The Student Room Group

The dangers of partying too hard!

A end of term party in the student district of Fallowfield in Manchester came to a rather sudden end when the lounge floor collapsed into the basement of a student house.

Allegedly 300 students had been partying in the house since 4pm in the afternoon. Later on that evening as the dancing continued the floor fell away by 2.5 feet taking students with it, leading to 100 students being evacuated and some needing medical attention.

You can find the full story here.

Do you have any house party horror stories to share?
Reply 1
Well, damn... this thread delivered on the title.
I was at a house party where the floor collapsed, too! :biggrin: That's poorly maintained student housing for you...

This is a common danger kids - watch out. :tongue:
Reply 3
300 students!!?!?! damn. Usually there's only about 10-15 people at flat parties i've seen. That must of been a total beast! :O
(edited 9 years ago)
A small part of my kitchen floor collapsed at a house party in second year, though it was far less dramatic in scale than that one! Our landlord didn't realise that 5mm fibreboard wasn't a suitable replacement for floorboards, especially in a room where the floor can get wet sometimes...

Better picture of the same incident She-Ra linked to above

I can't believe the landlord had the cheek to blame the tenants though after the fire brigade said that it was caused by rotten timbers!

The current tenancy will end on the 30th June, but I can't help feeling sorry for the next tenants - the landlord sounds like the sort of scumbag who won't bother to fix it.
(edited 9 years ago)
why did they have to evacuate the students ?
I know someone whose roof collapsed in during a house party (teenager so her parents weren't very happy about it)
Reply 7
Original post by She-Ra
A end of term party in the student district of Fallowfield in Manchester came to a rather sudden end when the lounge floor collapsed into the basement of a student house.

Allegedly 300 students had been partying in the house since 4pm in the afternoon. Later on that evening as the dancing continued the floor fell away by 2.5 feet taking students with it, leading to 100 students being evacuated and some needing medical attention.

You can find the full story here.

Do you have any house party horror stories to share?

Ha, Fallowfield, not surprised there, I'm gonna have plenty of house parties there next year.

At least it's not Moss Side where some guy I know has been shot and stabbed recently
Not quite the floor, but still a bit of an embarrassing mishap people can relate to! When I lived in France on one night we had loads of other Erasmus students round for drinks. I shuffled to grab a card during a drinking game and the seat I was on collapsed leaving me arse over tit on the floor and still buried inside the remains of the seat. Not cool but it's happened to everyone!
I remember once we got very drunk, found some old Action Men, G.I. joes etc in a skip.... decided to dig a trench system and then napalm them using petrol we found in my shed....

Suffice to say the garden was a mess two days later when my parents came home, plus beer bottles everywhere.... we filled 5 dust bins with the stuff after 4 days of partying :P
I know someone who did the whole 'invite 150 people, tell them they can bring plus ones if they ask'.

They didn't ask. Share share share. Invite friends, tell friends. Around 500 people turned up.

Some of them were groups of boys/girls who had no connection to anyone at the party, genuinely. Still baffled at how they heard about it.

The number and amount of police vans, ambulance vans, vomit, cigarette butts, empty bottles and used condoms at the end of the night was the very definition of horrific. I'm surprised they didn't have to tear down the house.
I went to a house party once where some kid got his bed stolen .... He was so pissed rofl
Well there goes their deposits.
Reply 13
I had to sleep in a bed made for a toddler which had previously been broken by people shagging on it after one particularly messy house party. The guys house in the morning was horrendous. Not quite as dramatic as the floor collapsing but fairly traumatic. I woke up, top button still done, shoes still tied and had to get the bus home in last nights clothes. The stride of pride is difficult enough to pull off, but on the bus... no chance.

There was another time where I lost my keys in my mates car when he was dropping me off at a house party, my parents were in Grimsby, as the night progressed I got hammered and passed out, lost £50 (I guess in a taxi) and was found some hours later by some girls i knew face down in the pavement 2 miles from the house party and 4 miles from home. I then walked the 4 miles home leaving a gingerbread trail of vomit as I went and had to sleep in my garage. This was on New Year 2012/13 and it was about -4. I suffered a 2 day hangover, it took me 2 further days to get my feet warm again and I vomited whilst on the phone to my Mum. I had to stagger around to my Mum's friend's house the morning after and endured 6 hours of every fifteen minute vomiting... Top that if you can!
Another tenant added: “It was a pretty good night.”

what a lad
Our living room ceiling collapsed once at a small party but that was due to the bathroom flooding for weeks into the gap between rooms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending