The Student Room Group

Access Course modules?

Hiya!

I'm hoping to take an access course starting in September, as I currently work in IT and have discovered a calling to go and work in Medical Sciences instead, so I need a whole new set of qualifications! I never science at GCSE, as I was home-ed and, randomly, science was not offered via my college that year! So, couldn't do science A-Levels. However, I've done OU courses in Maths and Science so it's not too bad.

The course I have chosen (and can get to) has modules in "Forensic Science, Chemistry, Biology and Environmental Science" - slightly a shame as two of those topics seem vagely irrelevant. However, the college also offers a Health access course, with the following topics: "Biological Science, Health Issues, Sociology and Psychology."

My chosen unis have said that I need a science-based course for their degrees, though after my interview with the college (next week) I should have a better idea of the modules and can let the unis know about them and see what they say.

But, I was wondering if anyone had ever undertaken a topic from a second Access course alongside their main course? So if I took the science course and then the additional Biological Science modules to go with it, for example? I'm not worried about the workload, as I am genuinely quite bright (that sounds so arrogant lol) and have been studying various OU courses over the past few years, just for fun, but alas, not in the right subjects to get me into Medical Science, now!

For anyone interested, I need 45 credits at distinction, to include all the biology credits.
Some colleges let you mix and match from different pathways, but I don't know whether all do. Best to phone them and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending