The Student Room Group

Teachers who judge you

Have any of you been judged by a teacher or several teachers based on who you are or your capabilities are like?

More importantly did you prove them wrong? :smile:

I have found it difficult to understand why teachers would have a fixed presumption of you..

For example, I had an English teacher from the yr 7 to yr 11 and because I have several issues with my health, she used to think that because of this, I could not achieve a grade above a C, so every internal exam I had in English, I used to always receive a C grade despite working my heart out. Along came GCSE, and I thought I'd show her what I'm made of, so I smashed my English language and literature exams and got A's for both and proved her wrong :smile:
She never used to talk to me a lot during school, but now, she voluntarily comes up and has a full on conversation!
Reply 1
once i had a chemistry teacher who made it obvious she detested me.

i would often get just about pass marks and she would try and keep me back afterschool at every opportunity. i think she implied that i wouldn't amount to much in chemistry.

is showed her though, im the best in my school at chemistry and can work at an A-level standard and am expecting marks aroun 96%+ in my GCSE chemistry C1, C2 and C3.
I had a teacher who hated my guts because he didn't know what he was talking about and I always knew where he went wrong - I barely ever spoke up in class, not wanting to shake the authority thing (although this was A level), but sometimes I had to when it came to just plain hard facts for the exam that he got wrong.

Ended up hating me so much, he'd just shove all the Year 7 and 8 homework in my face for me to mark because it wasn't a "good use of his time". If I refused, I found my coursework failed the next day.

Also had another teacher who I was always a bit off with, never really knew where I stood with her, and she always seemed to give me a really hard time even when I tried my best, but then a few weeks before the exam, she suddenly came in one morning a changed woman and one of the nicest most supportive teachers I'd met. Was quite scary and confusing actually lol
Reply 3
A TA thought I was stupid and wanted me to do entry level and foundation levels of gcse. My teachers defended me and I got mostly As and few Bs and a C in English :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome to hear your story and well done for your As. Goes to show how powerful belief and commitment are when it comes to these things.

Yeah, a few times teachers have been convinced I will do really badly and I've ended up with As or A*s when actually putting some work in.
Strangely enough, I think that some of my teachers expect waaaay too much of me :/
Reply 6
Original post by kelefi
once i had a chemistry teacher who made it obvious she detested me.

i would often get just about pass marks and she would try and keep me back afterschool at every opportunity. i think she implied that i wouldn't amount to much in chemistry.

is showed her though, im the best in my school at chemistry and can work at an A-level standard and am expecting marks aroun 96%+ in my GCSE chemistry C1, C2 and C3.

Ahh wow! What a brilliant story - I'm quite happy that you proved her wrong and you're now doing so well in Chemistry :smile: Well done!

Original post by XMaramena
I had a teacher who hated my guts because he didn't know what he was talking about and I always knew where he went wrong - I barely ever spoke up in class, not wanting to shake the authority thing (although this was A level), but sometimes I had to when it came to just plain hard facts for the exam that he got wrong.

Ended up hating me so much, he'd just shove all the Year 7 and 8 homework in my face for me to mark because it wasn't a "good use of his time". If I refused, I found my coursework failed the next day.

Also had another teacher who I was always a bit off with, never really knew where I stood with her, and she always seemed to give me a really hard time even when I tried my best, but then a few weeks before the exam, she suddenly came in one morning a changed woman and one of the nicest most supportive teachers I'd met. Was quite scary and confusing actually lol

Don't worry, totally know the feeling about the authoritative role issue - 'tis nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels like this :')

Oh whoa haha, that's a dramatic change; sometimes can be a bit weird with the sudden attitude change in teachers aha. I'm glad she actually helped you achieve what you wanted!

Was really nice to read this :smile:

Original post by Trustno1
A TA thought I was stupid and wanted me to do entry level and foundation levels of gcse. My teachers defended me and I got mostly As and few Bs and a C in English :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! Go you, well done! You're not stupid at all and you most certainly proved it haha :tongue:

Original post by Stony Owner
Awesome to hear your story and well done for your As. Goes to show how powerful belief and commitment are when it comes to these things.

Yeah, a few times teachers have been convinced I will do really badly and I've ended up with As or A*s when actually putting some work in.

Thank you so much; means a lot :smile: Indeed it does; all it takes is willpower and determination to do well.

Well, that's absolutely incredible, and likewise, very well done for getting really good grades! I hate it when teachers put you down so much that you lose motivation (as it's happened with me before) but it's great when you can show what you're capable of doing and proving that you can achieve the impossible.
Reply 7
It's my first year studying in the UK and I boldly took the chance of choosing English lit as one of my options for AS. My teacher was a little bit edgy about me, a native Asian, studying English lit even though I've done it in the past. She doubted my English language skills so I rubbed it in her face with an A grade essay. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending