The Student Room Group

Failed first year of Uni - advice?

Just received confirmation letter from my university that I have failed my first year. It hasn't come as much of a shock as I have been pretty immature and lazy throughout the year, with my attendance and grades not being the best.

However, I failed due to not successfully passing my placement (I do a teaching course) - which I knew was terminated but I had set in my mind I would be offered a repeat, to which today I have been devastatingly notified that I will not.

I don't really know what I'm asking, or what I really should do. I guess, being quite nostalgic making some very good friends and having setup everything for the year, I would preferably carry on as I could (obviously not doable).

So, really, I'm asking - what are my options? Where do I go from here?

And before I post it, I'm not head over heels for the course, but it's the career I really want to do - the course is a stepping stone, basically.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
How on earth do you fail first year?

Wouldn't these questions be better directed at the institution that you're supposed to be studying at?
Reply 2
You knew you failed placement but you didn't bother talking to your university about it and just expected a second chance?

Honestly it doesn't seem like you are that motivated and just plain lazy maybe take a year out?

Talk to your university and see what they say about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by geneoliver
Just received confirmation letter from my university that I have failed my first year. It hasn't come as much of a shock as I have been pretty immature and lazy throughout the year, with my attendance and grades not being the best.

However, I failed due to not successfully passing my placement (I do a teaching course) - which I knew was terminated but I had set in my mind I would be offered a repeat, to which today I have been devastatingly notified that I will not.

I don't really know what I'm asking, or what I really should do. I guess, being quite nostalgic making some very good friends and having setup everything for the year, I would preferably carry on as I could (obviously not doable).

So, really, I'm asking - what are my options? Where do I go from here?

And before I post it, I'm not head over heels for the course, but it's the career I really want to do - the course is a stepping stone, basically.

Thanks in advance.

I would take time to ask yourself why you didn't put effort into uni to decide where you from here.
You might not be ready for uni because you still want to have fun and find yourself or you chose the wrong course. Whatever the reason, you need to know why before you make a decision.
Reply 4
Do you have the option to resit whichever modules you failed?
Your an idiot, after you failed you should of made sure to sort out a resit placement with the uni your at after you failed. As they could of sorted it to happen before end of the school year. Getting accepted on a teaching course requires you too put the work in straight from start. Am in a similar position to you, I myself have been on teaching course, failed my first placement and unfortunately my second one as well. But I worked 100% and passed everything else. Am lucky my uni runs a similar degree in same area but not teaching that am in the fortunate position of being able to transfer into the second year of that course as I passed all my academic work. You wasted your place on your course when there only so many places. University is all about you putting the effort in not the tutors, you have to do the work. You got no one else to blame but yourself. Am in a lucky position with my uni, but I put the effort in which is why I did got a chance to go onto a second year and not have failed my first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a rethink about what you want to do. Sort yourself out and stop moaning as your the only one to blame. If you wanted it that bad you would of sorted out a resit. The day I failed my first placement I had meeting that afternoon with one of tutors to sort out my options and told them I wanted a resit. The uni sorted it as they knew I wanted to resit. Sounds too me like you just wanted to have fun and not put the working. Which is the one thing you have to do as a teacher. Teacher training is one of the harder undergrads to do. Sounds to me like you your not committed enough to go into teaching. Fun has to be put to the side, during placement. I worked really hard during my placements, lots of things got dropped so I could focus on doing the work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Those people that are calling you an idiot are being somewhat harsh and insensitive. It's not that rare for people to slack during their first year at university, I certainly did- the lifestyle change coupled with the lack of discipline can have a negative impact on the work that you do. However, myself and many of my friends worked hard where it really counted- to meet essay deadlines and whilst revising for exams.

Before doing anything else, I'd think long and hard about what you actually want. Maybe university isn't right for you? Although it is advertised as the right of passage that everyone must undergo it is not necessarily the right passage for all. Some people are best taking vocational routes or working their way up from the cutting room floor in various careers- maybe finding a job and working this way would be best for you.

Enrolling at another university and starting a second degree may well be difficult. You will have to reveal the events of this year sooner or later, and I'm not sure how funding allocations would work out- in sum it could be impossible and expensive. Personally, I would get in contact with your university's academic appeals service and see if you can appeal the decision of your department to disallow you the opportunity to resit. I actually sat on academic appeals committees at my university throughout this year (as the student union representative). Everyone does get a fair hearing and the judgements are normally quite lenient. You will have to lodge letters and paperwork justifying why you failed outright so I would suggest you think of better reasons than "I was too lazy".

Knowing how appeals work, I think if you initiated proceedings now you might get seen sometime in October or even November meaning that you could start over in September 2015.
You've been a little vague so I'm going to make a few assumptions as I reply. You want to be a teacher, yes? What A-Levels (or equivalent) did you achieve?

Talk to your Director of Studies or whomever is in charge of your course, see what they suggest wrt redoing first year. Losing your placement is obviously a problem and might result in you having to take a different course, so have a look at what courses your university offers that you qualify for. You might have to request a course transfer. SFE cover n+1 years, n being the number of years your course lasts, if I recall correctly, so you should be financially ok providing you don't slip again. And once you get back into university (if you decide to carry on) you CANNOT let it get away from you again. Take it seriously this time.

If you do want to teach and have to change course, all is not lost: there are lots of ways to enter the profession. What age are you aiming for?
Reply 9
I think that the idiot here is the person who wanted to be a teacher and does not know which 'your' she needs to use or indeed that she should have (of??) learned to write English before aspiring to teach! Lots of people fail first year. Very often because greedy Universities let people on to courses which they are neither qualified for or suited to. I might say,
Original post by lozzielizzie
Have a rethink about what you want to do. Sort yourself out and stop moaning as your the only one to blame. If you wanted it that bad you would of sorted out a resit. The day I failed my first placement I had meeting that afternoon with one of tutors to sort out my options and told them I wanted a resit. The uni sorted it as they knew I wanted to resit. Sounds too me like you just wanted to have fun and not put the working. Which is the one thing you have to do as a teacher. Teacher training is one of the harder undergrads to do. Sounds to me like you your not committed enough to go into teaching. Fun has to be put to the side, during placement. I worked really hard during my placements, lots of things got dropped so I could focus on doing the work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There you go again using of instead of have.
I did not say what subject I was training to teach in, which was physical education. You have a moan about my grammar but you do not known me. I have dyslexia so do mess up with my English at times, as it is a constant struggle. I known I was being critical of the person who started this post. That was just my view, I had to give 100% during my degree due to my dyslexia. I worked full time before coming to uni and I did and do find it hard, some students view on studying and attending uni.
You really need to change your mindset. If you truly want to carry on, your options would be:
- take a break. Take a year out, decide what you want. I believe if you really want something, you will work for it. You could do work, travel or volunteering during this time
- resit the year. Obviously it depends on your uni policy, which you would need to check. Have you consulted your personal tutor for advice
-if you cannot resit, apply for a course at a different university

Whichever step you take, please make sure you go for it with your full heart. Being lazy and not bothering to get the right info or put total effort is not the way in career, or life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending