The Student Room Group

How to "eat clean?" gradually?

So I'm starting to get my fitness up a little and want to start eating healthier when I go to university. I have heard about "eating clean" and to me it seems a little expensive. I really want a healthier diet or be able to eat clean on a budget. What exactly is eating clean as I have heard a lot of different definitions...help appreciated.

BTW I am not vegan and am not a vegetarian so!
There is no definition of clean or dirty foods. That sort of terminology comes from the bodybuilding community. Clean is generally whole foods and nothing processed, however the further you are away from that stage, the less you should care tbh.

If you eat like an adult you'll be fine, don't eat too much processed crap etc.
Original post by Angry cucumber
There is no definition of clean or dirty foods. That sort of terminology comes from the bodybuilding community. Clean is generally whole foods and nothing processed, however the further you are away from that stage, the less you should care tbh.

If you eat like an adult you'll be fine, don't eat too much processed crap etc.

I'd like to eat clean foods though. I care about my diet and right now it's not how I want it to be. "Eat like an adult"? What does that mean...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophieleannexo
I'd like to eat clean foods though. I care about my diet and right now it's not how I want it to be. "Eat like an adult"? What does that mean...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eat like an adult -> Eat processed food/ high fat foods/ high salt foods etc only as an occasional treat.

There is no such thing as a clean food, it's purely a term for non processed food.

Best way to improve your diet is to start cooking for yourself, buy a student cookbook and go from there.
Eat like an adult -> Eat processed food/ high fat foods/ high salt foods etc only as an occasional treat.

There is no such thing as a clean food, it's purely a term for non processed food.

Best way to improve your diet is to start cooking for yourself, buy a student cookbook and go from there.

Can already cook for myself and have a student cookbook. Well how do I get down to eating just non processed food?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can already cook for myself and have a student cookbook. Well how do I get down to eating just non processed food?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you're already cooking for yourself, then I don't see how you can be eating a lot of processed food.....from what you say, you're not eating take aways regularly and you're eating a reasonable diet. Doing stuff like grilling sausages rather than frying them, boiling or poaching eggs rather than frying them etc are all good things to do.

So yeah if you're avoiding eating lots of chocolate, sweets, fried foods etc then you're all good.
Reply 6
I used to struggle with this too, but I remember to apply the Fairy Non Bio to all my salads these days
Original post by Riku
I used to struggle with this too, but I remember to apply the Fairy Non Bio to all my salads these days
On a serious note, if you did eat Fairy Non Bio, it would probably kill you (or put you in hospital). :redface:
Well if you're already cooking for yourself, then I don't see how you can be eating a lot of processed food.....from what you say, you're not eating take aways regularly and you're eating a reasonable diet. Doing stuff like grilling sausages rather than frying them, boiling or poaching eggs rather than frying them etc are all good things to do.

So yeah if you're avoiding eating lots of chocolate, sweets, fried foods etc then you're all good.

I don't cook for myself often. Can understand what you mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
In all seriousness clean eating is just not eating junk food, really that simple :s-smilie:
In terms of cutting them out, it's about monitoring cravings and finding either healthy non-processed substitute snacks if you are hungry (e.g. fruit) or finding non-food based coping mechanisms for emotions if you aren't hungry
Reply 10
Original post by Bassetts
On a serious note, if you did eat Fairy Non Bio, it would probably kill you (or put you in hospital). :redface:

We try too hard
It basically means cutting down on crap. My understanding is to eat mostly from the fruit and veg aisle (apart from condiments etc and tinned fruit/veg because it's cheaper). Healthy eating doesn't have to be expensive, and to be honest you could cook yourself a couple of meals on the amount of money you spend on a couple of packets of chocolate biscuits which will do you no good. And, although you said you're not a vegetarian, I find it really helps my budget to eat vegetarian a couple of days a week.

Personally, it's all about balance. If I ate "clean" 100% of the time then I'd never get to enjoy dessert or an Indian takeaway, so I aim for about 80% of the time. That way you get the healthiness without feeling like you're constantly on a diet, which would be utterly depressing!
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't cook for myself often. Can understand what you mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you eat then?
Original post by Rascacielos
What do you eat then?

I eat junk food most days but cook sometimes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I eat junk food most days but cook sometimes...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Flip that sentence around, and you're on the right track. :-)
Original post by Rascacielos
Flip that sentence around, and you're on the right track. :-)

:smile: I think once I become a student at university I'll get better with my diet. Don't really have much control over what I eat as such as I live with my family still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:smile: I think once I become a student at university I'll get better with my diet. Don't really have much control over what I eat as such as I live with my family still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have the same problem whenever I go back home. It annoys me because I love eating healthily at university and it makes me feel much happier, but whenever I go home, I'm back to my parents' very dubious definition of "healthy eating". So I have absolutely no advice for you on that front!

Quick Reply

Latest