Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever go out with someone whose english was bad? Watch

I met a guy and liked him but he just came to the country and his english isnt too great.however, we share another language (Hindi as both of my parents are Indian) however, I was born and raise here and not as fluent in hindi as I am in english (I always find myself replacing hindi words with english in sentences because I genuinely don't know the language properly). I avoid him because i know communication is crucial for a relationship and this can't work

ReputationRep:
    Nope I wouldn't , I only speak English and I'm really not that patient

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would. And I have done. My own English is good enough for two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightDream)
    Same
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Depends how bad it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Depends how bad it is.
    Because yours aint that good. "Almost French"

ReputationRep:
    Only if she isn't from a country where English isn't the main language.

ReputationRep:
    When my parent met, my mom. Spoke only English, and my dad spoke only Italian. Yet here I am.

ReputationRep:
    ye. I'd prefer someone speaks different languages to me so we have more choices of countries we can explore easily.

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldnt, I'm a pedant and I couldnt live with it. Am all in favour of speaking many languages of course, but the English would have to be flawless for me.

ReputationRep:
    My brother's [pregnant] gf is Polish and her English isn't amazing, it is possible to make it work. Only if you're really serious about it though I guess, not if you're a kid who's not ready to be patient and make a relationship work.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think I could :/

ReputationRep:
    A guy I have a crush on isn't very good with English. He was born in England and everything and his family is English but he's not very clever..
    I would go out with him based on all the other good qualities about him.. but I'd try and help him with his English. I'm not too bothered when he uses "your" in the wrong way or "their/they're/there" because I don't have a superiority complex and I can still understand what he's saying.

(Original post by Dani California)
    When my parent met, my mom. Spoke only English, and my dad spoke only Italian. Yet here I am.
    are they still together?

(Original post by MidnightDream)
    same
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
    Because yours aint that good. "Almost French"
    My English is fine. My user title is a joke...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    My English is fine. My user title is a joke...
    Okay.

ReputationRep:
    call me a pessimistic so and so but:
    I've found the biggest causes of arguments and misunderstandings are from failures to communicate.
    arguments escalate, irrational judgements are made and consequently so are mistakes.
    these mistakes will just hurt or end your relationship down the line.
    Eventually and almost inevitably your relationship will crumble.
    If you really care about each other then start learning each other's language properly. No excuses.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If they were Russian like me and couldn't speak a word of English, I'd still understand them and go out with them.

But if they spoke a language that I don't know, then no.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.