The Student Room Group

Stupidest things you thought were facts...

Scroll to see replies

I used to think that periods of history just kept repeating themselves. And that there was a version of me in every country. And that all people thought their thoughts in English, and whenever somebody said something to them, they would translate it in their head.
i used to believe that everybody in the world was friends - life has changed that

i also thought that everyone went to bed at the same time as me. my prayers went a little like this:

good night belle (sister), mom, dad, God and everyone in the whole wide world....ZZZ

*facepalm*
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
And that all people thought their thoughts in English, and whenever somebody said something to them, they would translate it in their head.

Yep, I had this one too. I love the self-importance of it!
Original post by shooks
Yep, I had this one too. I love the self-importance of it!

I still find it hard to get my head around the idea of people thinking in any other language :eek:
Reply 44
Cracking your knuckles causes arthritis.
Used to think Romeo and Juliet was a true story
Reply 46
Original post by bertstare
Thought rasputin was a fictional character

Wait... Rasputin was real?!
When I was in primary school, I used to think that there was a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow - and once even tried to find the 'end' of a rainbow - nearly got lost :rolleyes:
Original post by acciolucy

So real, he was almost impossible to kill.
I didn't realise that the UK was an island until about Year 7 :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by cambio wechsel
I have always assumed that dragon myths were a primitve extrapolation from dinosaur fossil findings. Possibly that is a stupid thing to think, I dunno.

Until recently I thought that the words realise and realize were different and had different usages. Specifically I thought 'realise" meant "come to know" and 'realize' meant "bring about". So... 'he realised at 40 that he would never realize his political ambitions'.

The thing is that though I now know this to be only my imagining, I still think it's a distinction which does useful work and should be widely adopted.

I thought that it was the same word, one English spelling one American... Oops!
I thought that it was the same word, one English spelling one American... Oops!

I think that's right. Isn't it?
Reply 52

Ra Ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian Queen
There was a cat that really was gone
Ra Ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

:biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by cambio wechsel
I think that's right. Isn't it?

Ok woops I read that in reverse... Just ignore me!
Reply 54
I thought this thread was about farts.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
All fish use sonar, the eyes are receiving dishes

It's actually more like lidar, but it uses ambient light, rather than light emitted by the lidar equipment itself. It's pretty clever, really.
Original post by FKLW
I've been throwing Carrots into the oceans all my life :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, that explains it. In that case, the reason rabbits do not wear corrective lenses is clearly that they eat enough carrots that they do not require them.
Reply 57
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
It's actually more like lidar, but it uses ambient light, rather than light emitted by the lidar equipment itself. It's pretty clever, really.

Ooh wow that is clever!
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Ooh wow that is clever!

The wonders of what we call vision.
When I was young, I use to believe when you swallow chewing gum, it would get stuck on your heart LOL (even though I swallowed it many times XD)

Quick Reply

Latest