The Student Room Group

How to Student Finance calculate entitlement as a mature student?

I've been to university before so not sure if the systems have changed (the style of the website certainly has - it feels far more simple) but how do Student Finance calculate entitlement these days? All I gave them was my NI number and other simple details and it came back with 'approved' and maintenance loan and grant far bigger than I got last time I was at uni (despite the general trend to be going down, I thought?)

Thanks for reading
Reply 1
Original post by ironandbeer
I've been to university before so not sure if the systems have changed (the style of the website certainly has - it feels far more simple) but how do Student Finance calculate entitlement these days? All I gave them was my NI number and other simple details and it came back with 'approved' and maintenance loan and grant far bigger than I got last time I was at uni (despite the general trend to be going down, I thought?)

Thanks for reading

It depends on your circumstances. You may have been assessed on your parents' income last time - if they earned a lot, then you might have been on the minimum funding. If you're applying based on your own income now, it will be nil if you're going to be a full-time student, potentially giving you the maximum Maintenance Loan+Maintenance Grant combo.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
It depends on your circumstances. You may have been assessed on your parents' income last time - if they earned a lot, then you might have been on the minimum funding. If you're applying based on your own income now, it will be nil if you're going to be a full-time student, potentially giving you the maximum Maintenance Loan+Maintenance Grant combo.

Sorry I'm out of rep today - will try to remember to do this shortly.

I'm over 25 now so I think you're absolutely right - my parents were hardly rolling in it though. But yes, it seems I'm on a hell of a lot more loan and grant wise.

Many thanks.
Original post by ironandbeer

Thanks for reading

if you've done more than one year at university previously then that limits your entitlement to student finance
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
if you've done more than one year at university previously then that limits your entitlement to student finance

Thanks. I have to apply including Compelling personal reasons yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending