The Student Room Group

Has there been any legal cases regarding student maintenance?

I've been looking for any post-2012 cases regarding higher education students who only get the minimum amount of maintenance loan from SFE due to their parental income but has parents who opts not to support them while at uni.

Does anyone know if there is such a case or whether any are on going? If not how come there isn't such a case?

Scroll to see replies

Moved to Student Finance Support
Because parental support is a mere recommendation.
There is no right to fully funded higher education maintenance off the taxpayer.
Any case on such terms would fail, absolutely.
Not that I've seen. I think it'd make for a pretty interesting case though, especially if the parent presented their income but that they were unable to support the child because of their outgoing expenses or something.
Original post by balotelli12
Because parental support is a mere recommendation.
There is no right to fully funded higher education maintenance off the taxpayer.
Any case on such terms would fail, absolutely.

Then why on earth do people who's parents earn below a certain amount get extra, essentially free (ie they don't have to repay it) at the cost of the taxpayer?
There is clearly is a right, just for certain people.
Reply 5
I'm sorry if you are going through this. I think that student finance should be far more flexible for people who are in your situation.
I will be entitled to absolutely everything (and I couldn't go uni without it) but there are situations where someone gets absolutely everything and they can afford uni completely. For example a millionaires daughter who lives with her poor mother (under 25k) would be entitled to the full whammy even if her father gave her 10k a month to splash out at harrods.

Sorry that I can't be more help I haven't heard of any legal cases. Maybe you should write to your MP? Or start a petition.
Reply 6
Original post by joker12345
Then why on earth do people who's parents earn below a certain amount get extra, essentially free (ie they don't have to repay it) at the cost of the taxpayer?
There is clearly is a right, just for certain people.

Because their parents aren't capable of supporting them (most of the time) There are loopholes in the system though. Where people who are rich on paper only or have Unsupportive parents do not get the help they need.
Original post by alapa
Because their parents aren't capable of supporting them (most of the time) There are loopholes in the system though. Where people who are rich on paper only or have Unsupportive parents do not get the help they need.

But that's my point - the other poster was saying parental support is a mere recommendation, but I was explaining that it isn't.
I think it's just because they can't give everyone the full amount... Too much money otherwise, so they have to draw boundaries somewhere. I certainly couldn't go to uni and do my degree on just my parent's income alone, so I do understand where they're coming from; however, I do think that its the people in the middle who end up losing out and something should be done about it.
Reply 9
But that's my point - the other poster was saying parental support is a mere recommendation, but I was explaining that it isn't.

I agree, student finance actually expects parental support. If parental support isn't given then that's tough for the student. It's not fair.
They really cant assume that parents can contribute. For example true the family might earn £75K for example and might have 3/4 kids, mortgage, bills. How on earth to support thier child as much as Student Finance EXPECT them too. at the end of the day if the loan has to be paid back its up to the student if they want to take out an optional amount but they have to pay it back with interest.

But obv the government has messed up the idea totally, when they have to give loans out to EU students who may/may not pay it back, there is little amount left to loan to Home students.. unfair IMO
Original post by sachinisgod

But obv the government has messed up the idea totally, when they have to give loans out to EU students who may/may not pay it back, there is little amount left to loan to Home students.. unfair IMO

Lol hi Nigel

Have you got any idea how much of the debt home students have racked up will never be recovered?

Answer: ****loads.
Original post by Hedgeman49
Lol hi Nigel

Have you got any idea how much of the debt home students have racked up will never be recovered?

Answer: ****loads.

well maybe thats the fault of the higher education system that gives out degrees to students who will not even find a job worth 21K a year to actually start paying back their loans. When the representative from SF herself says that they know majority of people will never pay it back, thats the amount of faith they have in their own education system :rolleyes:
Original post by sachinisgod
well maybe thats the fault of the higher education system that gives out degrees to students who will not even find a job worth 21K a year to actually start paying back their loans. When the representative from SF herself says that they know majority of people will never pay it back, thats the amount of faith they have in their own education system :rolleyes:

Okay, so don't blame the EU students for it!

The majority of people will pay some, but not all of it back. I imagine the number who never make a repayment will be pretty low overall

What a ridiculous assertion!

Where is the contractual obligation for parents who are wealthy to support their children?
There isn't one!

It is merely an expectation that rich parents will support their children. If they mismanage their finances through lack of planning, over borrowing or spending on fripperies that's their lookout!

This thread beggars belief in its stupidity.
The OP wasn't about the relative unfairness of it all but about the ludicrous notion of suing SFE because mummy and daddy won't stump up!
(edited 9 years ago)
But if a legal case was won, then what's going to stop everyone who'd currently receive the minimum, saying their parents won't support them for whatever reason? Where will the extra money come from?
Original post by Hedgeman49
Okay, so don't blame the EU students for it!

The majority of people will pay some, but not all of it back. I imagine the number who never make a repayment will be pretty low overall

Well there is less money in the pot then because of that
Original post by balotelli12
What a ridiculous assertion!

Where is the contractual obligation for parents who are wealthy to support their children?
There isn't one!

It is merely an expectation that rich parents will support their children. If they mismanage their finances through lack of planning, over borrowing or spending on fripperies that's their lookout!

This thread beggars belief in its stupidity.
The OP wasn't about the relative unfairness of it all but about the ludicrous notion of suing SFE because mummy and daddy won't stump up!

It's not contractual, but it's certainly an implied expectation that's ingrained into the system.
The OP is not about suing anyone. It's about applying for full SFE on the basis that parental income is not applicable so should not be assessed. Which, by the way, can be the case. If someone's married they get assessed based on their partner and parents are ignored, and if they claim no contact/relationship with parents they get assessed individually.
Tbh at 18 you're still super young, you still have a LONG time to go to university and get the career you want. So, why not work for 3 years after college (or even during college!) earning £8k a year, and you'll then be assessed as independent and it'll go on your own income, not your parents. People in my university are mostly mature students aged 25+.

This argument comes up all the time. The government can't give everyone the full amount, so they give it to those from lower income families. If parents earn quite a lot of money, yet squander it by mismanaging it, that isn't the governments fault. If parents live in a big fancy house with a huge mortgage, and parents REALLY wanted to help their children through university, surely they'd sell one of their cars, or down size house or do SOMETHING?
Student finance is a joke. Here's some advice, when you get your degree, LEAVE. Go to some country and give them your skills, at least that way when you are treated like a second class citizen it's because you are one. The UK can continue ignoring poverty and rising living costs and focus on tax breaks for the rich.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending