The Student Room Group

Most disappointing tourist attraction?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantex
Keswick Pencil Museum.

Our Dad took us there as kids. He was so enthusiastic about it beforehand, but when we got there and found out it was nothing but pencils.

Lol. I was so close to going but then decided against it. It's meant to be the best thing to do in Keswick! Stuck with Derwent water and the villages around Keswick.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree but people believe everything they hear. I've been to Manchester about 8 or 9 times and the first thing that got me was how small the city centre was, outside of it it's a complete dump as well, 'scallies' everywhere.

Also you are spot on about it being unfriendly, that's not a dig at the Mancs on here, just the Liam Gallagher-esque stereotype is pretty accurate. So many moody knobheads up there. Scousers on the other hand, are generally excellent.

I agree with your opinion of the Mancunian people. Even the name 'Mancunian' sound ghastly.

But Liverpool is a vile place and so is its accent.
Original post by D.Wright
I agree with your opinion of the Mancunian people. Even the name 'Mancunian' sound ghastly.

But Liverpool is a vile place and so is its accent.

I disagree but I can't be bothered to argue over it.

When Scouse accents are so strong you can hear the phlegm then yeah they aren't great but a mild one on a woman is quite nice.

Manc accents just make women sound like blokes imo.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Also you are spot on about it being unfriendly, that's not a dig at the Mancs on here, just the Liam Gallagher-esque stereotype is pretty accurate. So many moody knobheads up there.

I have to agree with you there. I went there once on a night out and I got mugged at a cash point. Not planning on going back there again.
Reply 24
Notre Dame. Architecturally it is astounding and so beautiful, but it is completely overrun with tourists. I was only in it for about 10 minutes when I went to Paris.
Reply 25
Buckingham Palace.

Some tourist said, "that's it!?". Read my mind.
Edinburgh zoo. I love our city but the zoo really puts us to shame. It's really small compared to other zoos I've been to in other cities.
Original post by ldsbabe
Everything in NYC

Original post by PQ
Paris

(all of it)

Whats wrong with them?
Original post by Secretnerd123
Whats wrong with them?

I lived in New York for a spell. I ADORE long island and upstate new york, but the city is so disappointing. Super busy and full of tourists (what you would expect), but really too busy to enjoy anything.
Original post by kka25
Buckingham Palace.

Some tourist said, "that's it!?". Read my mind.

Ikr. Just seeing from outside is so bland
Reply 30
Original post by CocoaPowder
Edinburgh zoo. I love our city but the zoo really puts us to shame. It's really small compared to other zoos I've been to in other cities.

Aw :frown: I'm from Yorkshire and in Year 13 and we're taking about 40 year 7/8s to Edinburgh for 4 days and we're off to Edinburgh Zoo and I thought it looked quite good. We are however off to Hard Rock too and the optical museum :biggrin:

My worst was York Eye, I love the railway museum but they used to have an eye feris wheel in Bridlington and it was honestly better than the York Eye
Original post by Limpopo
Thinking about the UK, Stonehenge has got to be one of the worst.

Totes agree - smaller than I thought, expensive and you can't get anywhere near. I imagine at one time it felt mystical but that's been wiped away by the tourist attraction style entrance and visitor centre.
Original post by Limpopo
Thinking about the UK, Stonehenge has got to be one of the worst.

Cyprus,, The Tombs of The Kings,, a dump of a demolition site made for ripping off tourists. A series of holes in the ground where no kings were ever buried. They just made it up !

Have you been to Stonehenge recently? It is much better presented now that the new visitor centre is open, they've got rid of the horrid underground tunnel to it and cleared some of the roads away.
The Forbidden City in Beijing.
Original post by Captain Jack
Totes agree - smaller than I thought, expensive and you can't get anywhere near. I imagine at one time it felt mystical but that's been wiped away by the tourist attraction style entrance and visitor centre.

Surely they are better than the previous public toilet-style presentation? :confused:

I would say in this country, some to not bother seeing are:

* Hadrian's Wall (not counting the fort museums, some of which are good, it's mostly a line of low greyish bricks set in indescribably wet and cold hills)

* Chesil Beach (incredibly long, samey and boring, no fossils in sight no matter how hard you search, despite its reputation for dinosaurs)

* Madame Tussauds (long overdue for closure - almost too bad to describe and insanely overpriced)

* The Crown Jewels (a breathlessly quick shuffle past loads of glittering stuff that may all be just fakes to fool the touroids)

* Harrods (piles of overpriced stuff available cheaper elsewhere without the surly service)

* Oxford St (same shops, but with hideously difficult access due to pavement overcrowding on a par with the Mumbai overground)

* Speakers Corner (recently revamped to cater for the assorted products of the mental health system who gather there)
The Empire State building - the view at the top is so so gorgeous and mind blowing, but the view from ground level is disappointing. I think the actual building is kind of ugly, and not as tall as I expected it to seem (considering it was tallest in the world for a while)..
The Manneken Pis was pretty disappointing. It looks like something you could buy for your garden in B&Q.
Heights of Abraham - a cable car and a giftshop basically
Reply 38
World of Gnomes or something in Dartmoor.

Stumbled into it by mistake whilst doing something completely different. It was basically someone's garden full of gnomes and they charged to come in and look at it. To make it worse, they were selling loads of new age rubbish like dreamcatchers and those pre-painted dragons and fairies (and those wolf howling at the moon pictures).

Eden Project

So rubbish. It was a really big greenhouse. One dome full of sand, one was really hot. I tried to get a few people together to start trouble and ask for our money back.

Stonehenge

Have to agree with the others. You grow up thinking it's like Merlin's birthplace or something, the navel of mystical pagan power and all that. You drive past without even realising you missed it. It's not really all that.

Coral Bay, Cyprus

A beach made up almost entirely of cigarette butts
Original post by Secretnerd123
Whats wrong with them?

Paris was dirty, run down and full of rude people - like london with even worse manners.

---------------------------------------------------

For everyone who hated Stonehenge this place: http://www.knowlton-family.co.uk/History/knowlton_church.htm is properly creepy and atmospheric, free to get in and really wonderful (I mean it isn't going to entertain you or make up a whole day out but if you're in the area it gave me proper chills (specially the little shrine between the yew trees)

Quick Reply

Latest