The Student Room Group

Woman on the bus practically FORCED me to give up my seat for her husband :/

I was on the bus earlier (seats near the front) when an old chinese woman (was probs in her late fifties/early 60s) and a man who was presumably her husband came in. I was sitting next to a guy with headphones in and she asked him to stand up (rather rudely) and when he didn't hear her the first time, she tapped (more of a shove) his shoulder and he got up for her. She then looked at me and said "can you move" as she obviously wanted her husband to sit with her. Her husband told me to just continue sitting and then she said "no, she'll move". I just stared at for a few seconds in awe at how rude she was being (the whole bus was staring at us at this point) and then just stood up and went to the back as i didn't want to cause a scene. I ALWAYS give up my seat for the elderly (and was about to before she even asked) and they're usually kind and grateful. I was just stunned at how disrespectful this woman was being.
what would you have done in this situation?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd of told her to get lost.
Original post by xmertic
I'd of told her to get lost.

I so badly wanted to, believe me.
Wow, how rude! TBH I guess I would've done the same as you as I don't like to cause scenes. Elderly or not elderly though, that woman had a serious issue with manners. Even if she were in a wheelchair, that's no way to speak to another person. She definitely could've asked more politely. Nothing irks me more than people that don't say please and thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by Secretnerd123
I so badly wanted to, believe me.

Did you move for her in the end?
Reply 5
This is why you don't sit at the front, the old people think they own the front half of the bus.

Best place to sit is at the back, not to be rude, but no old person is going to be able to get to the back.
Original post by xmertic
Did you move for her in the end?

Yeah (said it in the OP). She is probably used to getting her way all the time. If only she was a little younger, I would've told her to find another seat and learn some bloody manners
Should have told her to **** off (srs)
I was on the bus earlier (seats near the front) when an old chinese woman (was probs in her late fifties/early 60s) and a man who was presumably her husband came in. I was sitting next to a guy with headphones in and she asked him to stand up (rather rudely) and when he didn't hear her the first time, she tapped (more of a shove) his shoulder and he got up for her. She then looked at me and said "can you move" as she obviously wanted her husband to sit with her. Her husband told me to just continue sitting and then she said "no, she'll move". I just stared at for a few seconds in awe at how rude she was being (the whole bus was staring at us at this point) and then just stood up and went to the back as i didn't want to cause a scene. I ALWAYS give up my seat for the elderly (and was about to before she even asked) and they're usually kind and grateful. I was just stunned at how disrespectful this woman was being.
what would you have done in this situation?

Well, she was rather rude.

I would have probably still moved, just to let the man sit down, but I would have most likely told the woman to be more respectful in the future.
Reply 9
Yeah (said it in the OP). She is probably used to getting her way all the time. If only she was a little younger, I would've told her to find another seat and learn some bloody manners

I don't think age matters... if a 90 year old asked me to move like that I'd of just bluntly said no.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Should have told her to **** off (srs)

I didn't wanna cause a scene. And she certainly didn't seem like one to give up that easily.
Reply 11
I think this was probably a one off. I've encountered a few rude elderly people on public transport myself from different ethnic backgrounds.
I think moving was the right thing, otherwise you would have appeared like the rude one, but you should have pointed out how rude she was being. Nothing worse than a sense of entitlement.
I wouldn't have moved. :no:
Would have thought of something witty. Just generally try to be as much of a dickhead as possible.

Would have asked how badly she wanted the seat. Then would have asked her to beg for it etc.
No way would I have got up if that's the way I was asked.
Original post by _jake_
:borat:

Yeah you get chinese people born in the UK!!!
Original post by tengentoppa
I think moving was the right thing, otherwise you would have appeared like the rude one, but you should have pointed out how rude she was being. Nothing worse than a sense of entitlement.

Yeah looking back, I should've done that.

Original post by ChickenMadness
Would have thought of something witty. Just generally try to be as much of a dickhead as possible.

Would have asked how badly she wanted the seat. Then would have asked her to beg for it etc.

Looooool you cant really do that in a full silent bus and plus I would've looked like the world's biggest prat.
Reply 18
Original post by queensboy
Yeah you get chinese people born in the UK!!!

Well then they'd be British! But I get what you mean, it was just really funny to read!! :tongue:
Original post by EXTREMEninja
I agree with most of that, but I'm not sure how religion is relevant here...?

It's not at all relevant, some people seem to believe you can only have morals and manners if they are hammered into you by a ***insert religious figure of authority here***.

Latest