The Student Room Group

New maths and further maths A Levels

New maths and further maths A Levels are being introduced for first teaching from September 2016.

Click to read the new content for maths and further maths.

These should be read in conjunction with the report from ALCAB.

Decision maths is dead. Exams are longer and less structured. There is no module choice in A Level. There is little choice in FM. Coursework is gone.

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for this. It won't directly affect me even if fully implemented, but if I'm honest the course content seems pretty similar from a cursory glance. They seem to want more challenging, problem solving style exam questions, and statistic papers are to have larger, more realistic datasets. They also want the integration of technology into all aspects of the curriculum and examination, whatever they mean by that. I think the only real change is loss of choice, which is not necessarily 100% bad, just different.
I don't really know what my stance on this is. All my AS exams this year have been in May/June and It wasn't all that stressful if I'm honest. Perhaps a longer exam is better, perhaps not.
"The use of real, large data sets should permeate the teaching, learning and assessment of statistics in AS and A level mathematics and further mathematics "

How would this work in exams? Unless this is going to go with their use of technology? (Possibly exams on computers using statistical software????)
Original post by Mr M
New maths and further maths A Levels are being introduced for first teaching from September 2016.

Decision maths is dead. Exams are longer and less structured. There is no module choice in A Level. There is little choice in FM. Coursework is gone.

Can you expand on what you mean when you say there is "little choice in FM", from what I read, I thought exam boards have more choice in terms of the content they can set as only 50% of the qualification is prescribed.

It's nice to see some set theory in A-Level Maths, although a downside to these changes is that less applied maths can be studied in A Level Maths. This year I've been able to study M1 & M2, but some content will have to be shifted to FM (which presumably means some mechanics will actually have to be removed).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr M

Does it say how long the new exams will be? And how would it be 'less structured'?
Original post by ThatPerson
Can you expand on what you mean why you say there is "little choice in FM", from what I read, I thought exam boards have more choice in terms of the content they can set as only 50% of the qualification is prescribed.

The choice is between extra mechanics or extra statistics. The 50% core is prescribed and decision has been scrapped.
Original post by rayquaza17
Unless this is going to go with their use of technology? (Possibly exams on computers using statistical software????)

No exams on computer but there must be extensive use of spreadsheets and graphing software in lessons.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Does it say how long the new exams will be? And how would it be 'less structured'?

No but I would expect there to be two exams of 2 hrs 30 mins to 3 hours duration. 'Less structured' means the questions will go "blah blah blah" (15 marks) rather than "blah" (5 marks) "blah" (5 marks) "blah" (5 marks).
Original post by Mr M
No exams on computer but there must be extensive use of spreadsheets and graphing software in lessons.

But they said use of large data sets in assessment though?

Hope they don't use Excel! One of my lecturers had very strong opinions on the use of Excel for statistics.
And the publishers will be able to sell a whole new load of textbooks.

Ho, hum.
Original post by Mr M

I certainly think longer and less structured exams are better. Perhapd going back to the earlier years where it was just a few 3 hour papers with question choice.

I havent been able to look at the link. Do they specify how long they are and is there question choice? I think question choice should certainly be brought back..only my board (MEI) had it in a few modules but i dont think any others did.

What will become of additional further maths?
They should just set STEP styled papers on each module. It would massively increase the credibility of Maths A Levels and would also improve the problem solving ability of the average student entering University.
Original post by Mr M

Aren't these just recommendations?

Decision maths is dead.

Praise the Lord. Maybe they ought to keep it but move it to A level Computing, where it would make some sense.

They look like a pretty sensible set of recommendations. I get the impression that they were heavily influenced by university mathematics departments in terms of the suggested changes.

Now all we have to do is add some maths back into A level physics ..
Original post by newblood
I certainly think longer and less structured exams are better. Perhapd going back to the earlier years where it was just a few 3 hour papers with question choice.

I havent been able to look at the link. Do they specify how long they are and is there question choice? I think question choice should certainly be brought back..only my board (MEI) had it in a few modules but i dont think any others did.

What will become of additional further maths?

Additional FM is dead. Question choice is a possibility - Awarding Bodies would need to submit specimen papers to Ofqual for approval and cross their fingers.

Coursework is gone so wave goodbye to the MEI numerical methods task.
Original post by atsruser
Aren't these just recommendations?

Nope. They are drafts but they will come in with little modification.

Praise the Lord. Maybe they ought to keep it but move it to A level Computing, where it would make some sense.

Apparently it is of little use there either. Under the new NC everyone should be able to program by the time they start their GCSEs so this makes the study of algorithms redundant.

I get the impression that they were heavily influenced by university mathematics departments in terms of the suggested changes.

Bang on.

Now all we have to do is add some maths back into A level physics

The ALCAB report mentions the need to increase the mathematical demand in A Level physics.
Original post by arrow900
They should just set STEP styled papers on each module. It would massively increase the credibility of Maths A Levels and would also improve the problem solving ability of the average student entering University.

And the failure rate would hit 95%.
Original post by Mr M
Additional FM is dead. Question choice is a possibility - Awarding Bodies would need to submit specimen papers to Ofqual for approval and cross their fingers.

Coursework is gone so wave goodbye to the MEI numerical methods task.

Im quite happy about the coursework. Obviously ive just finishd alevels in maths, fmaths and addfmaths. Im certainly disappointed to see the loss of addfurther maths. It was only when i reached S4 that basic probability was actually covered even slightly properly and then it got quite interesting when it advanced to generating functions. I sense this may cause some issues for Camb (STEP III applied), though this is probably insignificant compared to the removal of AS for every subject. Apart from the issue of uni admissions, that is a good idea.

Nice to see decision gone (mind numbingly boring that was)...i chose M4 over D2 and it was better.

Coursework featured in numerical methods and differential equations only counted towards 20 of the total 100 UMS for the module. So they could still easily keep the modules and make it 100% exam based. Time and effort put in the coursework (especially for DE) is no where near justified for the number of marks theyre worth.

All in all, looks like a step in the right direction...i just hope they havent severely limited the applied content. To think its gone from M6/S6 down to M4/S4 and now what to...M2 level? Thats slightly worrying...

Now all we have to do is add some maths back into A level physics ..

Now that would be a good day, eh
Original post by newblood
All in all, looks like a step in the right direction...i just hope they havent severely limited the applied content. To think its gone from M6/S6 down to M4/S4 and now what to...M2 level? Thats slightly worrying...

I expect it will still go to M4 level in FM. Students will be able to choose to do more statistics or more mechanics. If they choose just one application it will need to have a reasonable depth.

Quick Reply

Latest