The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AshleeDrake26
Is anyone thinking about travelling to the West? Maybe Santa Monica? I'm applying to loads of restaurants and cafes for work and thinking of subletting UCLA student accommodation for the time I will be there. I have plans to hire a car and travel to Seattle after and then fly to New York and do that Philli and Washington DC after if anyone is interested?

Sounds like a good plan, have you heard anything back yet?

Also, does anyone know what the best time is to either resort to upgrading to the ultimate package or deciding to go without a job if you've heard nothing back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by levan1222
Sounds like a good plan, have you heard anything back yet?

Also, does anyone know what the best time is to either resort to upgrading to the ultimate package or deciding to go without a job if you've heard nothing back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They just say to either email CV's or come by when you get to Santa Monica... I love to be organised and freak out if I'm not, so I really wanna make sure I've got a job for the summer sorted with accommodation before I leave the UK.

I'm guessing you've heard nothing back from jobs you have applied too? Where about's are you wanting to work?
They just say to either email CV's or come by when you get to Santa Monica... I love to be organised and freak out if I'm not, so I really wanna make sure I've got a job for the summer sorted with accommodation before I leave the UK.

I'm guessing you've heard nothing back from jobs you have applied too? Where about's are you wanting to work?

Not yet :frown: and anywhere really, preferably near a decent area like California, Illinois or NewJersey/New York :smile:

You heard anything? Had an interview or job offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by levan1222
Not yet :frown: and anywhere really, preferably near a decent area like California, Illinois or NewJersey/New York :smile:

You heard anything? Had an interview or job offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've been reading most jobs come out on the last week of January, I think. But no not really, I'm not going to panic because if they say to me you need to nip in with a CV to be able to get a job I'll just make sure I settle on a place (probably Cali.), get accommodation sorted and then fly out early to guarantee myself a job.
From what I've been reading most jobs come out on the last week of January, I think. But no not really, I'm not going to panic because if they say to me you need to nip in with a CV to be able to get a job I'll just make sure I settle on a place (probably Cali.), get accommodation sorted and then fly out early to guarantee myself a job.

Ooooo seems abit early yet haha, thank you (y)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I haven't paid my £100 deposit yet - the only reason I want to pay is so that I can access the Job zone. I have heard a lot of people talking about the Job Zone being "tiny"? Can someone elaborate a little more on this?
Are there only 20 or so jobs, or is it just not broad enough in terms of type / location of employment?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by JimmyJingles
Hi guys, I haven't paid my £100 deposit yet - the only reason I want to pay is so that I can access the Job zone. I have heard a lot of people talking about the Job Zone being "tiny"? Can someone elaborate a little more on this?
Are there only 20 or so jobs, or is it just not broad enough in terms of type / location of employment?

Thanks in advance!

There is probably around 20 jobs currently on there. Most jobs in the East too. It is tiny, but the fact that BUNAC sort your CIEE document and J-1 Visa etc. is helpful. There is an event on in London at the beginning of next month where you can get hired on the spot, but you have to be on the ultimate package which is an extra £200 which I would do but I'm already having to budget for the trip as I'm using my student loan to fund all of this.

You will have to look for your own jobs. Which can be very difficult.
There is probably around 20 jobs currently on there. Most jobs in the East too. It is tiny, but the fact that BUNAC sort your CIEE document and J-1 Visa etc. is helpful. There is an event on in London at the beginning of next month where you can get hired on the spot, but you have to be on the ultimate package which is an extra £200 which I would do but I'm already having to budget for the trip as I'm using my student loan to fund all of this.

You will have to look for your own jobs. Which can be very difficult.

20 jobs?! thats awful haha
Yeah, my student loan is what's funding me aswell. Where are you looking at working? Im hoping Cali as a Lifeguard, but this is obviously really difficult!
Original post by JimmyJingles
20 jobs?! thats awful haha
Yeah, my student loan is what's funding me aswell. Where are you looking at working? Im hoping Cali as a Lifeguard, but this is obviously really difficult!

Cali preferably but most probably will end up on the East coast and travel to Cali for a month after. There are some lifeguard jobs on the the job zone, try J1 jobs... Also you might just wanted to do a google search for some lifeguard jobs. I don't think many find a job till Feb. anyway so don't worry now too much.
Cali preferably but most probably will end up on the East coast and travel to Cali for a month after. There are some lifeguard jobs on the the job zone, try J1 jobs... Also you might just wanted to do a google search for some lifeguard jobs. I don't think many find a job till Feb. anyway so don't worry now too much.

That's awesome, thanks so much for your help! I think I will just pay the £100 deposit to look at the job zone - it is just my student overdraft that I will be paying with anyway haha
I haven't heard about J1 jobs, though. Cheers for that
Reply 50
Hi there, the online Job Zone is just ONE part of the Essentials package. You're required to be proactive in your job hunt with BUNAC's support. Once you are a member you'll have access to your BUNAC online account which has lots of useful documents for assistance Americanising your CV and other information for job hunting for the US. You can find out everything that the Essentials and Ultimate packages for Work Ameriaca here:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-america/how-to-book-and-costs

Thanks,

Sam
Reply 51
Original post by Bronagh42
Hey, I just paid my deposit for self placement, eep.

Does anyone know what the CIEE form is all about?

I'm starting to panic a little bit haha:eek:

Hi there,

CIEE are our partners in the USA, they will be sponsoring your visa for working in America over the summer.

DATE FOR THE DIARY
4th February - Work America Jobs Fair - 10am-6pm
http://bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-america/job-fair
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1578161335759915/

Here's a Facebook group of it makes things any easier!

And can I just say about looking for a job, last year before I had my job with full placement I was panicking so I tried to find one myself. I sent out just over 200 emails and from that I got 1 job offer. You have to be really persistent! In the end BUNAC came through really well with a job for me of full placement.. eventually!
I've managed to secure my job but I started really early and I've been persistent (probably annoying) with emails. I know the West Chop Club are hiring and I got offered a job there before I took the one on Catalina Island, they are really nice the pay is ace, accommodation and food sorted for a week for $100. So if anyone is struggling definitely get in touch with Gary.
Reply 54
Anyone @ Piping Rock Club or Half Moon Enterprises ?
Does anyone know if you can apply to BUNAC before you have actually started uni?
Reply 56
Original post by Kathleen_Wh
Does anyone know if you can apply to BUNAC before you have actually started uni?

Hi Kathleen, you have to have already started university in order to apply. This is one of the conditions of the J-1 visa.

http://bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-america/visas
Can anyone give me some advice on the rough overall cost on how much it is?

Quick Reply

Latest