The Student Room Group

How would you rate your parking skills?

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, I tend to park slightly slower than other people, but then I tend to reverse in to the bay, and I usually get it bang perfect, in the centre (Easier to get out of, if you reverse in)

So I'd say average cos of time taken, but normally getting it bang centre in the middle
Average, though as I'm in an Aygo, that's usually all I need! :lol:
Above average, probably down to the car though. My Clio is like a little glass cube, good visibility and a small, manoeuvrable car makes it easy to park. I'm confident enough to park in any space, even if it seems difficult to get in.
Original post by FuelBowser
Looks comfortable. Not many cars can seat 3 in the front

Only 2k at 70mph? That's great, my Honda Accord is doing 2.1k at 70 mph and is 138 bhp

As a diesel you shouldn't need to go much over 4k anyway... Ever given any boy racers a shock from the lights?

Well it's a diesel with a six speed gearbox, the governor makes it rubbish on motorway hills though. I drove a Mercedes Sprinter LWB a month or so back and that had no problem with the M4 hills in sixth and it was pretty much fully loaded too. My normal car is much quicker! It's a 90bhp diesel from the mid 90's with some bigger injectors and it's fairly quick, much quicker than the van.

And it is comfortable. I absolutely love the driving position, but whenever I get back into my car I'm reminded that lumbar support is nice, and the van has none. The upright seating makes it bearable though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by live_a_life
I know, that's why I also mentioned how the shape of the Saxo might give it the edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aerodynamics doesn't make a huge difference at low speeds (0-60)

It will be pivotal at top end however
Reply 25
Original post by Nuffles
Well it's a diesel with a six speed gearbox, the governor makes it rubbish on motorway hills though. I drove a Mercedes Sprinter LWB a month or so back and that had no problem with the M4 hills in sixth and it was pretty much fully loaded too. My normal car is much quicker! It's a 90bhp diesel from the mid 90's with some bigger injectors and it's fairly quick, much quicker than the van.

And it is comfortable. I absolutely love the driving position, but whenever I get back into my car I'm reminded that lumbar support is nice, and the van has none. The upright seating makes it bearable though.

Always nice to drive something where someone else picks up the bill

What kind of mpg is it getting ?

Can you take bends as fast as your car? Presumably it's got big wide tyres with lots of grip
Reply 26
Average or just above. I used to have to park a Vaux Zafira and that took some parking.
Original post by FuelBowser
Always nice to drive something where someone else picks up the bill

What kind of mpg is it getting ?

Can you take bends as fast as your car? Presumably it's got big wide tyres with lots of grip

I'm on my third van since I've been working there as I haven't settled on one yet and I keep on borrowing other people's, they're all the same van though. I've not filled up twice on the same van yet, but it's got a 100 litre tank so fill ups are £130+, so glad it's not coming out of my pocket! I'd guess in the high 20's-low 30's though, maybe lower than that.

I think you're underestimating what a large van is like to drive. It looks like a brick and drives like one :tongue: Lots of body roll in corners and it'll quite happily understeer into oblivion if you're not careful as it's FWD.
Reply 28
Original post by Nuffles
I'm on my third van since I've been working there as I haven't settled on one yet and I keep on borrowing other people's, they're all the same van though. I've not filled up twice on the same van yet, but it's got a 100 litre tank so fill ups are £130+, so glad it's not coming out of my pocket! I'd guess in the high 20's-low 30's though, maybe lower than that.

I think you're underestimating what a large van is like to drive. It looks like a brick and drives like one :tongue: Lots of body roll in corners and it'll quite happily understeer into oblivion if you're not careful as it's FWD.

100 litre tank damn.

You must feel like a boss driving something so big

I often see big transits being pelted round bends and country roads just as fast as my Accord so they can't be that bad handling
I would say average.
I almost always reverse into a space, which means it's slower. But I always get it very close to the middle. If I don't, I will slightly adjust because I'm a bit of a perfectionist about my parking and can't stand leaving it closer to one side than the other.
Parallel parking is fine too.

Although, with how terribly I see just about everyone else parks (e.g. not in the lines at all, or basically on top of them so it's very hard to get out of the car, never adjusting even if it's terrible, on the pavement, etc), that's probably above average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending