The Student Room Group

American Applicant - What are my chances? and Advice?

Hey all,

Fairly new here, although I've been lurking around. I'm an American high school student.

I'm currently in my second to last year of high school, so I'm thinking quite a bit about higher education. In addition to applications to American Universities, I want to apply to Cambridge (St. John's College), Durham (St. Chad's College), KCL, Manchester, and Warwick for Computer Science (with Management where possible).**

I will be applying with official scores (not predicted) of 5s (highest score) in AP Computer Science, AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, AP Environmental Science, AP Microeconomics, AP Macroeconomics, and AP Chinese.

In my last year of high school, I will be also studying AP English Literature, AP Psychology, and AP Art History.*

I'm also thinking about self-studying A-levels in Further Mathematics and take the CIE version in the States. However, I am really adverse to getting a conditional offer.

Please let me know how you think I will do at each of the universities, whether I should pursue A levels in Further Mathematics, and what else I can do to increase my chances.

*I do have the option of taking AP Chemistry in my last year, but again I'm adverse to getting a conditional offer. Apparently, Physics, CS, Calculus, and Statistics should be enough math/science subjects for offers at all the Universities.

**Since I will be applying to Computer Science at Cambridge, will including Management in my Personal Statement be a huge detriment? I'm worried they will see it as a lack of dedication to Computer Science.
I know that in America and on college confidential it is common to ask people to chance them, however in the UK it is difficult for anyone other than the university to give a reliable indication of your chances of success. The website of each British university gives very clear requirements, if you meet this benchmark then you have a chance. I don't know enough about APs or indeed A level mathematics to comment on whether they are similar, I would advise you ask this question either in the Cambridge forum or the mathematics forum. Have you looked at the past papers for A level further maths? They are available on the various exam board websites, do you cover the same material in APs? If not then it probably would be a good idea to do it.

Original post by WoanderinCC
Since I will be applying to Computer Science at Cambridge, will including Management in my Personal Statement be a huge detriment? I'm worried they will see it as a lack of dedication to Computer Science.

Yes, probably although it depends what you mean by management and in what context you mention it.
Reply 2
Original post by Samual
I know that in America and on college confidential it is common to ask people to chance them, however in the UK it is difficult for anyone other than the university to give a reliable indication of your chances of success. The website of each British university gives very clear requirements, if you meet this benchmark then you have a chance. I don't know enough about APs or indeed A level mathematics to comment on whether they are similar, I would advise you ask this question either in the Cambridge forum or the mathematics forum. Have you looked at the past papers for A level further maths? They are available on the various exam board websites, do you cover the same material in APs? If not then it probably would be a good idea to do it.

Yes, probably although it depends what you mean by management and in what context you mention it.

I've looked at the similarities of the math papers, but my concern is just how the UK Universities see them. For example, A level Further Mathematics includes a little more than AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC, and AP Physics C Mechanics put together. However, despite this A level equalling about 3 AP tests, Cambridge St John's only requires 4 AP tests of scores of 5. Looking at their requirements, Cambridge seems to view AP and A levels fairly equally, even though APs are clearly easier. I suppose this was why I wanted to be chanced.

About Management in the PS: I'm applying to CS with Management at every university other than Cambridge. So, I don't know whether I should include Management in the PS. Advice, please?
I've looked at the similarities of the math papers, but my concern is just how the UK Universities see them. For example, A level Further Mathematics includes a little more than AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC, and AP Physics C Mechanics put together. However, despite this A level equalling about 3 AP tests, Cambridge St John's only requires 4 AP tests of scores of 5. Looking at their requirements, Cambridge seems to view AP and A levels fairly equally, even though APs are clearly easier. I suppose this was why I wanted to be chanced.

About Management in the PS: I'm applying to CS with Management at every university other than Cambridge. So, I don't know whether I should include Management in the PS. Advice, please?

With regards to your maths problems, I really don't know. If Cambridge only asks for APs and you have/will have them then I personally would not bother with the A level in Further Maths. If you are in doubt then phone/email the St John's admissions tutor and ask them directly if it will make a difference.

You would certainly be risking rejection from Cambridge if you added a seemingly random paragraph that is just about management and nothing else in your personal statement. If you can find a way of subtly blending management into your PS then you should be okay.
Reply 4
Original post by Samual
With regards to your maths problems, I really don't know. If Cambridge only asks for APs and you have/will have them then I personally would not bother with the A level in Further Maths. If you are in doubt then phone/email the St John's admissions tutor and ask them directly if it will make a difference.

You would certainly be risking rejection from Cambridge if you added a seemingly random paragraph that is just about management and nothing else in your personal statement. If you can find a way of subtly blending management into your PS then you should be okay.

Most of my other universities are CS with Management courses, not joint honors or two courses, so do you think just talking about CS is fine?

I was planning to describe my skills that could be linked to both CS and Management. I suppose if I just mentioned Management once, it'd be fine?
Most of my other universities are CS with Management courses, not joint honors or two courses, so do you think just talking about CS is fine?

I was planning to describe my skills that could be linked to both CS and Management. I suppose if I just mentioned Management once, it'd be fine?

I don't know, I have no experience with Computer Science or Cambridge for that matter. I can only give you my opinion which is what I've done, for a more definite answer you will have to ask the university. As for the personal statement... perhaps you should read old personal statements in the library to get an idea of what to say - there must be some combined computer science PS' in there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending