Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I have done a few school volunteering here and there and I really enjoyed working with children. I'm interested in volunteering in a care home or even better get a weekend job. As someone who has no experience with care home I would like some advice to approaching this sort of field. How difficult is it to find any volunteering jobs?

ReputationRep:
    Care homes are always looking for volunteers and need all the help they can get! Just ring around some in your local area and I am sure you will find something. That's so lovely that you want to give your time to helping out, you can also find a lot of care home jobs on job sites such as reed so try there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoeannmcmillan)
    Care homes are always looking for volunteers and need all the help they can get! Just ring around some in your local area and I am sure you will find something. That's so lovely that you want to give your time to helping out, you can also find a lot of care home jobs on job sites such as reed so try there!
    Thanks for the info! I will definitely look up for some local ones. I like getting paid (as anyone else) but I think for me this is more of a volunteer thing.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I hope you find something

ReputationRep:
    From my experience of having a family member moved across many care homes over the years, I can say that they are almost always understaffed and would greatly appreciate any volunteers. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I found actually going into the care home and speaking to the manager, I did this , she interviewed me then and there and told me I could start as soon as my DBS got back (it's a lot harder to ignore or say no to someone's face than on the phone. It's great you want to do it, I would defiantly recommend it, you'll have some funny/difficult experiences that make volunteering worth it!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the advice. I have free time now to look around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.