The Student Room Group

UKIP Pro Scottish Independence?

I was walking in Glasgow the other day and this caught my eye...

21_ukip_poster_w.jpg

I don't think they realise on at least a couple of levels this helps the YeSNP campaign...

Or are they for breaking up the union?
They should support Scottish independence. Scotland has no control over its borders. Scotland has no control over its foreign policy. Scotland has no control over its industry. Scotland has no control over its future.

All of that control has given to the bureaucrats in Westminster that no Scottish person voted for. These unelected elites spend hard earned, Scottish tax on implementing useless rules/regulations that do not improve the life of those living in Scotland. They choose to ignore democracy and common sense. They never consider the views of the Scottish people.

The influx of millions of southerns (driven by the UKs open-door immigration policy) has lowered wages throughout the country. Residential, educational and medical infrastucture have all been placed under huge pressure. Health tourists and scroungers are becoming a big problem that many Scottish people care about.

It's time to say ''enough if enough''. It's time for Scotland to leave the United Kingdom. An independent Scottish government would care about freedom, not just for you and me but for all the people living in Scotland. A vote for Scottish independence is a vote to leave the UK and recover power over our national life.

On a serious note: maybe. If UKIP were to deny Scotland the ability to hold a referendum on independence then they'd be hypocrites.
(edited 9 years ago)
Surely UKIP should support Scottish independence.

In fact they should be talking about the Great Lie that nobody else tells the Scottish people.

Scotland has no control over its borders FACT.

There are just over 5 million people in Scotland, there are 55 million in the rest of the UK. Anybody from the rest of the UK can walk over the border and look for work in Scotland or claim benefits FACT.

How can a country of a small population like Scotland possibly hope to preserve its culture when it has an open doors immigration policy that allows people from a country 11 times the size of it to walk over the border and claim full access to its benefits system.

How can Scotland's housing, healthcare and education systems cope if it is exposed to mass immigration from 55 million people.

Of course nobody is talking about open borders and immigration to Scotland because its what the politicians don't want to tell you!

But UKIP the bastions of the people should be fighting hard for this to put Scotland's future in the hands of the Scottish people not faceless Whitehall bureaucrats and self serving politicians from the Westminster bubble who dictate Scotland's laws.
Are you guys campaigning or what?

PS, last time I checked... it was Scottish, not Scotish.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Quady
I was walking in Glasgow the other day and this caught my eye...

21_ukip_poster_w.jpg

I don't think they realise on at least a couple of levels this helps the YeSNP campaign...

Or are they for breaking up the union?

They do, as it is in their (political) interests doing so.
Original post by SHallowvale
They should support Scottish independence. Scotland has no control over its borders. Scotland has no control over its foreign policy. Scotland has no control over its industry. Scotland has no control over its future.

All of that control has given to the bureaucrats in Westminster that no Scotish person voted for. These unelected elites spend hard earned, Scotish tax on implementing useless rules/regulations that do not improve the life of those living in Scotland. They choose to ignore democracy and common sense. They never consider the views of the Scotish people.

The influx of millions of southerns (driven by the UKs open-door immigration policy) has lowered wages throughout the country. Residential, educational and medical infrastucture have all been placed under huge pressure. Health tourists and scroungers are becoming a big problem that many Scotish people care about.

It's time to say ''enough if enough''. It's time for Scotland to leave the United Kingdom. An independent Scotish government would care about freedom, not just for you and me but for all the people living in Scotland. A vote for Scottish independence is a vote to leave the UK and recover power over our national life.

On a serious note: maybe. If UKIP were to deny Scotland the ability to hold a referendum on independence then they'd be hypocrites.

I'm unsure if you're post is a wind up or not
Reply 6
I'm not sure what this is all about. UKIP are a firmly pro-UK party. It's one of few nice things I'll say about them.

The problem is that they're nationalists. They share this with the SNP, yes, but they are two different nationalisms: one British, one Scottish. Naturally different nationalisms conflict rather than harmonise. They may share an ideology, but they'll fight like cats and dogs because nationalists of all stripes lack the perspective to realise they are simply arguing the same thing, but based on very arbitrary differences of identity.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
How can a country of a small population like Scotland possibly hope to preserve its culture when it has an open doors immigration policy that allows people from a country 11 times the size of it to walk over the border and claim full access to its benefits system.

Firstly there aren't enough houses so it wouldn't be possible. Secondly, there aren't enough jobs, certainly not enough of the sort that would temp residents of a first world sub-nation to a first world sub-nation next door.

It really doesn't compare to Bulgaria or Romania. A cleaning job in the UK will get them a relatively higher wage, whereas if someone moved from England, Wales or Northern Ireland for a basic job it'll be either the same or worse than if they'd simply stayed behind. So it's a stupid comparison.

Original post by L i b
I'm not sure what this is all about. UKIP are a firmly pro-UK party. It's one of few nice things I'll say about them.

I wouldn't necessarily say so completely. Certainly they want powers given back to the government but when asked about Scottish independence they said said Scotland couldn't be independent under the EU, so it sounds to me like he wouldn't necessarily fight against it but they certainly aren't going to be fighting for it either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Snagprophet
I wouldn't necessarily say so completely. Certainly they want powers given back to the government but when asked about Scottish independence they said said Scotland couldn't be independent under the EU, so it sounds to me like he wouldn't necessarily fight against it but they certainly aren't going to be fighting for it either.

It's a fair argument that Scotland wouldn't be truly independent under the EU, but that's not really the point.

UKIP have tried to join the Better Together campaign along with the three main parties, and been rebuffed. But they are firmly unionist.
Original post by L i b
It's a fair argument that Scotland wouldn't be truly independent under the EU, but that's not really the point.

UKIP have tried to join the Better Together campaign along with the three main parties, and been rebuffed. But they are firmly unionist.

I didn't hear about that, oh well. It's a shame I would've liked a Farage/Salmond debate.
Reply 10
Original post by SHallowvale

All of that control has given to the bureaucrats in Westminster that no Scottish person voted for. These unelected elites spend hard earned, Scottish tax on implementing useless rules/regulations that do not improve the life of those living in Scotland. They choose to ignore democracy and common sense. They never consider the views of the Scottish people.

The influx of millions of southerns (driven by the UKs open-door immigration policy) has lowered wages throughout the country. Residential, educational and medical infrastucture have all been placed under huge pressure. Health tourists and scroungers are becoming a big problem that many Scottish people care about.

It's time to say ''enough if enough''. It's time for Scotland to leave the United Kingdom. An independent Scottish government would care about freedom, not just for you and me but for all the people living in Scotland. A vote for Scottish independence is a vote to leave the UK and recover power over our national life.

Scotland has more control over their country than England does. Even though it might not work, I think most would be happy with a federal UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending