The Student Room Group

Volunteering at a care home

Hi everyone

I have done a few school volunteering here and there and I really enjoyed working with children. I'm interested in volunteering in a care home or even better get a weekend job. As someone who has no experience with care home I would like some advice to approaching this sort of field. How difficult is it to find any volunteering jobs?
Care homes are always looking for volunteers and need all the help they can get! Just ring around some in your local area and I am sure you will find something. That's so lovely that you want to give your time to helping out, you can also find a lot of care home jobs on job sites such as reed so try there!
Reply 2
Original post by Zoeannmcmillan
Care homes are always looking for volunteers and need all the help they can get! Just ring around some in your local area and I am sure you will find something. That's so lovely that you want to give your time to helping out, you can also find a lot of care home jobs on job sites such as reed so try there!

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look up for some local ones. I like getting paid (as anyone else) but I think for me this is more of a volunteer thing.
Good luck! I hope you find something :smile:
From my experience of having a family member moved across many care homes over the years, I can say that they are almost always understaffed and would greatly appreciate any volunteers. Good luck.
Reply 5
I found actually going into the care home and speaking to the manager, I did this , she interviewed me then and there and told me I could start as soon as my DBS got back (it's a lot harder to ignore or say no to someone's face than on the phone. It's great you want to do it, I would defiantly recommend it, you'll have some funny/difficult experiences that make volunteering worth it!
Reply 6
Thank you all for the advice. I have free time now to look around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending