The Student Room Group

In Uni, retake an A level?

Hello there,

I am studying Physics and am in my third year. My A level grades weren't tremendous (ACC), my only A was in Maths.

One thing that bugs me is that although I am studying Physics, I got a C at A level (very nervous in the exam). I know I was lucky securing my place at uni. I know if I retake I will get a higher grade, is it worth it?

I feel if I apply for post-doc at other unis, my A level grades are deplorable and I won't stand a chance.

Even on my CV I don't feel proud of my grades.

I guess it will be a confidence boost being able to brandish a higher grade on my CV.

Is it necessary though?
Reply 1
Yes it's worth it if you wish to get into very good graduate schemes. After degree is screened A level grades are next.
Original post by Tkenson
Yes it's worth it if you wish to get into very good graduate schemes. After degree is screened A level grades are next.

If I am able to bump up to AAC, will the last C look bad? It was in Chemistry.
I think I would be able to get to A* if I retake the physics a level, its just that the exams can be tricky.

Also, I'm unsure how to go about this. Should I contact my university advisor?
I'd also like to tutor. I know tutoring physics can be hard to come by so this would be a benefit having a higher grade.
Reply 4
I would resit all that you wish to improve and think you can improve, then take them at a private exam centre, you can email them and enter for the exams needed (paid), after taking the exam next (May-July) you will receive results in August just as normal A level students would. Also in my opinion it would indeed look better to get your grades to AAA or above.
(edited 9 years ago)
Weighing up the options, is it worth spending the money and time retaking the A level for a higher grade, whereas if I get 1st or 2.1 in my degree, will it matter too much?

In my GCSEs i got 8 A* and 2 As if that means anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending