The Student Room Group

Why is there so much negativity about commuting to university?

Scroll to see replies

so I live in Scotland so Education at the institutions is free, I also live at home with my family so accommodation is free. So unlike the rest of you who who they will have debt to pay i know I will have £0 debt, i calculated that if I were to pay for my uni education it would cost just under £40k, just let that sink in.

The university I'm going to has the best graduate employment (96%) for my type of degree in the UK. I'm about 20 minute walk from campus and 5 minute drive the same for city centre and night life, i actually live closer than some of the halls. So if someone could please explain to me why it would be better for me to move out and have debt and no savings, go ahead because in my head it's incomparable.

When I leave uni which will be in 4/5 years time I plan to have enough for a house deposit so I can move out and start my fully independent life debt free unlike the majority, so when I settle down I will only have mortgage payments and not countless university loans to repay. Lets also not forget that we go to university to get education.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RoundTrip
Like I said if your local uni is good for your subject your lucky. I'm willing to bet you could've gone to a much better one though if you had chosen to move out.

I'm getting £11249 a year across maintenance loans, grants and bursaries. Only £3800 of that is to be paid back. My accommodation is £100pw for 38 weeks. 11249 - 3800 = 7449. 7449/38 = £196 a week. That's before I take it account my savings which amount to well over 5 figures I made from working for 2 years before uni. Mummy can't give me anything, everything I own I've bought and paid for myself. I admit it is ridiculous I am getting this much "help" because I would've been able to support myself but the way student finance works is incredibly flawed.

Well seeing as I'm budgeting to spend around £25 on food a week in the local sainsburys/waitrose it's going to be hard not eat nice food tbh. How is DEPENDING on your parents for shelter, food, washing being independent? Your much more dependent than people who moved out. They are on their own. If your ill you can't get mummy to ring the doctors, no ones gonna get you out of bed for that early lecture, you have to do your own washing. You become more of an adult. As someone has said commuting/moving out depends on the circumstances of the individual.

You'll regret not moving out and there's a strong chance in 2nd and 3rd year you'll move out with friends. Just saying.

To address your first point, for Aerospace my Uni was where the first commercial jet was built. They're the only Uni who also allow me to have discounts on flying lessons and an opportunity to get a private flying licence. They also have good links with that industry. I'm doing an extended year and they don't provide halls for extended degree people at year 0. Secondly my Uni doesn't provide me with bursaries to the extent of yours, I suppose that's the only down side. My diet would cost £35 per week (thats half the money I'll have left after paying rent if I lived in uni which is £128pw) . Depending on my mum for shelter is basically like you depending on bursaries to pay your bills. I would go to the extent of saying, like you tell me I'm no adult for living with my mother, you're not an adult for not earning the money you live on. I personally am independent I do everything for my home myself from fixing fences and doors to cooking and cleaning the place........I don't even have my mum wake me up etc why? Because I do that myself. I'm not some middle class kid who lives with his parents and makes em do everything for him. I was brought up to be as independent as I could be. I was like this since the age of 16, so who are you to tell me I'm no adult for choosing to stay at home? My priorities also make me choose this. Until I have a car and an income that isn't student finance I'm not moving out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SandmanMMA
Secondly my Uni doesn't provide me with bursaries to the extent of yours, I suppose that's the only down side.

What uni doesn't provide decent bursaries?! Most of them will double your SF income if you're from the lower bands, think mine used to times the grant by 1.5 and give them that.
Original post by LionKing1
so I live in Scotland so Education at the institutions is free, I also live at home with my family so accommodation is free. So unlike the rest of you who who they will have debt to pay i know I will have £0 debt, i calculated that if I were to pay for my uni education it would cost just under £40k, just let that sink in.

The university I'm going to has the best graduate employment (96%) for my type of degree in the UK. I'm about 20 minute walk from campus and 5 minute drive the same for city centre and night life, i actually live closer than some of the halls. So if someone could please explain to me why it would be better for me to move out and have debt and no savings, go ahead because in my head it's incomparable.

When I leave uni which will be in 4/5 years time I plan to have enough for a house deposit so I can move out and start my fully independent life debt free unlike the majority, so when I settle down I will only have mortgage payments and not countless university loans to repay. Lets also not forget that we go to university to get education.

You go to university to get an education, some of us went for that plus a lot more.

My uni wouldn't let you commute, but even if they had and I lived nearby I wouldn't dream of it. I knew my degree meant SL will be paid off quickly, and I wanted to get fully involved in uni life as well, so it was a no brainer.
Original post by Le Nombre
What uni doesn't provide decent bursaries?! Most of them will double your SF income if you're from the lower bands, think mine used to times the grant by 1.5 and give them that.

I wish they did, and I'm going to ask in person but their site says otherwise. Unless you do something healthcare or NHS related you don't get bursary. Unless you have A's and A*'s in A levels you get no scholarships money either. That's what I read anyway, but we'll see on registration day.
You go to university to get an education, some of us went for that plus a lot more.

My uni wouldn't let you commute, but even if they had and I lived nearby I wouldn't dream of it. I knew my degree meant SL will be paid off quickly, and I wanted to get fully involved in uni life as well, so it was a no brainer.

But why would I move so that I can get debt and go to a worse university just so that I can have some house mates?
Original post by SandmanMMA
I wish they did, and I'm going to ask in person but their site says otherwise. Unless you do something healthcare or NHS related you don't get bursary. Unless you have A's and A*'s in A levels you get no scholarships money either. That's what I read anyway, but we'll see on registration day.

So basically they don't do bursaries at all (NHS ones come from the government)? Most older unis have accumulated some serious wealth over the years, your SU should get them to pull their finger out and invest it in the students.

Saying that, scholarships for As/A*s is pretty good, lots of students have them so it could get expensive.
But why would I move so that I can get debt and go to a worse university just so that I can have some house mates?

Assuming you're referring to the no-commuting rule, trust me you will not have been going to a worse uni if you went to mine (as its only competitor has the exact same rule)...

Uni life is way more than just housemates, it's the extra curriculars you can get involved in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Assuming you're referring to the no-commuting rule, trust me you will not have been going to a worse uni if you went to mine (as its only competitor has the exact same rule)...

Uni life is way more than just housemates, it's the extra curriculars you can get involved in.

Depends what you base the best university on, I base it on graduate prospects as that's what matters to me, then again some think the best is the one with the highest entry requirements.
Depends what you base the best university on, I base it on graduate prospects as that's what matters to me, then again some think the best is the one with the highest entry requirements.

The best university is, to me, the one that best combines prospects and stretching you as much as possible academically. Prospects along won't keep you interest for 3 or 4 years. Also, I know that in terms of networking etc. my uni offered the best option over a range of industries not just one, and in my own (Law) it is on a totally different level to all but one.
So basically they don't do bursaries at all (NHS ones come from the government)? Most older unis have accumulated some serious wealth over the years, your SU should get them to pull their finger out and invest it in the students.

Saying that, scholarships for As/A*s is pretty good, lots of students have them so it could get expensive.

Yeah that's why I'm going to ask in person when I go for the registration day. My problem is I'm not entitled to scholarships I don't think, still I'll ask when I'm there. Any help is good help :biggrin:
Original post by RoundTrip
If I lived in Derby I'd be doing anything I could to leave even if it was the easiest option. :rolleyes:

that's you though, not me.
I'm commuting. Don't see the point in spending thousands on accommodation when I can take a 15 minute metro and a 2 minute walk to campus!
Original post by Psyc_Girl
I'll be commuting to university and reading the posts on here about commuting is making me worried.. Surely commuting can't be that bad? If you make an effort, I don't see why your social life would be different to anyone else's?

I am commuting to university. I prefer to live at home because I still have my job and my family here, and it is cheaper and I have more support - financially. It isn't that bad at all - I have commuted to the uni a few times and it is a walk in the park. But it does depend how far you live from there.... I can imagine that can be a major factor.
I commuted to Aston for the entirety of my degree and don't regret that one bit. I stayed with friends in halls / student housing, since they started their degrees a year before I did and knew, almost instantly, it wasn't for me. :dontknow:

I still managed to make good friends (all of whom lived on campus, few of whom now speak to their former housemates or spent the entire four years griping about them). Eh, I know not everyone will have the same experience, that's just mine.
Original post by Old_Simon
These types of post sadden me. The choices are not only about "doing the course" or drinking. The big choices are around establishing your independence, participating in a community by living among your fellows and contributing something to that academic institution. No one says you can not commute but it simply misses half the point of university. You may as well sit in your bedroom doing the Open Uni, save some money and work part time. But that is not the point is it ?

Thanks but if contributing to halls meant bothering me every single night with loud music, I'm glad I'm no longer a part of halls tbh.

I go halfway - I commute to uni by train but I live in a shared flat with five other people. Best of both worlds - I'm independent, I'm near my parents just in case they need me and someone always cooks for us (so none of that "Yo bruv, I'm living on pot noodles for all my uni life! YOLO!").

Actually, in my old uni, my classmates increasingly tried halls but moved out within months. That wouldn't be the case if halls was the be all and end all, right?
Original post by JulietheCat
Thanks but if contributing to halls meant bothering me every single night with loud music, I'm glad I'm no longer a part of halls tbh.

I go halfway - I commute to uni by train but I live in a shared flat with five other people. Best of both worlds - I'm independent, I'm near my parents just in case they need me and someone always cooks for us (so none of that "Yo bruv, I'm living on pot noodles for all my uni life! YOLO!").

Actually, in my old uni, my classmates increasingly tried halls but moved out within months. That wouldn't be the case if halls was the be all and end all, right?

I wasn't necessarily referring to living in halls specifically. Living at home with mum and dad is obviously not the same as sharing a flat.
I think the issue will be more to do with the ECs, which generally take place at 7-9ish at night, and the socials for them which most people can't commute from, though with London you have night buses.

In terms of social I knew commuters (at home, we weren't allowed to commute to my uni) who had good social lives, but inevitably you won't be as good friends as people who live together as a) You don't spend 10 hours or more together every day and b) your primary support network is still elsewhere, whereas for people living in halls their mates are the first ones they have to turn to, not their family any more.

If you get on with your family and aren't that fussed about either ECs or the whole 'friends for life' aspect then commuting's fine, it certainly doesn't have to ruin your uni experience, even if it would ruin some others'.

All of the ECs which interest me usually end between 7-9pm which is no problem for me. The only ECs which I can't go to is those parties that people usually get drunk at (but these parties are not for me).

My commute is maximum 1 hour and 15 minutes, including walking, and although people say that it must be tiring, it's actually not. The tube is very reliable and the trains are air-conditioned, at least all the way to King's Cross.
I had a bad halls experience, but I am SO glad that I didn't live at home.People are saying that they 'save money', but I would pay double just for the experience and the kick up the arse i needed to move away from home.
Independence and fending for yourself is invaluable. I barely got drunk in halls and I never went to parties. It's not about that, it's just about immersing yourself in university culture and life.
Original post by penelopecat
I had a bad halls experience, but I am SO glad that I didn't live at home.People are saying that they 'save money', but I would pay double just for the experience and the kick up the arse i needed to move away from home.
Independence and fending for yourself is invaluable. I barely got drunk in halls and I never went to parties. It's not about that, it's just about immersing yourself in university culture and life.

Exactly. And in that process learning who you really are and what you are capable of. In short establishing your own identity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending