The Student Room Group

Want to have a spouse and kids?

Just out of curiosity, do any of you dream of getting married/having a partner and children some day? It's just I keep meeting people who want to be single forever, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm a girl and all of my female uni friends don't want to have families because it would jeopardize their careers. I especially welcome guy's opinions since I haven't come across much of those!

Scroll to see replies

Isn't that the purpose of life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni is a time for having funny. Many people are not worrying about settling down and having to take care of snotty nosed babies instead of focusing on their career after a hard earned degree.
I already have a spouse and children, so yes.
Yeah. I have a long term boyfriend I definitely want children :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymousmouse
Just out of curiosity, do any of you dream of getting married/having a partner and children some day? It's just I keep meeting people who want to be single forever, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm a girl and all of my female uni friends don't want to have families because it would jeopardize their careers. I especially welcome guy's opinions since I haven't come across much of those!

Yeah I want to get married and have kids. Ever since my sister in law got pregnant, my biological clock has been going off like crazy!

Feel like a middle aged women every I see a blonde kid on the street and go "aww" :smile:
I don't want to get married or have children of my own. I don't want to be single forever either lol. I'm happy staying in a long term relationship without having a piece of paper to say I love him/her/whoever. If whoever I was with had children from a previous relationship that's fine too, I just don't want them myself. Maybe in 15 years or so I'll consider adoption but I don't see it happening.

I definitely would love to get married and have children. I don't see how having a family can jeopardise anyone's career. I think if both people actively play a role in taking care of the house and raising the kids, it should be fine. I wouldn't expect my wife to put her career on hold to raise our kids - its equal partnership after all and we would share the responsibilities. Also, I think having a stable family will help both me and her stay happy and well supported in what ever we do. To be honest, I'm really looking forward to some stability like that in my life as right now, my life is quite unstable and not having a supporting shoulder is quite hard, at least for me anyway.

Apart from these standard things, I think I would love all the other perks like living with her, finding out what makes her tick, family holidays, christmas time, celebrating each other's achievements, the kids achievements etc. Sure, there are down sides too, but hey everything in life has that!
Yeah, I often think/daydream about what it'll be like.
I don't know anyone who doesn't want to get married, surprisingly.
No to getting married, but wouldn't mind having a long-term partner and seeing how it goes.

Not sure about having kids. Of course children are wonderful but life has taught me a lot of people think they're entitled to have kids but can't make the necessary sacrifices. Having kids isn't about making your life more meaningful, fulfilling some existential desire to perpetuate yourself in some form and it definitely isn't about avoiding a life of loneliness. When you have kids, they have to come first - you are no longer the most important person in the world anymore, they are. That's a huge sacrifice and a lot of parents don't hit that basic requirement.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't have much of a desire for that at the moment but in the future I wouldn't completely rule it out.
Yes.
Reply 12
yes i want to make my life more meaningful,enjoyable and fufilling by having that, and to pass on my own and fore-bearers genes.
I've always wanted a family and kids. Of course, my main goal right now is graduating and then getting a career in what I really want to do. Family can come afterwards. I've always said that I want to be at least 25 before I think about getting married/having kids but since I'll be 22 in 6 months, 25 seems far too close right now! I've been in my current relationship for four years now though, so who knows?

A lot of people don't want families when they're young in general.

Though in this day and age marriage is a bit out-dated and not really relevant, and as for kids, well with the living cost crisis constantly slogging on and kids getting more and more expensive it's a bit of a decision to.

With increased education people are more than ever fully aware of just how much they don't want to bring a child into the world they aren't mostly confident of raising well.

I personally don't want children or marriage but then that's just me. I can't discount I might change my mind in the future but right now it feels like a far off and uncharacteristic change in attitude. I greatly value my ability to pick myself up and wander off to whatever and whenever even if I don't actually use that freedom.

I don't feel I particularly have a single fatherly bone in me either, and having to stop a 'little idiot' from constantly trying to kill itself would stress me out beyond my limits. There's the constant battle just to look after myself, and the fact there isn't anyone I trust to look after me while I am busy looking out for the sprogg(s).
Then there's also the simple fact that until a few years ago I have had a strange dislike of kids especially groups of them) the way they grate on my patience, etc. Intellectually I know they can't help being irrational little brats but on a personal level it really used to proper annoy me that they couldn't be reasoned with. As a child I got on quite well with adults so I guess despite being immature in a lot of ways I was also quite reasonable and it boggled my mind how dumb other kids could be.
Much better and patient and less bothered by children these days, but I definitely prefer adult company.

As for marriage, well I dunno, Sounds like an awfully expensive and risky legal contract. It costs me to get married and then it costs me come any divorce. Lots of cost, little return.
I also as an attitude don;t feel I need the states permission to love whomever I want to love and be with them. Likewise the memory of me and my relationships are going to fade very quickly to forgotten past my own death and I don;t believe in God or any of that so for what is effectively just a personal bond between me and my girlfriend I could just throw a cheap n fun party, and afterwards go home without any huge and arbitrary expenses, or carrying a huge ton of emotional and expectational luggage that seems to have been hung on the concept of weddings and matrimony.

Basically I could write an essay of everything wrong or irrelevant with marriage (in the modern world at least concerning love since women are no longer chattel or ways to trade property, for the best of course), suffice to say I don't see the point. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Though in this day and age marriage is a bit out-dated and not really relevant

Why is marriage not relevant?
Just out of curiosity, do any of you dream of getting married/having a partner and children some day?

I'm engaged so yes.
Would like to get married one day, yeah, but kids are a huge no-no.
Original post by leedswest
Why is marriage not relevant?

Unless you propose rescinding all women rights and turning them back into commodities for fathers and prospective grooms to trade, and also as a tool to trade familial property and alliances it really doesn't serve much of a purpose at all.

It might hold relevance to the religiously inclined but since I don't hold any spiritual beliefs that include marriage that's also irrelevant.

Since your query suggests you see some relevance, would you care to share what you feel makes it so?

I don't see why it would jeopardize careers?

And as for the question, I already have a spouse and trying for a baby so yes I do want it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending