The Student Room Group

Would you ever go out with someone whose english was bad?

I met a guy and liked him but he just came to the country and his english isnt too great.however, we share another language (Hindi as both of my parents are Indian) however, I was born and raise here and not as fluent in hindi as I am in english (I always find myself replacing hindi words with english in sentences because I genuinely don't know the language properly). I avoid him because i know communication is crucial for a relationship and this can't work

Scroll to see replies

Nope I wouldn't , I only speak English and I'm really not that patient
Yes I would. And I have done. My own English is good enough for two.
Original post by MidnightDream

Same
Depends how bad it is.
Original post by OU Student
Depends how bad it is.

Because yours aint that good. "Almost French"
Only if she isn't from a country where English isn't the main language.
When my parent met, my mom. Spoke only English, and my dad spoke only Italian. Yet here I am.
ye. I'd prefer someone speaks different languages to me so we have more choices of countries we can explore easily.
No I wouldnt, I'm a pedant and I couldnt live with it. Am all in favour of speaking many languages of course, but the English would have to be flawless for me.
My brother's [pregnant] gf is Polish and her English isn't amazing, it is possible to make it work. Only if you're really serious about it though I guess, not if you're a kid who's not ready to be patient and make a relationship work.
I honestly don't think I could :/
A guy I have a crush on isn't very good with English. He was born in England and everything and his family is English but he's not very clever..
I would go out with him based on all the other good qualities about him.. but I'd try and help him with his English. I'm not too bothered when he uses "your" in the wrong way or "their/they're/there" because I don't have a superiority complex and I can still understand what he's saying.
Original post by Dani California
When my parent met, my mom. Spoke only English, and my dad spoke only Italian. Yet here I am.

are they still together?
Original post by MidnightDream

same
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Because yours aint that good. "Almost French"

My English is fine. My user title is a joke...
Original post by OU Student
My English is fine. My user title is a joke...

Okay.
call me a pessimistic so and so but:
I've found the biggest causes of arguments and misunderstandings are from failures to communicate.
arguments escalate, irrational judgements are made and consequently so are mistakes.
these mistakes will just hurt or end your relationship down the line.
Eventually and almost inevitably your relationship will crumble.
If you really care about each other then start learning each other's language properly. No excuses.
No.
If they were Russian like me and couldn't speak a word of English, I'd still understand them and go out with them. :smile:

But if they spoke a language that I don't know, then no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending