The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Deciding 5th and Final University Choice

I'm currently halfway through the UCAS process and will be submitting my application very soon to study Geography starting in September 2015. However I cannot decide which university to put down as my final choice. I've visited both the Universities of Leicester and Reading. Leicester had a good course but awful accommodation and Reading had an okay course but good accommodation. I was just looking for some advice on how I should decide between the two and which one I should put down.

Many thanks in advance.
Which place did you feel more at home at and can really imagine yourself living there for 3 years?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by R_Scudamore
I'm currently halfway through the UCAS process and will be submitting my application very soon to study Geography starting in September 2015. However I cannot decide which university to put down as my final choice. I've visited both the Universities of Leicester and Reading. Leicester had a good course but awful accommodation and Reading had an okay course but good accommodation. I was just looking for some advice on how I should decide between the two and which one I should put down.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello!

I'm glad to hear you are considering the University of Reading as one of your choices! Choosing universities can be very difficult but it is important that you take a number of considerations into account.

Firstly your course is probably the most important as you will be studying it for three years! Maybe look specifically into what modules you can take in each year-perhaps some will really interest you more than others. If studying abroad is something you want to do then do check out the opportunities that are at the university in connection with your course.

Do check the university activities too as they are a big part of university life. Is there a wide range of societies and events held by the union? You can check out the societies at Reading here on this link:
http://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/
Perhaps the student services is something of a priority in terms of helping you gain skills for your future career or advice and support on wellbeing.

When deciding on my university choices, I also looked at the location. Sometimes you only gain a real sense of what its like when you visit the university in person and this can be quite different to what you expected. For example, I really liked the sound of some universities but when I visited I just couldn't imagine myself studying there for three years. This is different for everyone. Its not to say that a particular university is bad, its just simply that its not for you. Reading is in a great situation being on a big green campus- its nice to be in an enclosed student environment and this is something I really liked. At the same time there are lots of things to do in town as well as on campus.

I think wherever you end up studying you'll have a great university experience. Reading was actually my insurance choice, but I'm so glad everything worked out the way it did! My friend studies Geography and is really enjoying it- she's currently in Norway on her term abroad.

Good luck with deciding and feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by swarfliam
Which place did you feel more at home at and can really imagine yourself living there for 3 years?

Well probably Reading. Although I also felt comfortable at Leicester. Hence my dilemma. I really don't know what to put down and want to get my application sent off within the next week. Do I prioritise course or accommodation?
Original post by R_Scudamore
Well probably Reading. Although I also felt comfortable at Leicester. Hence my dilemma. I really don't know what to put down and want to get my application sent off within the next week. Do I prioritise course or accommodation?

Course, it lasts 3 years, accommodation only 1!
Reply 5
Original post by swarfliam
Course, it lasts 3 years, accommodation only 1!

Thanks for the help. I've finally decided and have decided to go with Leicester. As you said, accommodation is only one year while the course is three.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending