The Student Room Group

My ex won't give me my stuff back

We were together almost 2 years, and he dumped me by text out of the blue 3 weeks ago then I found out he had been cheating on me and is with this girl now. So, yeah, he's clearly a massive dick.

He has 2 shirts of mine, which I don't really care about. He also has one of my books, and I politely asked for it back but he never responded. My books mean a lot to me and I know this may seem ridiculous but I really would like it back because I found it in a small book store and I've never seen it anywhere else before and it wasn't exactly cheap either.

I can't just go to his house and get it because we were long distance, 150 miles apart, so...

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Astronomy Nerd
We were together almost 2 years, and he dumped me by text out of the blue 3 weeks ago then I found out he had been cheating on me and is with this girl now. So, yeah, he's clearly a massive dick.

He has 2 shirts of mine, which I don't really care about. He also has one of my books, and I politely asked for it back but he never responded. My books mean a lot to me and I know this may seem ridiculous but I really would like it back because I found it in a small book store and I've never seen it anywhere else before and it wasn't exactly cheap either.

I can't just go to his house and get it because we were long distance, 150 miles apart, so...

Any advice?

So why were you with him for 2 years?
Reply 2
If he's not responding the only thing i can think of doing is threatening to phone the police but they're not going to care about one book...

Offer to pay for the P&P, with an extra £10 thrown in for his efforts? But he might just steal your money. Sticky.

Any advice?

He sounds horrible, i thought it was just girls that dump boys but i guess it happens the other way round too.
You seem like a nice girl, perhaps go online and fill in a form for the small claims court, then they'll send a letter to him. Or send a letter saying, you will need to attend the small claims court in wherever on a certain date.
Original post by DanielDr
So why were you with him for 2 years?

Because he wasn't a dick for those 2 years. He met new people and turned into a completely different, and horrible, person.
Original post by MrKappa
If he's not responding the only thing i can think of doing is threatening to phone the police but they're not going to care about one book...

Offer to pay for the P&P, with an extra £10 thrown in for his efforts? But he might just steal your money. Sticky.

I don't really want to get authorities involved because it is just a book. And to be honest he doesn't deserve my money, he treated me like **** in that last week of our relationship and I never did anything to deserve being treated like that. He owes me a hell of a lot, including an explanation as to why he told me he loved me the day before he dumped me, yet all I'm asking for is for him to return a book and he can't even do that.
Original post by Flyingaround
He sounds horrible, i thought it was just girls that dump boys but i guess it happens the other way round too.
You seem like a nice girl, perhaps go online and fill in a form for the small claims court, then they'll send a letter to him. Or send a letter saying, you will need to attend the small claims court in wherever on a certain date.

It shouldn't really have to be like that, I mean, it's just a book. He has no reason to be like this, I never betrayed him or lied to him or hurt him. Is it really that much trouble, after 2 years together, to return something I let him borrow?
Reply 7
He's being so terribly and awfully unreasonable, however, there isn't much that can be done on account of him not talking to you. Forget about the book, stop trying to contact him and just ignore him for the rest of your days.
Reply 8

Any advice?

Just move on.
It shouldn't really have to be like that, I mean, it's just a book. He has no reason to be like this, I never betrayed him or lied to him or hurt him. Is it really that much trouble, after 2 years together, to return something I let him borrow?

Perhaps tell him in an email like how you said it here about how much it means to you.
Haha what a lad. My n.....
Have you got any friends who live near him who could get it back for you? He might be less willing to say no to someone who isn't you. Or you could always threaten him with legal action even if you have no intention of going through with it.
And there was me replying to your previous thread trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.. Why do I assume that anyone is capable of acting as humbly and admirably as I'd try my uttermost to act in such a situation?
Wish you the best OP with retreaving your things and moving on swiftly.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Have you got any friends who live near him who could get it back for you? He might be less willing to say no to someone who isn't you. Or you could always threaten him with legal action even if you have no intention of going through with it.

Unfortunately not. I think i'll just have to ask again, and if I get no response then I'll just forget about it. It's my birthday soon, I'll ask for a new book :cool:
Original post by Mockery
And there was me replying to your previous thread trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.. Why do I assume that anyone is capable of acting as humbly and admirably as I'd try my uttermost to act in such a situation?
Wish you the best OP with retreaving your things and moving on swiftly.

Ah if only that were so. Thank you.
Reply 15
150 miles? There's not really much that you can do other than hope that he gives whatever of your belongings back.
Reply 16
Unreturned belongings is a standard messy break up issue. And lending books generally is fraught with potential for loss. Save angst, just put it down to experience and the happier times and buy a new copy.
Ask again and offer to pay postage.
Cant you just tell your parents about it so that they will sort it out for you?
Ask again and make it clear you want it back. Also, do you have any mutual friends living near him? If so, ask them if they could do you a massive favour and get the book for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending