The Student Room Group

Volunteering ideas to get onto a nursing course?

Can anyone who is currently studying at university or starting this year give me any advice onto which volunteering I should do to put on my personal statement? How did you all stand out to be chosen as it appears nursing is a hard course to get on to:frown:
I did a weeks placement at a private hospital which included working in the physiotherapy department, on the recovery ward and in theatre (which really impressed my interviewer!) and a few weeks here and there at different care homes (they gave great references). Placements at different places in different fields is better, and the longer you do one is better (your weekends for 6 weeks if generally viewed as better than a block week as it shows commitment).
If you want to work in a particular field (child, mental health etc) try get a placement in that area for at least a few days so you can say you've experienced it, but if it's for adult nursing (what I've got my offer for) try volunteer in as many fields as possible. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
If you can't get work experience or voluntary work in a hospital then go volunteer at a local care home or charity and make note of all the skills you've gained and
Reply 3
If you don't mind moving away from home for a bit, I did a placement with CSV, a social care charity that places you with different projects.
I did an academic year as a live in carer for a disabled girl starting university. It was an awesome experience and stood out on my application.
They offer lots of different placements and they're all amazing things to do! It could be from working with children or old people, and you can specify what area you'd like to work in. Accommodation is paid for and you get a food allowance so don't think because it's voluntary you need to support yourself :smile:
Have a look at the website!
www.csv.org.uk
Reply 4
Thanks, would work experience in Birmingham children's hospital be alright if I live in north wales

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending