The Student Room Group

Driving Lessons in Newcastle

Hey guys,

I'm studying here at Newcastle University and was wondering if any of you know of some good driving schools/instructor, what your experience has been with them, cost etc?

I know how to drive a bit already, but I think I'd still like to start as a beginner. I've heard that some driving companies you've gotta stay away from (like AA, Red etc.) cuz they're just a business, tryna meet targets etc. Open to a personal recommendation also.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not from Newcastle so can't help with specifics but I just wanna disagree with what you put about the AA. They are a business, but so is every driving instructor. They either work for a business or run their own business franchise. Yeah they've all got targets but that's the same with everything.

I learnt with the AA and couldn't credit them enough, brand new, well maintained cars that are changed every six months - ensures they are always in top condition opposed to some private insurers who are teaching in really old cars. My instructor was also really nice, targets don't even come into it with them. They want to teach you to the best of your ability and if you fail, you fail. There's no anger because of 'targets' they just persevere and help you fix where you went wrong. I couldn't recommend mine enough, quite a few of my friends are with the AA now and are also loving their experience.

Ultimately your choice about who you learn with, after all it is your time and money being spent, but don't shun the big companies too quick - they're often more reliable with higher standards of teaching because they're recognised nationwide.

Good luck and happy driving :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending