Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Isn't it rude to rate people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I see people saying "He's 4/10" or things like that. Isn't it rude to rate people? It's rude to insult other people...

ReputationRep:
    I think it is yes, the same goes for people who treat girls as a competition. Like seeing how many girls they can sleep with.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it's degrading, and incredibly egotistic for the 'rater'.

People shouldn't listen to rates, and definitely not to the people who are rating.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think it's really rude. No one should rate anyone nor should anyone ask to be rated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Heh, perhaps a little.

It's so subjective though that it's difficult to put any real weight behind, so I honestly couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    i like a bit of feedback, helps me improve my weaknesses

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind being rated so long as the judgement is based on all of me (i.e. my personality as well as just my looks).
    • Welcome Squad

People can do what they like.

It doesn't mean that it's right but if you want to rate someone go ahead.

Just remember they're humans with feelings. And it can be upsetting to be viewed like cattle.

ReputationRep:
    christ this site is full of virgins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    I see people saying "He's 4/10" or things like that. Isn't it rude to rate people? It's rude to insult other people...
    Yeah, I think it's rude if it's something that's discussed. And it seems pointless - it's subjective, no one's going to agree, everyone finds different people attractive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How else can warm-blooded males communicate to each other someone's level of attractiveness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    christ this site is full of virgins.
    What's wrong with being a virgin?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    To be fair guys do it to girls just as much. I wouldn't care if people are secretly rating me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP a 2/10

ReputationRep:
    Not rude at all. Most men like women,most women like men.
    If I see a woman,I will rate her in my mind accordingly.If i feel like the time and the place is right and shes good looking enough for me to talk to i will then try and pursue her like a lion pursues its prey

I am not a number

(Original post by Metropolis)
      i like a bit of feedback, helps me improve my weaknesses
      being given a number tells you nothing

ReputationRep:
      Most people will, it's just the way of the world. Whether it's a person's looks, ability, or whatever else. It's going to happen.

It can be seen as rude, but so long as people keep it to themselves, unless it is warranted or asked for, then it should not matter. Also, so long as you don't judge their entire person based on one attribute.

ReputationRep:
      I suppose it's only rude if you say it to their face or so they can hear. I think when people do it, it just highlights their simplicity as a person, numbers aren't very descriptive of a person's good qualities. Although, I suppose really they're just joking around, no big deal.

Just raise an eyebrow and shake your head in disapproval.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      I am not a number

being given a number tells you nothing
      yup, it tells me that this x/10 person thinks i am y/10

you can start to make correlations

ReputationRep:
      We should all just walk around with ratings attached to our heads

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.