The Student Room Group

Can you get blood in urine alongside a cold without having a chronic immune problem?

Last year I had an episode of heamaturia (blood in urine). I felt I'll/tired days before I got the blood then my urine turned pinkish. The blood persisted for several days then I developed a bad cold. The blood still continued and my urine was brown, red and looked black at one point. Gp confirmed it was blood and it lasted 10 days in total. When I first noticed it I went to the gp and after tests it was confirmed there was no infection or uti. I was referred for scans, a bladder cytoscopy and ct scan and all were clear no stones etc. Kidney function tests were normal I think the egfr was 80 at first then went up to 85. 2 months later a urology doctor said that I still had microscopic amounts of blood in my urine and that he would refer to nephrology. On a further appointment though the urologist consultant said that because all scans were clear there was nothing to worry about and that it was probably just a virus that had affected my kidneys.

A bit off topic but 5 months after that I also developed a bald patch on my head and was diagnosed with alopecia aereata. It gre back and I've been fine since.

I've never heard of anyone else having blood in their urine with a cold though :/. Only thing that I know of that causes heamaturia with a cold is iga nephropathy but no one has mentioned this to me. I asked about it be the urologist said even if it is they couldn't treat it.

Is is it very likely that I have iga though or is it possible to get heamaturia with a cold as a one off??
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone? Has anyone had similar symptoms
Regardless of whatever anyone else posts, you should seek medical attention as soon as you can

Quick Reply

Latest