The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nik:B
Hey JENBUG, Im a second year next year studying Theatre Performance; obviously you´ll know your at our Bretton Performance and Cultural Inds Campus, I was on here last year so I thought i´d just pop on ans see who was coming to Bretton this year...but you appear to be the only person in these forums....so HI! Where you living? Im the subwarden of Savile on Bretton Campus!

I'm living on swithen on bretton? although I have yet to find out where that actually is lol! I love bretton though I was gutted that I'd only have my first year there :frown:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 81
XenaGlamRocker
I'm kinda nervous....not about getting lost and not knowing how things work, obviously, as I've already spent a year there.....more about making friends and meeting people. It was hard enough starting at the uni last time round.
Living at home meant I didn't get to meet many people, so I can't see that being any different this time round, only now I'm 22 and have a husband and daughter....I'm worried I won't have much in common with people, which would really suck, as I'd like to make friends and stuff - it's part of the whole experience of being at uni.
Blah, I'm gonna stop waffling now.

GOOD ON YOU!!! Get back in there and quit worrying... 18 or 22 everyone has their own stuff to deal with and im sure you'll be fine!! <grins> ::big hugs:: we're all in the same boat..!!! I jst found out that half my mates here actually hate me, so now im wondering whether anyone will actually like me @ uni! We're all scared :-P xxxxx

aww I'm sorry you're not having a great time with your mates at the moment. Obviously I dunno the situation but maybe it will work itself out. I doubt they HATE you though, hate is a very strong word :wink:

Other than that, thanks for the encouragement. I must admit I'm looking forward to going back to uni (even though I'm gonna miss my lil' un like crazy lol) - I just hope I make a few friends. It's pretty hard when you're not staying in university accomodation to meet people - that's what I found last time I was there. I think this time I'm just gonna have to dive on people - anybody I see - and start talking. I was too shy last time. I only ended up with 1 close friend the entire time I was there (plus about 3 semi-friends, and maybe 5 acquaintances lol).

*starts plucking up courage in preparation for September* lol.
Reply 83
I know that each situation is different in their own way, but at the end of the day we're all going to be in the same boat of having to start over and make some new friends, so I wouldn't worry! :smile:
Reply 84
You have a head start though, cause you already have an idea what it is like :smile:
I am really scared actually :redface:
Reply 85
I know how you feel, it's taken me such a long time to get the group of friends I have now and now I have to start all over again in a completely new place. Excited, yes but also very scared.
Reply 86
I love my friends to pieces, but I think we have got to the point now where going to uni will do us good. I am so majorly excited, but the worry of having to make friends again lol its so much easier when you are younger :p:
Reply 87
I just find that if I have a drink, I can talk to ANYONE. I am using this as a basis for hopefully making friends :biggrin:
Reply 88
I do try not to be drunk all the time though. Won't be a problem when I'm out in the first few weeks but on moving day? Drunkness+nervousness+long car journey probably not a good idea. :biggrin:
Reply 89
Ha that's very true. Only thing I'm worried about is who I'm going to be sharing with, and a) the boy/girl ration [as i get on much better with guys. especially having gone to an all girls school i'm not sure i can take living with lots of girls too] and b) if i'll actually get on with them!

but then i guess i'm not the only person feeling like this so it's cool.
Holliver!
Ha that's very true. Only thing I'm worried about is who I'm going to be sharing with, and a) the boy/girl ration [as i get on much better with guys. especially having gone to an all girls school i'm not sure i can take living with lots of girls too] and b) if i'll actually get on with them!

As cliched as it sounds, this is true: you cannot choose who you live with in halls, plain and simple. No matter how much you try and manufacture it, you should just go in there with an open mind. You've probably heard all this before, but it sounds even better when it comes from experience!

I spoiled my first year at York by expecting too much from living in halls. I built it up too much, so I set myself up to be dissapointed when I realised that the (16!!) people I shared with weren't really on my wavelength, or had had more in common with other people than with me.

This time round, I'm completely chilled about the whole thing. Expect little and you won't be dissapointed, no? I'm more worried about my course and what to expect from it. That way, if the social-life goes tits-up, at least I'll be on track with my course.

*And ... breathe*
Reply 91
Holliver!

I say this a lot but I still panic about people liking me etc.
Reply 92
meh if we all hate our house mates we could meet :p: what if we lived together? lol weird huh?
Reply 93
As I have nowhere to live at the moment, this is likely.
Reply 94
me neither, i had to ring accommodation today to get my application form thingy
Reply 95
I've already rang them twice. I'm trying to be patient and I know they've got a lot of people to allocate but it doesn't make me any less worried. I'm shopping for a tent soon.
haha if anyone ends up homeless I have a nice free sofa bed in my house that could be used in an emergency (not permanently though...my husband might not be best pleased if I announded somebody was moving in permanently haha. but for a month at least anyway lol) - as long potential homeless person doesn't mind toddlers lol.

Latest