The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hanzolo
Out of curiosity, is anyone on this thread waiting for University of Ulster's (Jordanstown) HPAT results for SLT coming out this week? I understand that the majority of people here are discussing courses in England/Wales and this post may get lost but thought I may as well try :tongue:. The wait is absolutely killing me.

Also - any Northern Irish mature students applying here who are struggling with funding possibilities for the undergrad? I got offers from Reading and UoM, but am waiting to see how Jordanstown goes first because poor little me will be even poorer if I have to go across the water :frown:

Hi there,

I'm a northern irish "mature" student (22) and am going to birmingham in sept for my SLT undergrad. Haven't applied for funding yet but I will mostly be relying on the nhs bursary and reduced student loan. I've been saving up for the past year from working full time also. One of my good friends is also waiting on results from the HPAT so best of luck :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
Well I am holding my breath here for good news for you so they had better hurry up lol!

Just thought I would mention the accreditation issue as it has caught a lot of people by surprise that are doing psychology with, say, criminology - they thought it was a joint honours be apparently if you don't major in psych its not enough so just be careful if you go down the combined course route so there are no (nasty) surprises.

Ah I see, well thank you for the heads up :smile: I'll let you know when I hear any news :smile:
hi all, im a novice to this and this is my first post.
i have applied to mmu amoungst others and have been offered a writted interview next week. can anyone give me any pointers which would help?
any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
a very mature student that is out of practice xx
Reply 3063
Original post by lucasl1986
hi all, im a novice to this and this is my first post.
i have applied to mmu amoungst others and have been offered a writted interview next week. can anyone give me any pointers which would help?
any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
a very mature student that is out of practice xx

Hi had a written interview at Manchester uni a while ago and i just really carefully researched their guidance before it. So i'd just check MMU website and use their guidance. Manchester Uni's written interview was really closely based around 'nhs values' and that's what it stated on the website so ijust read a bit about the nhs values and the importance of respecting a patients autonomy and all that. I'm not sure about MMU but if it looks like its also based around nhs values, give me a message and i'll tell you more about my interview with Manchester. Hope this helps!
Still waiting for UEA. Tempted to withdraw as I want to apply for accommodation and firm where I actually want to go!
Reply 3065
Original post by aimeemayes
Hi, has anyone else applied for Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh, if so have you heard back yet? I'm getting so nervous!

I've applied there, still haven't heard anything! Where else have you applied?
hey guys, been wanting to go into speech and language therapy since year 8, just waiting for my AS results to see if i have the chance, planning to apply for a place at the University of Reading. Anybody else applying there? another question is how many male speech and language therapists are there?
Original post by nesca89
Thank you Amy, don't worry I have already made sure it's accredited. I will be applying to the university of Liverpool through extra. I have already emailed them to ask if they would consider me. They seemed really keen and asked me to send a revised personal statement to them when I apply. So I'm trying to come up with a personal statement for psychology which is proving difficult at the moment haha. I'm hoping that I'll attract some energy from the universe and it will be sent to mmu so say basically 'look she's really trying here, and she's done ANOTHER Personal statement, just give her a place' haha. Fingers crossed!

Have you called MMU recently?
Original post by JordanC55
Have you called MMU recently?

Nope, the last time I emailed them they said that my application is on hold and track will update when the tutor has made a decision. So I don't want to bug them because obviously it's still on hold! :frown:
Original post by shropshirelass51
Have sent you a PM

Yes, thank you for responding!
Reply 3070
Rejected from MMU last night :frown: so I've just accepted my offer from Sheffield. Means I will be commuting from manchester. Are there any current students on here who can give me an idea of the timetable so I can plan ahead? Thanks.
Original post by Aah28
Rejected from MMU last night :frown: so I've just accepted my offer from Sheffield. Means I will be commuting from manchester. Are there any current students on here who can give me an idea of the timetable so I can plan ahead? Thanks.

I'm really sorry to hear about that :frown: at least you have an offer though which is positive news :smile:
Original post by Aah28

Really sorry to hear that.
Original post by Aah28

Sorry to hear that. We will be coursemates in Sheffield though :smile: and I'll try to pm you the current timetables later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aah28

There is a woman in my year at Sheffield who commuted from Nottingham on public transport in first and second year, so it's definitely possible! Will you be driving or train? I can send you copies of the first year timetables from the past couple of years if you like.
Reply 3075
Thanks everyone! I'm happy to have got a place at all, but would have been much easier without the commute!
Reply 3076
Original post by juliewho
There is a woman in my year at Sheffield who commuted from Nottingham on public transport in first and second year, so it's definitely possible! Will you be driving or train? I can send you copies of the first year timetables from the past couple of years if you like.

That would be great thank you, would be really helpful.
Reply 3077
Original post by Clivia
Sorry to hear that. We will be coursemates in Sheffield though :smile: and I'll try to pm you the current timetables later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay course mates! :smile: how do you have the timetables already?
Original post by grace22
Hi there,

Oh great news, so I will see you there then! Thank you and same to you! I'm really looking forward to starting too, I'm 22 and studied in Belfast previously. I'm from ireland so I will be moving over to Birmingham in September (scary but exciting) :smile: does the university sort out all health checks for us?

Hi Grace, I am also going to BCU and Im also 22 years old. Did I sit next to you at the interview 11th of March?

Congrats on the offer
Hey guys, does anyone know if MMU are holding more interviews? And is anyone else still waiting to hear?

Quick Reply

Latest