The Student Room Group

'Bank' Care Assistant job

Hi.....

(I'm new to this and know I'm probably posting this in the wrong section, sorry!)

I was recently successful in my interview as a Care Assistant and was told there and then that the job was mine. I remember looking down at the sheet she (the manager) was writing on and noticed it said 'bank' but thought nothing of it as it wasn't really mentioned to me.
Then we discussed what hours I'd like and I said as many as possible, so we agreed that because I'm a student 3 12hour shifts a week would suffice but that I can have as many/little as I like.
I'm currently awaiting my police check to come back before I can start and I just happened to Google what 'bank' means and I'm devastated. WHY would she offer me 3 shifts a week if I'm really only on an 'as and when needed basis'?

Gr
I was a bank healthcare assistant on the NHS and I essentially worked full-time hours. Each week the staffing office would phone me up and offer me more work than I knew what to do with. If the manager has offered you three shifts a week this means that they do have that amount available for bank staff.

It should have been obvious that you were bank when she asked you how many shifts you wanted - full and part-time staff have fixed hours and they don't get to pick how many shifts they work (although some do take on extra shifts through the bank). Bank working is more flexible and better for students. Don't worry, you will be fine.
I work part time as a bank care assistant, and I also had to fill in my availability for nights/days/full time/part time etc. I find that in the care industry, there is always a shortage of staff so I wouldn't worry about not getting the hours - they're crying out for staff!

Just keep at it, and take what they offer you I'd advise, give yourself a good reputation then they'll always call on you.

Good luck!
Can I just ask what the word 'bank' means in this context? I am a bit confused.
Reply 4
Original post by Girlygirl2003

It refers to the 'staff bank', which is a team of staff who can fill in for absent staff or help when wards are busy. If you have a 'bank' job, you will have access to a (usually weekly) list of shifts that require an extra staff member, and can book yourself in to work these shifts. It means you won't have any fixed hours, or be guaranteed work each week, but most of the time there is work available all through the week (especially now with COVID). It's good for healthcare students who are trying to make some extra money and get some valuable experience. Staff who have a permanent job in healthcare can also join the staff bank and pick up extra shifts to earn more. Nothing to do with an actual (money) bank
Original post by millsr
It refers to the 'staff bank', which is a team of staff who can fill in for absent staff or help when wards are busy. If you have a 'bank' job, you will have access to a (usually weekly) list of shifts that require an extra staff member, and can book yourself in to work these shifts. It means you won't have any fixed hours, or be guaranteed work each week, but most of the time there is work available all through the week (especially now with COVID). It's good for healthcare students who are trying to make some extra money and get some valuable experience. Staff who have a permanent job in healthcare can also join the staff bank and pick up extra shifts to earn more. Nothing to do with an actual (money) bank

Oh right, that makes so much sense! Thank you ever so much for explaining! Are medical applicants able to do something like this during their gap year? Also, what kind of things does a bank care home assistant need to do?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh right, that makes so much sense! Thank you ever so much for explaining! Are medical applicants able to do something like this during their gap year? Also, what kind of things does a bank care home assistant need to do?

Yep, bank care work (or full/part time) is a really good way to get experience before applying to med! Care assistants generally take on personal care jobs like washing and feeding patients, but can be trained to perform some simple clinical tasks too. There are a few bank HCA jobs available at the moment to help with the vaccination programme, but I'm not sure if that's delivering jabs or helping out elsewhere. https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/ will have some bank HCA jobs open for applicants, and https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/ manages bank work in a few NHS trusts. There's more info about the role of an HCA here https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/healthcare-support-worker/roles-healthcare-support-worker/healthcare-assistant
Reply 7

Hello your employed but are not guaranteed work it’s a pool of people who the company call upon to fill in shifts to cover the hours needed on support you are not obliged to accept shifts when offered them you can almost pick and choose which shifts you want
In the care system there is always work for bank staff and you are consistently kept in work
You can say how many hours you would like to work a week and they offer you shifts

Quick Reply

Latest