction

You need to spell Atheroma right or you may not be credited. You might also want to say that it sticks out of the lining of the coronary artery, leading to a reduction in the size of the lumen of the artery. You could also mention that parts of the Atheroma may break away and may block smaller blood vessels etc.
Reply 92
Original post by zed963

I got a B in it which wasn't too bad considering we hadn't finished unit 1 at the time and I was barely used to the technique.

I got 52/60, very disappointed because i am careless!!
Original post by zed963
x

Very nice! Here is the next question: Why the apoptosis is used in organisms? give a short answer!
Original post by zed963
If the set of data shows two standard deviations which overlap, what does this suggest?

could anyone help me out - I'm not sure how to answer this question!
Reply 95
what??!!!! what paper?????????

May 2012 Biol 2 Q6
Reply 96
Original post by zed963

Thats very good. I have a big problem though always think about it:
All the exams on the website i get straight A'S HOWEVEr i do not trust it, like how i find them easy just is not right sometimes i dont know, cant explain it
Reply 97
mitochondria release energy for aerobic respiratrion with active transport against a concentration gradient

It's not energy, it's ATP. Why are you mentioning active transport?
Reply 98
Original post by Kallisto
Very nice! Here is the next question: Why the apoptosis is used in organisms? give a short answer!

It's one of the types of cell death, the other is just necrosis. I hear its messier.

I haven't really covered this in detail, it's not in the specification so I am unable to answer your question.
Reply 99
Original post by JackTeh96
I got 52/60, very disappointed because i am careless!!

looool 52/60 its an A

Quick Reply

Latest